uniqs
share rss forum feed

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to jsouth

Re: Doors

As one who has been robbed in a nice neighborhood this is what I learned.

A good door is a deterrent. Double keyed dead bolts are great if you don't have small children.
Install a floor safe outside the master bedroom
You can't stop a pro
Alarms do nothing for most people
The police are minutes away when you have seconds
Make the thief want to go next door
Use 2.5" or longer wood screws to secure the striker plate and hinge plates
Use liquid nails to secure all wood to wood surfaces. use 2.5" screws to secure these surfaces and use opposing angles
Use pins on exterior doors (from the hinge door to the jam) to keep anyone from removing hinges

I could add big dog, gun and don't be prey but...

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:2
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel

said by mityfowl:

True, since most alarm systems are installed in a way that the alarm can not be heard from outside.

A siren and flashing light on the outside of the house is the way to go. That in itself will be a pretty damned good deterrent. In seconds the whole neighborhood will be alerted. The would-be thief isn't going to stick around.

Just be careful to avoid false alarms!

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

said by TheMG:

said by mityfowl:

True, since most alarm systems are installed in a way that the alarm can not be heard from outside.

A siren and flashing light on the outside of the house is the way to go. That in itself will be a pretty damned good deterrent. In seconds the whole neighborhood will be alerted. The would-be thief isn't going to stick around.

Just be careful to avoid false alarms!

When I had my other house the system had a outdoor bull horn siren. when it would go off, traffic on the main road would stop thinking a emergency vehicle would be coming.