La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Just Bob

Re: Reddit co-founder Aaron Swartz found dead.

I've no doubt the prosecution probably pushed him over the edge, and yes, the prosecutor is to blame for that. But it appears that he had issues long before that started.

I don't want to get into a debate over what caused him to do what he did, that is something we will probably never know.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
said by La Luna:

I've no doubt the prosecution probably pushed him over the edge, and yes, the prosecutor is to blame for that. But it appears that he had issues long before that started.

I don't want to get into a debate over what caused him to do what he did, that is something we will probably never know.

More in that vein:
»www.loopinsight.com/2013/01/12/h···d-at-26/

Swartz was also an information activist who often worked outside the law and suffered the consequences. He downloaded and publicly released Federal court documents stored in the government’s PACER database, kicking off an investigation by the FBI. At the time of his death, Swartz was being prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney for Massachusetts for violating the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in connection with his unauthorized access to MIT’s computer network to download a large amount of files from JSTOR, an online repository of academic journal articles.

Some have speculated that the specter of prosecution and imprisonment in connection with the JSTOR incident drove Swartz to suicide. Doctorow didn’t discount the possibility, but also noted that Swartz had suffered with depression. Swartz himself talked about his depression and suicidal ideation publicly in comments he made after parting company with Condé Nast following its acquisition of Reddit in 2006.

--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Just Bob
Premium
join:2000-08-13
Spring Hill, FL
»lessig.tumblr.com/post/403474630···as-bully
The billions of snippets of sadness and bewilderment spinning across the Net confirm who this amazing boy was to all of us. But as I’ve read these aches, there’s one strain I wish we could resist:

Please don’t pathologize this story.

No doubt it is a certain crazy that brings a person as loved as Aaron was loved (and he was surrounded in NY by people who loved him) to do what Aaron did. It angers me that he did what he did. But if we’re going to learn from this, we can’t let slide what brought him here.
--
"...an imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics." Plutarch
Judging other people is easy. Understanding them can break your heart.