spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sinkhole

join:2013-01-13

Wireless vs Ethernet

Got the SMC modem a quite a while ago from Rogers. In the past several months maybe to a year now, I've noticed a degradation in the wireless connection, to the point today its almost intolerable. I think since the last major update they pushed through. I may have even come on here a the time under an ALT moaning about it. Similarly I may have come on here when I got the modem and the extreme plus raving about it and showing off the download speeds.

Somethings changed and I just did some quick tests this morning.

consistent wireless download = 45-50Mbps
consistent wired downloard = 90-100Mbps

Two difference machines with two different WiFi cards. Both speeds are consistent.

I am very very sure it was not like this in the past, i.e. that slow. As I say I came on here praising it and probably posted a screen cap, how good it was back when it came out. Something has changed in the last several months to a year or even more,

I reset the modem to factory settings, same result.

Anyone have any tips suggestions to speed this up? I'm not clear if its the modem, the output from Rogers (since wired is double), or what.

Thanks

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
The wireless chipsets in the gateway modems are crap. Just invest in your own modem and put your SMC into bridge mode and be done with it.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to sinkhole
^^^^

What he said, however, you may need to call Rogers for them to do that. My current modem will only go in bridge mode if Rogers does it. Then I have the issue of having to hook the computer up to it manually after that to make adjustments.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

franklyong
Cisco Geek

join:2004-12-05
Canada
kudos:1
reply to sinkhole
Hook up a Wireless Router in a different Network like if the Rogers is in the 192.168.0.0 subnet and have the Router in the 192.168.1.0 subnet. Heck it's not ideal but it does the job.