kudos:3

1 edit
reply to chachazz

Re: All versions of the Java plugin are blocked

Click for full size
Java not blocked here
Click for full size
After restart, now shows this
Maybe I'm not understanding something, or I did things a bit different, but from what I can tell, Java plugins are not being "blocked by default" on my system.

I was running Waterfox, and had Java already installed.

So, I went ahead (after saving my profile) and uninstalled Waterfox. I also made sure to remove my profile directory, and any other directories for Waterfox that were left behind.

I then installed Firefox 18.0. Since I did not have a profile left behind from Waterfox, it was a "clean" and "fresh" install of Firefox 18.0, using a brand new profile.

However, when I load the Add-On screen (which, btw, is in a different place then it is in Waterfox), I was a bit shocked to find that Java is NOT disabled. The screen shot above is what my Plugins view looks like.

Looks like Java is still enabled to me!

Thoughts?

EDIT

When I was done with this post, I closed Firefox, and was going to start the process to put Waterfox back on. Before I did, I wanted to test something else, so I re-opened Firefox. I then went and looked at the Plugins again, but this time, I saw something new. If you look at the 2nd picture, the Java Plug in is still enabled, but now I see the little warning above it, and the background kind of has this red/pink slashes though it (to help draw attention to it for the end user).

Still not "Disabled" yet, but the warning is good. Still not sure why by default the two java plug-ins were not "disabled" as it appears they should have been.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK

3 edits

I installed the latest Java version last night, and now the Java(TM) Platform Plugin doesn't even appear in the Plugins list. Only the Deployment Toolkit does and it's disabled. At the moment I can't enabled it if I wanted, unless there's some setting within FF or the Java Control Panel I've yet to see.

Update: Just installed Java 7u11 and only the Deployment Toolkit is listed (disabled). The Platform Plug-in isn't even there.

After reading: »kb.mozillazine.org/Java it seems that I'm missing the registry key for it which is why FF is not seeing it.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

said by MarkRH:

I installed the latest Java version last night, and now the Java(TM) Platform Plugin doesn't even appear in the Plugins list. Only the Deployment Toolkit does and it's disabled. At the moment I can't enabled it if I wanted, unless there's some setting within FF or the Java Control Panel I've yet to see.

Update: Just installed Java 7u11 and only the Deployment Toolkit is listed (disabled). The Platform Plug-in isn't even there.

Same thing here. I had to also install this for Firefox. Now I see it in plugins. I think the other download is for IE:

»java.com/en/download/index.jsp
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
reply to MarkRH

Click for full size
said by MarkRH:

Update: Just installed Java 7u11

Interesting, as I did not know that 7u11 was out. When I run the plugin check, it says I'm up to date with Java on the 7U10 version.

No matter, I've seen delays in that before. So, I'll upgrade to 7u11 and see if that makes any difference for me with my Firefox test.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

Download 7u11:
»www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/···dex.html

This release contains fixes for security vulnerabilities. For more information, see Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2013-0422.

Release notes:»www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/···856.html

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

said by MarkRH:

Same thing here. I had to also install this for Firefox. Now I see it in plugins. I think the other download is for IE:

»java.com/en/download/index.jsp

Unlike Flash, there's not separate install programs for Java. As it turns out, the Java 7u11 Installer failed to create the necessary Registry Key for FF to even see the plugin. I followed the instructions here: »kb.mozillazine.org/Java by installing Java7u9, exporting out the Registry Key, installing Java7u11, modifying the version numbers in the .reg file I made and then importing it.

Oh, I changed the version numbers from 1.7.0_9 to 1.7.0_11 and the JavaPlugin,version=10.9.2 to JavaPlugin,version=10.11.2 everywhere in the file. Now FF sees the Platform plug-in so that I can enable/disable it when needed.