join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

3 recommendations

reply to Bob4

Re: Brand names

said by Bob4:

You can thank Wal-Mart.

No: you are confusing an effect with the vehicle by which an effect makes itself known. It's your fellow man that you have to thank for this, as he has made it perfectly clear he that he shops on price alone.

A few of us on the planet, including some here, do value spending more for better quality, but our tastes are so much in the minority that it's simply not profitable to cater to them.

This totally blows :-(

Steve
--
Stephen J. Friedl | Unix Wizard | Security Consultant | Orange County, California USA | my web site

join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL
said by Steve:

No: you are confusing an effect with the vehicle by which an effect makes itself known. It's your fellow man that you have to thank for this, as he has made it perfectly clear he that he shops on price alone.

This totally blows :-(

Steve

Yup and the term acceptable failure rate becomes part of the design.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Steve
said by Steve:

said by Bob4:

You can thank Wal-Mart.

Which is why companies like BMW are out of business because people refuse to pay that much money for a car.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
Foothill Ranch, CA
said by Bob4:

Which is why companies like BMW are out of business because people refuse to pay that much money for a car.

Nobody could possibly believe that every market operates exactly like — or even a little bit like — every other market.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Until Wal-Mart starts selling cars.

It's the availability of crap for cheap prices that causes people to buy the cheap crap.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
Foothill Ranch, CA

1 recommendation

said by Bob4:

It's the availability of crap for cheap prices that causes people to buy the cheap crap.

The technical term for this is "filling a market need", and bemoaning Wal-Mart is like blaming your house for the appetite of the termites.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
I disagree.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Bob4
Really - they are out of business?????? Trust me - they are not anywhere NEAR out of business.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
Foothill Ranch, CA
said by CylonRed:

Really - they are out of business?????? Trust me - they are not anywhere NEAR out of business.

He was attempting to demonstrate a counter-example to my claim by way of sarcasm.