Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Can someone refer me to the correct Toastman download: ASUS

*** Caution: Newbie Alert!!! ***

Hello:

I am having some difficulty in finding the correct down load link for the correct TOASTMAN .trx to download for my:

"ASUS RT-N66U Gigabit Router Dual-band Wireless-N900"

If someone could point me to the correct TOASTMAN .trx download link, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob.
RobThompson

RobThompson

Premium Member

Hello:

Does anyone know if the following would be the correct Toastman .trx for my ASUS?

tomato-K26USB-1.28.0501.2MIPSR2Toastman-RT-N-VLAN-VPN.trx

Thanks,

Rob.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to RobThompson

MVM

to RobThompson
The best place for information on Toastman etc is at the following link

Common Tomato Topics ------- (Help & Information)

Be prepared for a lot of frustration as you go through the learning curve.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks mozerd.

I think that you are correct - I'm already frustrated and I don't even know if I have found the proper Toastman version yet, let alone set it up.

I guess I'll have to 'up' my medication...

Rob.

BlueMist
join:2011-01-24
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to RobThompson

to RobThompson
You might find reading the info at this link of interest. It is basically about your router and Toastman's firmware.

»www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· r.36959/

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks BlueMist.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I'm not familiar enough with Toatstman's builds to point you to the right one, but Shibby's builds for that model are here: »tomato.groov.pl/download ··· u%2064k/

I run the AIO on the N66U and it's been great. Not that I push it hard, although I did use it to serve up an nfs share over dlna for a while.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks clarknova.

That's the kind of 'specific' link I needed, and, I'll tell you why...

For the life of me, I could not tell that my router was *64k*!!!

I cannot find that info on the box, manual or at the ASUS website - how do I find that information?

I used a 32k version of Shibby because I didn't know - I'll try a 64k version today.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

I don't specifically remember where I learned that, but I think it was on the linksysinfo.org forums.

This page is a very good reference, although it says nothing about the nvram: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As ··· _routers

BlueMist
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to RobThompson

to RobThompson
Even if you don't run DD-WRT here is a link to a router database that gives info about Ram, yours shows RAM size of 256MB and Flash size of 32MB.

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· _Devices

In your case either scroll down to your router or click on the Asus entry and you will go to the list of Asus hardware.

I use the database all the time to identify the size of the memories and voltage/current of the needed power supplies as I occasional get my hands on routers with no documentation or power adapters. Knowing what to set my universal DC power supply for makes testing the boxes much easier and it helps to know the power adapter has enough amperage to handle the load.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks BluMist!

Good thing that I did not get around to flashing with the 64MB download!!!!

Rob.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

It's not a 64MB download, it's a 64K download. The RT-N66u has 32MB of flash and 64KB of nvram. The firmware lives on the flash, the configuration settings live on the nvram.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

I got the following from: www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Su···_Devices

Model -------------------- RT-N66U
H.W. rev -------------------- -
FCC ID -------------------- MSQ-RTN66U
Platform & Frequency [MHz] -------------------- Broadcom BCM4706@600
RAM [MB] -------------------- 256
Flash [MB] -------------------- 32
Wireless NIC -------------------- Broadcom BCM4331 x 2
WLAN standard [802.11] -------------------- a/b/g/n
mini PCI -------------------- -
Serial port -------------------- Yes
JTAG port -------------------- Yes
Eth. port count -------------------- 4 Gbit LAN 1 Gbit WAN
Power Input [V/A] -------------------- 19V 1.6A
Special Features Notes -------------------- 2 x USB 2.0
min required DD-WRT version -------------------- K26 build 18946
Notes for Running DD-WRT -------------------- [2]

Is this incorrect?

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

The model and FCC ID agree with the one I have here in front of me, but Tomato reports that mine is a BCM5300. As you can see, it is reporting 32MB of flash, and I have installed the 64K version of shibby's firmware.

BlueMist
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I have done another scan of this forum where they are talking about this model. It appears that the database on DD-WRT does have the Flash listed as MB when it should be KB as in 32K.

Here is a copy of message #32 from Toastman talking about problems people may have using the 60k build on this router. Many are turning up bricked as a result of following the bad advise of using the larger build.

The link to the forum this has been extracted from is »www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· r.36959/

" FLASHING 60K builds on 32K routers

Just a warning to everyone.

As forum moderator, I have considered whether to delete the posts recommending that others do something that I know will brick their router, but I decided against it.

You do this at your own risk. I do not recommend it, and I would hope that people here do not recommend that others try it. If you decide to do so, please read through the following thread on tomatousb.org regarding the attempt to enable more than 32K of nvram, and try to understand why it is fraught with danger. I would consider RAY123 to be the best authority that we have on this subject and it might be wise to listen to him. Please note that the attempt was not ultimately successful and was removed from TomatoUSB, so there is no auto-detection of NVRAM size, it is hard-coded in the cfe.

»tomatousb.org/forum/t-28 ··· ram-size

While you may think you are getting something for nothing by flashing the 60K versions on routers with only 32K, one day when the cfe tries to read something that isn't in the right place, one of two things may happen. If you're very, very lucky, it may reset using defaults, or, more likely, it will brick. And once it bricks, much of the time the serial port doesn't work any more and the only way to recover is with JTAG.

And many of the newer routers aren't supported yet by JTAG ..... so it's only good for a doorstop.

The RT-N66U cfe is designed to work with 32K of NVRAM, just the same as the RT-N16U and most other routers apart from the Linksys series. When your router ends up in the skip don't say you weren't warned.

bootloader size: 262144
nvram size: 32768
Physically mapped flash: Filesystem type: squashfs, size=0x1eade0
partition size = 2103788
Creating 5 MTD partitions on "Physically mapped flash":

Please don't keep asking if I "think" this or that - you can't "negotiate" this, it doesn't matter a damn what anybody "thinks".

Also, stop saying that ASUS or LINKSYS or anyone should help - they don't and they won't. It's pointless posting stuff like this.

And now it's time to lay this to rest, as the complaints have already started pouring in from people with bricked routers who have been listening to the bad advice, and I'm beginning to get very weary of this topic and the resulting mail asking me to help fix it. Sorry, I won't. You did what you were told very clearly was a bad idea, and that's your own fault.

NB - There is no specific (named) version for this router because it is supported by the normal build.

Toastman, Mar 20, 2012
"

Hopefully this info will help put to rest the use of the 60k image on this router model. Can it work, possibly, but even the author of the image urges people not to try it as the box may die immediately or some time in the future when the box tries to use the memory that does not exist...

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

said by BlueMist:

It appears that the database on DD-WRT does have the Flash listed as MB when it should be KB as in 32K.

You have failed to grasp the difference between flash and nvram, despite my previous post in this thread.

Here is a copy of message #32 from Toastman talking about problems people may have using the 60k build on this router.

That post was from March 2012. Check out this comment from Toastman made in June 2012: »www.linksysinfo.org/inde ··· t-185081
quote:
JYAvenard has just been experimenting with this and has just added the code to Tomato - it appears to work fine. So shortly Shibby and my builds will have it also. I did post a build (1.28.0500.3) which I have since withdrawn, as the update has broken some other features.
Shibby posts in the same thread to show early results of successful testing with a 64K nvram partition.

And here is my RT-N66u reporting "actual" nvram, as per the second post in the same thread:

root@freud:/tmp/home/root# nvram show|tail -1
1250 entries, 26601 bytes used, 38935 bytes free.

clearly showing 64K of total nvram using Shibby's build 104 with 64K for this model.

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
Thanks mozerd.

I think that you are correct - I'm already frustrated and I don't even know if I have found the proper Toastman version yet, let alone set it up.

I guess I'll have to 'up' my medication...

Rob.

BlueMist
Cookeville, TN

BlueMist to clarknova

to clarknova
I agree Clarknova, it appears that I misunderstood a few things, as usual.

I'll bow out of this discussion from now on...
neftv
join:2000-10-01
Broomall, PA

neftv to RobThompson

to RobThompson
here is an interesting guide
»moonlightknighthk.wordpr ··· -router/

RobThompson
Premium Member
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks people.

I'm going to stay with my Shibby build for now as it seems to work.

When I installed it, I did use the tutorial mentioned above and my router have been working fine for 3 days, 19:17:00.

Rob.