spc
uniqs
dsl2u
join:2012-05-16
R3L3A1

dsl2u to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952

Re: Anveo call quality and review?

> I tried them for outbound and had trouble completing some calls.
But for outgoing calling you have so many free choices. As long as you can set the caller ID to match your incoming number that is.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952

Premium Member

said by dsl2u:

But for outgoing calling you have so many free choices. As long as you can set the caller ID to match your incoming number that is.

Free for outgoing? Google Voice is the only provider that I know of that offers free outgoing calls and they are taking a loss by offering it. You can get a free phone number and free incoming calls from several different sources.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

The OP being from Canada has a couple of other options available from Fongo (freephoneline.ca and fongo.com)
dsl2u
join:2012-05-16
R3L3A1
·VMedia

dsl2u to crazyk4952

to crazyk4952
Voxox, Freephoneline, Fongo, DellVoice...all have free outgoing. Probably many more. Of course they offer it on the pretext that you'll hopefully upgrade to something that you pay for.

As for a free incoming number I found it difficult to score that in anything but the larger North American cities (and most companies don't eve bother with Canada yet). If you live in a larger city you've very fortunate indeed.
What companies offer free phone lines (even in the US) that you've found? And do any allow you to forward the line to Skype so you don't even need a softphone?
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by dsl2u:

Voxox, Freephoneline, Fongo, DellVoice...all have free outgoing.

Voxox outbound calls are 1.9 cents a minute to Canada and USA.

Freephoneline, Fongo, DellVoice Canada, are different faces of the same company.

crazyk4952
Premium Member
join:2002-02-04
united state
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR
Polycom VVX300

crazyk4952 to dsl2u

Premium Member

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

As for a free incoming number I found it difficult to score that in anything but the larger North American cities (and most companies don't eve bother with Canada yet). If you live in a larger city you've very fortunate indeed.
What companies offer free phone lines (even in the US) that you've found? And do any allow you to forward the line to Skype so you don't even need a softphone?

Beggars cannot be choosers. If you are not willing to pay for an incoming DID, you have to accept what you can get!

Callcentric offers free NY DIDs. You can also get a free DID in the Seattle area from IPKALL (although you have to find a different provider that will give you a SIP address).
Iscream
Premium Member
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

Iscream

Premium Member

Regarding forwarding to Skype:

The problem is that this is _Skype_ who does NOT allow SIP forwarding to itself.

There are a few undocumented "holes" which can be explored/exploited in order to route calls to Skype, but those are not reliable and may be closed at any time.

Should Skype be willing to allow/accept SIP calls from other networks - then no problem, one may just use call treatments to SIP URI forwarding from any open network to Skype.
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve to dsl2u

Premium Member

to dsl2u
said by dsl2u:

Why try for free? less than a penny a minute is essentially free -- and you get reliable call quality.

voip.ms and flowroute both have outgoing to Canada for less than a penny a minute (.89 cent/m for flowroute, .79 cent or less/m for voip.ms). If you call the US a lot, flowroute is lower cost than Anveo or voip.ms. I have accounts with all three. 99% of my termination traffic is with Flowroute -- Never, Ever had any trouble, they support OUTBOUND CNAME, which is very cool. I have had outbound issues with voip.ms at various times, but they are generally very good, and my main origination numbers are with them. I use Anveo because they are one of the few providers who have PEI (902) origination a (for a reasonable price, that is). VoiceMeUp provides me a New Brunswick DID, but they are very unreliable, and expensive. Not recommended.
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA

Premium Member

I tried to open a flowroute account and they requested a copy of my passport. Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with what I got.
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

ouch! I didn't know flowroute was a country! Don't blame ya.
JJ_GTA
Premium Member
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

JJ_GTA

Premium Member

I can understand the carriers need to be careful with fraud, especially this kind of business. I know VoIP.ms will ask for address verification if you want to call certain countries.

In this case, I was just opening an account, didn't get very far at all. My credit card info or Paypal verification should be enough for standard North America transactions.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

said by JJ_GTA:

In this case, I was just opening an account, didn't get very far at all. My credit card info or Paypal verification should be enough for standard North America transactions.

Neither of those are really that secure as both are routinely compromised and used without authorization. If the merchant isn't shipping something, they really have no good way to authenticate a customer based on those payment methods alone (unless Verified by Visa / MasterCard Secure Code are involved, which helps drastically).
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to JJ_GTA

Premium Member

to JJ_GTA
said by JJ_GTA:

I tried to open a flowroute account and they requested a copy of my passport. Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with what I got.

I thought that Flowroute only took Amazon Payments or wire transfer ?