Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Landlord question (neighbor drama).

As a LL with quite a few rentals, I never unnecessary bother a good, paying tenant. Tenants who are following the lease have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property which the LL must respect. The fact the LL didn't bother you should be taken as a sign the LL has no problem(s) with you. Staying out of the problems with the neighbors is as simple as minding your own business when it comes to issues that don't interfere with your peaceful enjoyment of your rented premises. If their actions are having an adverse effect on the premises or your tenancy, a discussion with the LL would be in order. Otherwise, keep your head down and rent paid.

Edit to add:

Definitely agree with SwedishRider See Profile about the snail's pace of the eviction process. If there is one thing that most bad tenants know by heart, is their rights as tenants to leach as long as the court system will permit.
--
Zach

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

said by Zach1:

As a LL with quite a few rentals, I never unnecessary bother a good, paying tenant. Tenants who are following the lease have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property which the LL must respect. The fact the LL didn't bother you should be taken as a sign the LL has no problem(s) with you. Staying out of the problems with the neighbors is as simple as minding your own business when it comes to issues that don't interfere with your peaceful enjoyment of your rented premises. If their actions are having an adverse effect on the premises or your tenancy, a discussion with the LL would be in order. Otherwise, keep your head down and rent paid.

Edit to add:

Definitely agree with SwedishRider See Profile about the snail's pace of the eviction process. If there is one thing that most bad tenants know by heart, is their rights as tenants to leach as long as the court system will permit.

See bold above.

When I was over seeing properties, I all ways told the tenant(s) that if they never wanted to see me again until the lease was done - all they had to do was pay rent on time and not cause any problems. I would respect their privacy if they respected the property.
All my tenants appreciated not being bothered...except for 2 who taught me all about the eviction process.

So, if your not seeing the LL, then all is good.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Zach1

said by Zach1:

I'm not going to argue about deadbeats who use the system to their advantage. But don't forget that often laws like that are in place to protect against former abuse coming from the other direction. I'm sure that if those slow turning wheels of justice weren't there, many landlords would kick out a tenant at a moment's notice for no valid (or currently legal) reason.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1

1 edit

said by cdru:

I'm not going to argue about deadbeats who use the system to their advantage.

Then don't... Because there are many of them out there and they make life difficult for both landlords and good tenants alike. Zach1 See Profile is absolutely right... most of those deadbeats know how to milk the court system well enough leach off their landlord for far too long, causing unnecessary aggravation and higher rents for legitimate tenants.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by SwedishRider:

Then don't... Because there are many of them out there and they make life difficult for both landlords and good tenants alike. Zach 58 is absolutely right... most of those deadbeats know how to milk the court system well enough leach off their landlord for far too long, causing unnecessary aggravation and higher rents for legitimate tenants.

I think you misunderstood me. I was agreeing with him. I wasn't going to argue that deadbeats exist. They definitely do. I was just also pointing out that there are bad landlords who would otherwise make good tenants suffer if it were not for those same laws that the deadbeats manipulate to their advantage.