TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to DocLarge

Re: Configuring Trunking Between ESXi 5 server and CISCO Switch

Not sure if Im too late, or if ESXi 5 has changed since ESXi 4 but ...

When I set up my ESXi 4 host, I (had to?) configure the management VLAN ID from the text based configuration tool that you get access to from the box physically with a keyboard and screen after it boots up.

Log in and go in to a certain configuration section and you can set the VLAN ID to use for management. It is then a simple matter of trunking that VLAN ID to the box and youre off. Personally, I never use VLAN 1 for anything these days, I always choose a different VLAN for management, so Im not sure how this goes when it comes to native VLANs...

As for your screen shot showing no observed IP ranges, I get the same thing on my ESXi 4.1 host, so probably nothing wrong there (I guess because all of my packets are encapsed with VLAN headers as well.)

If you cant get management access going with a native VLAN, could you create a VLAN to do nothing (like 666 for evil), and set that as the native VLAN, allowing VLAN 1 to be tagged over the trunk, and configure your host to look for VLAN 1 as the management VLAN?

I think you might also be able to configure the VLAN ID of the management network from within the vSphere console by editing the VLAN associated with "vMotion and IP Storage".

DocLarge
Premium
join:2004-09-08
kudos:1
No answer as of yet, Tom... You know how it goes, we all know how to do a task, but sometimes we have a bit of time trying to relay it to someone else.... I still appreciate the insight from everyone... I'm taking another break due to annoyance at this point. Seriously, I know it can't be this difficult to achieve what I'm after. *groan*

Any chance Dslreports will start a "Virtualization" forum?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
said by DocLarge:

Any chance Dslreports will start a "Virtualization" forum?

Maybe about the same time they open up a Juniper forum.

DocLarge
Premium
join:2004-09-08
kudos:1
I'm sensing "snowball's chance in hell" on this one... *heh*