uniqs
share rss forum feed

warlock56
Premium
join:2002-07-31
Arlington, TX

1 edit
reply to warlock56

Re: Providers that can offer non-published phone numbers?

Ok so after a little more research, I took at a look at Callcentric's supported ATAs. The Obi100 looks like it would fit the bill nicely. As I mentioned before, all of the phone lines in the house are wired to a central location, so based on the specs I'm reading for this device, it has a 5 REN. I only need it to ring in 4 possible locations, all of them electronic, so to me it seems like this is all I need.

Another question, is there some way I can test my broadband connection to see how good its voip performance is before committing to a provider? Perhaps sign up for Callcentric service, give it a try, and if I'm satisfied have them port my number and then shut off the previous one they assigned me....would this work?

And lastly, I noticed on the Obi100 that it says 'no emergency calls'...why? Is this thing incapable of handling 911?

--
The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. -John Adams, 1787

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
said by warlock56:

Another question, is there some way I can test my broadband connection to see how good its voip performance is before committing to a provider? Perhaps sign up for Callcentric service, give it a try, and if I'm satisfied have them port my number and then shut off the previous one they assigned me....would this work?

Yep, that's exactly how many newcomers test various services.

said by warlock56:

And lastly, I noticed on the Obi100 that it says 'no emergency calls'...why? Is this thing incapable of handling 911?

The ATA can't connect to 911 all by itself which is why they say that. When used with a service provider (such as Callcentric), you'll have no problems reaching 911 once you configure the device to send emergency calls to their service.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
reply to warlock56
said by warlock56:

Definitely.

You [could] go the totally free route:

For test purposes you could also sign up for a free "IP Freedom" account from CallCentric.

»www.callcentric.com/rate/plans/ip_freedom/

You can make outbound test calls by calling 1-777-123-4567.

You can do an inbound test by using SipBroker. Using a DIFFERENT phone line, call the SipBroker access number in Dallas which is 1-214-261-9940. When you hear the welcome message, dial [*462-1-777-xxxxxxx] which is [*462] followed by your 1777xxxxxxx CallCentric account number, to call your own phone.

OR spend a few bucks:

For inbound, get a CallCentric DirtCheap phone number (DID) in your town of Arlington TX. This is 2.95 a month, unlimited inbound minutes, no setup cost.
»www.callcentric.com/did_lookup.p···_did.y=8

OR for inbound, get one of their free NY State DID's.
»www.callcentric.com/dids/free_phone_number

For outbound service, choose Pay-Per-Call (in which case add 1.50 for 911) or choose NorthAmerica 500 (which includes the 911).
»www.callcentric.com/products/

Configure your device thusly:
»www.callcentric.com/support/device/