spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hmmmmm

@204.153.26.x

Is this against ToS?

I have a client that I maintain servers for. I one office he uses a local WISP because he is out of range for U-Verse or Cable Modem. We have had issues in the past with nightly offsite backups do to limited connectivity and slow speeds. Recently however things started flowing pretty smoothly for them and I thought great! I was recently asked to install an Exchange server for them so I logged into their firewall to open up some ports for them. What I found surprised me. The WISP had removed their Linksys firewall and installed one of their own. OK, not a big deal, however what surprised me is that they were actually bridging his connection with about 20 others and using a U-Verse modem as their backhaul. Sure enough a few traceroutes later I could confirm that the wisp is backhauling about 20 or so users over the U-verse connection. I dont like the fact my clients network is being bridged #1, but does ATT allow the resell of their Business Class U-Verse?

Jerm

join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
kudos:2

Soo much fail.

Linksys. WISP hands random guy FW access. Reselling UVerse.

Quick someone sign these guys up for Cash4Traffik!

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

It's so easy to trash that network

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA
reply to Hmmmmm

DOHHH that cant be good! I know for a fact AT&T would not allow it..

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1
reply to Hmmmmm

Thats all fine and good but whats it to the customer?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Puts the customer at risk. Internet could be shut off without notice due to the WISP violating the TOS of their provider.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD

That is assuming they are.

petecarlson

join:2004-11-06
Baltimore, MD
reply to Hmmmmm

They could be bridging this client back to one of the clients other locations and then connecting it to uverse. Quite legit and no different then a PTP link between two of the clients locations. If they knew what they were doing, they would tag it on a VLAN so you couldn't see the other devices across their network. How did you determine that the 20 devices you were seeing were routing traffic out over the uverse connection?

voxframe

join:2010-08-02
reply to Hmmmmm

Something tells me this WISP left him access, or left it wide open.

Your truck of fail has arrived indeed.

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to Hmmmmm

Check again. There is always a chance they used Uverse as backup(for minutes or hours) while they had issues with their mainline. Either way, I would say it is against ATT TOS.

wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD
reply to Hmmmmm

I know a WISP that got Comcast to give reseller rights by going through Megapath. I could never get them to even consider it. Just because one or more here haven't been able to get resell rights to Uverse doesn't mean its impossible.

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
reply to Hmmmmm

Well I finally got the Reseller rights (Coax) to TWC by going through the carrier class group instead of business class group of TWC.

Chele

join:2003-07-23
reply to wirelessdog

said by wirelessdog:

I know a WISP that got Comcast to give reseller rights by going through Megapath. I could never get them to even consider it. Just because one or more here haven't been able to get resell rights to Uverse doesn't mean its impossible.

True. All you need is a well motivated sales manager that is not getting his/her quota to make things happen!

rtrice81

join:2010-01-05
reply to wirelessdog

this true, i know a few people that have been giving reselling rights to Verizon DSL Lines, Comcast and Charter lines.

gunther_01
Premium
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL
reply to Hmmmmm

Comcast has peering arrangements that lets other resell through them. I've been offered that a few times. We aren't in their area though, so it's of no help to us LOL.
--
»www.wirelessdatanet.net

jim_p_price7

join:2005-10-28
Henryetta, OK
reply to Hmmmmm

I wish I had enough free time to investigate my clients for TOS compliance.