Premium Member
join:2008-07-18
united state

bemis to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru

Re: 03 Civic engine clatter on cold days

said by cdru:

It is. I think all the VTEC engines are adjustable. They are a service item with a few more miles but there is also a clause in the maintenance book "if they are noisy". Shop labor rate is about an hour it looks like from other forums.

For some reason I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this engine was not VTEC, but I'm not sure.

I have a recall for the headlight switch which means a dealer trip. I may ask them to perform this maintenance if it's something relatively routine for a Honda specific shop.

I need the timing belt changed due to age. I've been waffling on letting my independent guy do it, or bring it to the dealer. The independent guy has always been fine for my previous car, but that was a domestic truck and he never had to actually go inside the engine...
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

I believe the non-VTEC engines also have a valve clearance adjustment.

When you have the timing belt replaced, make sure they replace the water pump at the same time.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to bemis

MVM

to bemis
said by bemis:

For some reason I thought I remembered reading somewhere that this engine was not VTEC, but I'm not sure.

That may be. I'm only really familiar with my 07 Accord with regards to VTEC. Until now I guess I was under the mistaken impression that once VTEC showed with Civics, Accords et al that it was with all of them. I didn't realize that only the advanced models of Civics had it at one time.