uniqs
share rss forum feed

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1
reply to schaps

Re: [MN] no router or firewall in standard install?

Well that wireless gateway will eventually have the 'router' part disabled and it will be turned into a modem with only LAN 1 port working with no wireless and only one IP allowed so in other words expect downtime (and no you will not be warned before it happens). Mediacom provides connection to the internet and is not responsible for securing your LAN. This has always been the case.

If you want the wireless gateway fully functional you need to pay $4/mo or so.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

The main change is DSL providers using "gateway" modems which have wireless and all included. This was a way to get customers to stay with them vs cable but then it's now a pain in the butt (well for tech people) as they also want to manage your network for you. AT&T has been removing subnets from their gateways so you can only use 2 of the 3 private ones. It helps their people with training. They can easily log into your network and see all your data going over the switch (not just the modem).

I do understand though it might seem strange and a hassle to setup your own network and all that when you just want it to work. So I guess it has it's good and bad points. I generally like to manage my network myself, they can stay out there and manage theirs!

schaps
Premium
join:2004-01-15
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Anonymous

said by Anonymous:

Well that wireless gateway will eventually have the 'router' part disabled and it will be turned into a modem with only LAN 1 port working with no wireless and only one IP allowed so in other words expect downtime (and no you will not be warned before it happens)... If you want the wireless gateway fully functional you need to pay $4/mo or so.

Was that really a reply to me as it indicated? My brother did not go for the wireless router option. I am not sure if you mean that MC would disable the router and wireless functions on their own wireless gateway, had he gone for that option?
--
--------------------------

Edumacational Technoconologist

Tehrasha

join:2004-12-15
Vinton, IA

If it was a home install, and the tech installed a modem/router combo without the Home Networking Service being purchased, the router functions would eventually be disabled.

You did not mention that this was a business install in your original post. Only that it was for your brother's 'small office'.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:1
reply to schaps

it was nice of him to do you a favor however judging by the outrage and people complaining about their internet service interrupted Mediacom is disabling these devices big time. i recommend buying your own modem and/or router.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.