Barrie, ON

heres hoping the rates go down, but still very nice packages

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Thanks. We're hoping to see some decent capacity charges come out of the Commission in the very near future.

vonSchroeder

join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

2 edits
reply to rocca

I saw the stuff about grandfathering in the other thread in Canadian Broadband. I am wondering what will happen to my service/plan since I was one of the people that was getting more than I should have. I am on the Cogeco side and I have been on the Advanced Plan since I signed up. The Advanced Plan was supposed to be 20/1.5 but I was one of the people that got 30/2 but with the 300 GB cap rather than the 400 GB cap of Pro. So I ended up on some hybrid plan that did not actually exist as on your website since I assume my profile was set wrong by Cogeco and I was given 30/2 when I should have been profiled for 20/1.5.

Now that Advanced is 30/2 and Standard is 20/1.5 what is going to happen to me. I originally signed up for what was the 20/1.5 package (Advanced). Now the Advanced package has essentially caught up to what I was already getting for the Advanced price. Will my cap simply change and everything else stay the same as I already had, i.e. 30/2 for $49.95 but now with a 250 GB cap instead of 300 GB?

EDIT: Hope you could follow all that. To summarize, up to today I was on the old Advanced and paid the old Advanced price with the old Advanced cap but received the old Pro speeds by accident.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

If you don't change anything, nothing will change at this time, ie same speed, same cap, same price. If you want to change to one of the new packages you can certainly do that but it sounds like you're better off where you are.

khronlk

join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

I guess I will ask here before calling in, plus the phones are closed anyways lol. I opted to buy the SB5101N since Sarnia is not DOC3 yet and went for the 8mb plan with 200gb since that was all I needed. I am wondering, if I wanted could I swap to the 16mb plan with 150gb and get the full 16mb with the SB5101N? I was told by one of your techs when ordering I needed the DOC3 modem to even get the 14mb speed(top speed I was told at the time).

The pricing would still be exactly the same as far as I can tell, it's just a matter if the modem will work, thanks.

daeron

join:2012-05-11
reply to rocca

Ohhh new upload in Red areas.

I'm currently on the advanced package, does this mean I'm grandfathered on the 1 upload until I make the switch?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

said by daeron:

I'm currently on the advanced package, does this mean I'm grandfathered on the 1 upload until I make the switch?

Yep.

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
reply to rocca

I am disappointed and that's mainly because of low Usage offering by Start.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to khronlk

said by khronlk:

I am wondering, if I wanted could I swap to the 16mb plan with 150gb and get the full 16mb with the SB5101N?

It will work, but whether you get the full 16Mbps, particularly during peak time, will greatly depend on your node utilization and isn't possible to know in advance unfortunately.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Guru

said by Guru:

We still have high usage plans, we simply bumped the speed up for the same price but had to reduce the caps by 50GB because of the unworkable capacity price. Even now it's still a loss in Cogeco areas until the capacity rate is fixed.

And to respect all our existing customers, we grandfathered anyone that wants to stay with what they originally ordered.

daeron

Well I don't even come near the 300GB cap, I wouldn't mind the speed increase, especially the upload. Guessing I need to phone in to make the speed change?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by daeron:

Well I don't even come near the 300GB cap, I wouldn't mind the speed increase, especially the upload. Guessing I need to phone in to make the speed change?

That's the boat most people will find themselves in, ie if you're not banging up against the top of your cap space you get a nice speed upgrade at the same price. To make the change you can call in, or send an email to support@start.ca with your customer # and letting them know what want done and we'll get the upgrade order in.

daeron

Awesome, thanks as always for the prompt service!

Guru

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

said by Guru:

We still have high usage plans, we simply bumped the speed up for the same price but had to reduce the caps by 50GB because of the unworkable capacity price. Even now it's still a loss in Cogeco areas until the capacity rate is fixed.

And to respect all our existing customers, we grandfathered anyone that wants to stay with what they originally ordered.

You reduced 150 GB for 30meg profile, how is that 50 GB reduced?

As said before, what's the point of Higher Speeds when usage is so less?

But thanks for grandfathering existing customers I guess....

Still disappointed at this change though...

vonSchroeder

join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Guru:

said by rocca:

said by Guru:

As said before, what's the point of Higher Speeds when usage is so less?

But thanks for grandfathering existing customers I guess....

Still disappointed at this change though...

You are looking at it in terms of speed profile but I believe Rocca was talking about it in terms of package and price. The $49.95 package (Advanced) went from 300 GB to 250 GB (so a 50 GB reduction), but the speed went from 20/1.5 to 30/2.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Guru

said by Guru:

And it went down $10/mo too.

The Pro in Cogeco area was definitely the most impacted one, the rest are basically same price, higher speed, 50GB less. The difference with Pro is that the price went up $20, but for that it's almost double the speed with 350GB.

No one has to change anything though, ie you still get exactly what you ordered.

I know some people were hoping that we could just roll out higher speeds and keep the price and caps the same but unfortunately the costs just don't shake out that way. Once the Commission fixes the capacity costs we'll have a lot more flexibility, but we can only eat $26,950/mo (plus backhaul, plus transit) per gig for so long...

Guru

As you mentioned, Pro in Cogeco area got a big hit and did not expect that you will lower the usage altogether.

I guess you did what you had to do! Let's wait for the commission then...

dwane
I recommend Start.ca

join:2003-10-08
Pembroke, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

but we can only eat $26,950/mo (plus backhaul, plus transit) per gig for so long...

Ugh that must suck... incumbents getting fat off your hard work, Rocca...
--
"There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous men." - Sgt. Zim.

arshad14

join:2007-03-04
Scarborough, ON
reply to rocca

I made the change today by calling in. Do I need to reset my modem or just powercycle the modem to have the affect take place 'cause I just did a speed test and I am still getting 1Mbps upload. I'm in the Red zone btw.

Start Laurie
Premium
join:2011-09-09
London, ON
kudos:1

It will take about 24 hours for the upgrade to go through. I'll note your account to have you called once we receive word it's been completed, it will need a powercycle after and you'll be good to go.

khronlk

join:2009-10-26
Sarnia, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to rocca

I accidentally posted this in the other thread but I will post it here for anyone who doesn't see the other thread.

I called in around 3pm today to switch my package up to get the faster speed and about 3-4 hours later my modem rebooted and this is what I got:

The upload isn't quite 1.5mbs but I am getting the full 16mb speed with the DOC2 modem ordered from Start. I am sacrificing 50gb for double the speed as I was on the 8mb package, I can handle that considering my average monthly usage is anywhere between 100-125gb but I have gone over 150gb before, I will just have to monitor my usage a bit more now.

arshad14

join:2007-03-04
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Start Laurie

Thank you! Now why can't other providers learn from Start when it comes to Customer Service. This little personal touch is all it takes to convince someone and make their customers happy. Doesn't take much but man does it ever go a long way. Makes us customers feel appreciated and valued.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

Thank you, we appreciate to feel valued too.

brassy

join:2004-01-09
Brantford, ON
reply to rocca

anyone in the red area get their upgrade yet?

I would assume if we dont see anything by the weekend, would be a good time to call?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

1 edit

The packages have changed in several ways, ie there isn't an automatic change to the new packages. If you want to choose a new package please contact us by phone, or just send a message to support@start.ca with your account # and which new package you want. If you've already submitted your request then it generally takes 1-2 days, but if you haven't seen the change take affect 3 days after your request feel free to check back in.

edit: And just a reminder (we seem to be getting a lot of calls still about this) - all customers are automatically grandfathered on their original package they signed up for. If you want to change to a new package you're welcome to and there is no cost, or if you prefer to stay on what you originally ordered then that happens automatically - no change to speed, cap or pricing.

sssscary

join:2007-10-23
Brockville, ON

When would the new cogeco speeds be available, if we were to switch?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by sssscary:

When would the new cogeco speeds be available, if we were to switch?

Do you mean the 4Mbps -> 6Mbps upgrade, or do you mean the new packages that we have listed now? Thanks.

sssscary

join:2007-10-23
Brockville, ON

The new packages, ie the 55Mbps

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON

said by sssscary:

The new packages, ie the 55Mbps

Don't have a date yet, but the 55Mbps will be going to 60Mbps.