IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

They might as well buy out Arris

Comcast might as well manufacture their own equipment like Western Electric manufactured Bell System equipment and was owned by Bell System.

Comcast is the Bell System of broadband Internet.

I was only two months old when the Bell divestiture occurred but I am sure that the breakup brought better service and lower rates. Hopefully Comcast will be broken up someday. It will only take 83 years (which is how long Bell System lasted before the divestiture).
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

Due to the current group in washington this probably wont happen as long as comcast keeps paying their "dues".

With the information age upon us , things should be sped up significantly, if they are going to be broken up it will happen within 10 years. Personally I doubt it highly though.

Keep employing those kicked out of office, and those who do your bidding for a buck and get a nice comfy salary after government work, those perks will prevent this from happening.
eco
Premium Member
join:2001-11-28
Wilmington, DE

eco to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I think this investment is more to sure up Arris' finances and ensure they can keep providing Comcast equipment. Motorola's home business is actually about three times the size Arris currently is so this is a big purchase and it's in Comcast's best interest to make sure they stay around.

I could be wrong but I doubt the cable hardware business is where Comcast wants to be. Should Comcast own Arris it would likely hurt Arris' business because it would make it all the more likely Comcast's competitors would look elsewhere for equipment than buy it from a division of their competitor.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

I think the Motorola set-top division should have been made part of Motorola solutions instead of Motorola mobility during the Motorola split.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I was only two months old when the Bell divestiture occurred but I am sure that the breakup brought better service and lower rates.

I remember the divestiture. Service didn't change one iota from Lily Tomlin's "Ernestine" skit":
quote:
We don't care. We don't have to. (snort) We're the Phone Company!

Oh, and the only reason my rate went down was because I declined their wire maintenance fee.
dplantz
join:2000-08-02
Bradenton, FL

dplantz

I remember divesture as well, I was 7 when it happened. The only real good thing was it caused other companies to be allowed to offer LD services and drove prices down to reasonable levels which led to most of us not paying anything extra for domestic LD service.