Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook

Re: Rogers Killing Cable TV

said by sbrook:

Jeff, Multipath (distortion) is "reflections". For analogue TV, evidence of multipath is ghosting. Say you live not too far from tall buildings. The TV signal goes direct to your antenna, but it also reflects foo the building and onto your antenna and the few additional microseconds it takes for the signal to get to your TV messes up the direct signal. This causes signal distortion.

On analogue TV, this caused the ever famous "ghosts", on digital TV, like most signal quality issues, it causes pixellation. Multipath is a real problem with rabbit ears which have poor directional discrimination. With good high-gain directional antennas the impact of multipath is dramatically reduced but it means either an antenna rotator or multiple antennas.

----

My biggest complaint is that a lot of the TV I watch is NOT available OTA ... History channel, Discovery channel, HGTV etc. so I'm tied to cable or satellite, and the channels I tend to watch are in packages that include a lot of other channels that I don't watch and wish I didn't have to pay for!

Thanks for clarifying. I was speaking to someone who had put a single antenna up on their roof and they were explaining multi-pathing -- they're pretty smart so I took his word for it.

That's good to know though, maybe a good antenna set-up is all I need.

On topic of those channels not available OTA: Apparently Apple (or someone) will be changing the way we watch TV. This isn't in reference to them making available a TV, but rather, Apps on their current Apple TV device that will allow for way more programming. Now, I admit this is inside info, but apparently it might have the power to put the cable/satellite business out of business. They were comparing it how the record and 8-track (and now CD's) and film (35mm) going obsolete.

Time are changing, and companies like Rogers need to realize this. Constantly raising the prices isn't good customer service, it's greed.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

As I mentioned in another thread, the crazy part about this, when you have probably 15 million product-customers ... a single dollar per month represents 180 million dollars profit ... or LOSS if a widespread per customer cost hits them. I'm not trying to justify Rogers actions but when you're dealing with the ability to make or lose $180 million on just a single dollar per customer, it's pretty serious stuff.

It is no wonder that call centres are staffed with low paid workers ... they need to keep costs per customer down. Sadly, what Rogers have failed to realize is that they can keep costs down by having a more reliable service, to no need so many customer support agents because problems get solved on the first call, not the 20th because the agents can't be understood or understand.

Big companies can rise to monumental heights really easily on small margins, and equally they can come crashing down even more easily. (Need I mention Nortel?)

It's finding the balance ... and sadly Rogers has tipped the scale too far against the consumer. It's why I changed to TSI and wish I could change for TV.

Beware though, any company distributing TV services will still be ridiculously expensive.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to J E F F4

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

Apparently Apple (or someone) will be changing the way we watch TV. This isn't in reference to them making available a TV, but rather, Apps on their current Apple TV device that will allow for way more programming. Now, I admit this is inside info, but apparently it might have the power to put the cable/satellite business out of business.

The content rights holders need to play along, though. And in Canada, who are the content rights holders again?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by bt:

said by J E F F4:

Apparently Apple (or someone) will be changing the way we watch TV. This isn't in reference to them making available a TV, but rather, Apps on their current Apple TV device that will allow for way more programming. Now, I admit this is inside info, but apparently it might have the power to put the cable/satellite business out of business.

The content rights holders need to play along, though. And in Canada, who are the content rights holders again?

They either play along or risk more people using VPN.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

VPN to where, exactly? The US, where the whole situation is only marginally better?

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

said by bt:

VPN to where, exactly? The US, where the whole situation is only marginally better?

If they are correct and someone puts cable and satellite to rest, yes, VPN to USA.

Although you're right, the US is only marginally better.