Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

[Voip.ms] No Ringing on outgoing calls/dropped calls

Hi MartinM,

just wanted to let you know that a bunch of my family members who I've switched to voip.ms have been complaining about the Montreal server dropping calls. They have also been complaining to me about not hearing the ringing when making out going calls and they never know if it's actually connected and working or not.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing these upgrades put into place

Thanks again,
Jonathan

NoNameCharli

@teksavvy.com

Yes, many of my clients are saying that Montreal1 is having terrible issues today and yesterday. Dropped calls, lag, dialing time connection, etc. I don't know if Montreal2 is having the same issues, or if Toronto2 is back online and working.

Martin......Anything??

vonSchroeder

join:2004-11-12
Hamilton, ON
reply to Jonathan987

I had the same issues with montreal2 today.

achalupka

join:2003-09-22
Ottawa, ON
reply to Jonathan987

I've also been seeing issues with montreal2 the last few days.

Many outgoing calls have resulted in dead air (no ringing) after I dial, with no call record on the voip.ms site. Basically, my ATA tries to complete the call, but voip.ms doesn't respond.

I've also had one dropped call, and a few incoming calls I've made haven't been received by my ATA.

This is only with very light use - I still have my Bell line as my main phone while I evaluate various VoIP offerings.

So, has anyone raised a ticket?

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Jonathan987

Christ, I can't call home (again), the DID sitting on mtl2 is not responding.
I know I don't pay a lot, but this is starting to piss me off.
The worst part is when things go bad @ voip, the number is supposed to get forwarded to my cell. That's not happening either.
--
~ Project Hope ~

sowhatski

@37.247.50.x

I live in Eastern Canada and when I began using voip.ms, I tried the Toronto and Montreal servers and had problems with them.

I tried a few others and finally settled on the Houston server, and that has been problem-free.

Don't think you have to stay with the Canadian servers because they are relatively close; try others - they have 10 or 11; I do not notice any lag because the ping times are somewhat longer; they are still pretty short.

conitssap

join:2012-08-13

I was also on the MTL server - had the same issues. Switched to premium routing and that fixed the problem. Then switched to the Chicago and back to value and everything is back to normal. I recommend switching to a server in the states - I am based in Toronto and Chicago has the quickest ping times apart from Toronto and Montreal. Can’t tell the difference and hopefully this stays stable for a bit.
You can change you 1-800 preferences so it defaults to Canadian - you will have to enter your mailbox number for VM's if that’s not your home server but you can contact support and have that changed if that’s an issue.
Hope this helps

taytong888

join:2005-06-20
Nepean, ON
reply to Jonathan987

According to MartinM, server hardware replacement has been scheduled for both Montreal(1) and Montreal2 POP this evening Wed. Jan 16.

Cheers!

Calafax

join:2007-05-07
USA
reply to conitssap

I'm in the U.S. and have always used the NY server and premium routing. NY has behaved the same way for the past few days--silence on my end when calling, or a delay before ringing. One call today seemed to time out and die with zero duration for the call listed in the CDR entry. I then made the call, without trouble, on our POTS line.

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

said by Calafax:

I'm in the U.S. and have always used the NY server and premium routing. NY has behaved the same way for the past few days--[snip]

The New York server has been a disaster of late. (Today 13% of our incoming calls on the New York server dropped - a serious issue.) Chicago is not far behind. Tampa, where we've moved a lot of our Voip.ms traffic, is beginning to show signs of trouble as well. We moved whatever we had on Montreal to other servers months ago.

I fear all is not well in Voip.ms land. I have a lot invested with Voip.ms and they are currently letting me (and a lot of us) down. Spending every day playing "musical servers" is not how I want to live my life, and as a reseller with a reputation to maintain, my hair has turned several shades grayer over the last couple of months as my customers complain.

I still believe this is all just growing pains (perhaps their servers are reaching capacity) - and I am hoping they are on it and making the necessary adjustments, modifications and /or repairs ... but I also hope that I am not hoping beyond hope.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to Calafax

said by Calafax:

I'm in the U.S. and have always used the NY server and premium routing. NY has behaved the same way for the past few days--silence on my end when calling, or a delay before ringing. One call today seemed to time out and die with zero duration for the call listed in the CDR entry. I then made the call, without trouble, on our POTS line.

I have given switched to another provider for outgoing call and I am much happier. I still use voip.ms for incoming. After switching to the Houston server last month, I have had zero problems with incoming since (Thanks PX for sharing the 'lucky' server).

said by lilarry:

Spending every day playing "musical servers" is not how I want to live my life...

^^^This!

I am just a low volume home user, but it is really annoying to have to keep changing servers in hopes of finding the most reliable one.

On a side note: I am disappointed that voip.ms decided to shelf their plans of making 'Super POPs' with SRV DNS records.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by crazyk4952:

(Thanks PX for sharing the 'lucky' server).

Glad that things have worked out.

Dallas seems to be very stable too, the server that is.

------------------------------

The way I see it:

CallCentric fought their way past a bad situation and now will be a stronger company than ever.

Voip.MS, the [same] is going to apply.

Just as tennis player Maria Sharapova had to work on her serve, the same applies to Voip.MS. Sharapova overcame the serve issues and so will they. Just a little more time to install and de-glitch the new equipment.

lilarry
Premium
join:2010-04-06

said by PX Eliezer7:

Just a little more time to install and de-glitch the new equipment.

Thus my "hope"

ThaiGuy

join:2008-05-10
Thailand
reply to Jonathan987

Ahhhh.... technical problems eh? That might explain why I have been unable to make calls to Australia even though they are allowed in my list of international countries. Tried several different servers but no go..... 486 busy to any Aussie number I dial.

imekul

join:2008-11-21
Belleville, IL
reply to Jonathan987

I just noticed today that all incoming calls to my voip.ms DIDs were getting either a slow or fast busy signal.

Outgoing calls seem to work fine, as far as I can tell.

I was initially registered with chicago.voip.ms, but switched to tampa.voip.ms to see if that changed anything. So far, no difference.

I'm starting a live chat with support to try to get this ironed out ASAP, as all incoming calls fail. Even call-forwarding doesn't work right now!

Jonathan987

join:2006-03-17
North York, ON

said by imekul:

I just noticed today that all incoming calls to my voip.ms DIDs were getting either a slow or fast busy signal.

yeah this was happening to a few family members that I have signed up with voip.ms and now I am hearing about it too. Support asks me if it's currently happening; the sad part about this is that you can't reproduce the original problem with any precision because I don't control the current load on their servers :-/ Same goes for the problems I originally started the thread for.

The lesson to be learned here is that you don't want to become a victim of your own success (growth problems). The way that this is properly handled is by implementing a 'stop-sell' on service to new customers while old servers are upgraded so that they can handle and inflow of new traffic.
Teksavvy has been doing this for quite some time with their cable POIs and it has been in everyone's best interest.

Looking forward to these new upgrades; I chatted with voip.ms support but unfortunately upper management and front-line support don't seem to have frequent contact regarding critical situations like this. Support couldn't impart any information as to when I can expect less complaining/questions from my relatives.

VOIP Fan

@concordia.ca
reply to Jonathan987

Hello,
I have the same not ringing problem combined with registration issues on Montreal2 server,
Moved to Montreal1, registration is better but dialing the DID is intermitent, dead air. I did some live chat sessions, trying to find the problem, after going thru settings, ports and NAT potential issues, they have sent a SIP invite to see if my ATA was responding, ATA was apparently not responding. I was decided to try other UDP port tonight (as during the day am at work), when it just hit me, I will eliminate the box from the equation, by forwarding my DID to my other number (on the same ATA box, just another VOIP provider- won't tell .
I have put the routing for my DID to the other number (SAME ATA) and surprise!!! Still no ring (dead air)
That means the ATA box settings, ports and the rest (DSL modem, router) were not the problem. I have switched the POP of my DID to another server and voila, the DID rings again! Aha, this is the issue, the server, so before change anything you can try the same, forward DID to another number and see, if still not rings the DID, try another server. Do not loose time to mess with the settings for something that was previously working, as it was a waste of my time.

Regards

hockeynomad

join:2007-06-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to sowhatski

said by sowhatski :

I live in Eastern Canada and when I began using voip.ms, I tried the Toronto and Montreal servers and had problems with them.

I tried a few others and finally settled on the Houston server, and that has been problem-free.

Don't think you have to stay with the Canadian servers because they are relatively close; try others - they have 10 or 11; I do not notice any lag because the ping times are somewhat longer; they are still pretty short.

I've been a lot better since moving to Houston, at least the server, though it hasn't been flawless, but then its VOIP, probably will never be 100% like POTS, but its is cheaper.

horacebork
Premium
join:2011-03-17
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Time Warner Cable
reply to PX Eliezer7

px,

thanks for blazing the trail.
question: what is the difference between the server on the 'did' at voip.ms and the server on the 'sip' device at home?

should they be matched?
--
".. the sofa has just vanished." ".. well, that's one mystery less."