how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MarkC23

join:2013-01-15
Ellicott City, MD

[Northeast] Fios-8x8

What in the world is Fios goofing with my 8x8 phone? Does anyone have clue what in the world they are doing with their ports?

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
FIOS does nothing to the ports in any manor. Possibly you could explain with details what your issue is and we could offer suggestion to possibly resolve you VOIP issue

MarkC23

Ellicott City, MD
I called my insiders today and there is issues with 8x8 up and down the east coast. Verizon just did a conversion SIP/ Digital Voice and knocked out users of VOIP. I use this phone for my company , its an issue that no one can fix?

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MarkC23
While I could be wrong, AFAIK, DV is on a different wavelength than your Internet service. Any changes the make to that system shouldn't have any effect at all on your IP Phone. I have DV and I also have a VPN-enabled IP phone here in my home office. (My official workplace) No issues at all.

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL

1 edit
reply to MarkC23
Sounds more like 8x8 is have system issues, not uncommon for VOIP indie provider, and they always blame the network when something goes wrong.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to buckingham
said by buckingham:

AFAIK, DV is on a different wavelength than your Internet service.

Nope. They share the same wavelengths.
• 1310 nm voice/data transmit
• 1490 nm voice/data receive
• 1550 nm video receive
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

ilikeme
I live in a van down by the river.
Premium
join:2002-08-27
Sugar Land, TX
kudos:1
reply to MarkC23
What FIOS does to their DV service will not effect your VOIP. I have Vonage and it is working fine.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by buckingham:

AFAIK, DV is on a different wavelength than your Internet service.

Nope. They share the same wavelengths.
• 1310 nm voice/data transmit
• 1490 nm voice/data receive
• 1550 nm video receive

Yea...my bad. Thanks for that. I really meant to say that it's a different "network", as it were...

MarkC23

Ellicott City, MD
reply to MarkC23
There is/ was some update or firmware update on system now I need to deal with action tech to open ports. This is a problem with the east coast

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
Port forwarding is YOUR responsibility, not anyone else. 8X8 should have the information on which ports need to be forwarded to the ATA device. This is VOIP 101

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

1 edit
reply to buckingham
The way it was explained in the past was your ONT uses your regular bandwidth for DV and sends this to the FiOS gateway in your CO via regular VoIP which then picks up the VoIP transmissions from your ONT and dumps them off on your COs POTS switch. How that's different from how your ONT handles the standard POTS freedom essentials is beyond me, maybe they hand off to different POTS switches for the different services?

DV is also superior to vonage and other voip services in that you don't have to go across the internet for your voip service, it unloads on the first hop at your gateway, which can be beneficial if you fax or still use a modem for anything.

Using someone like Vonage for fax or modem is like a crap shoot if it'll work or not.

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MarkC23
said by MarkC23:

There is/ was some update or firmware update on system now I need to deal with action tech to open ports. This is a problem with the east coast

There are some updates to the Actiontec routers that do a complete reset back to "factory"...drives me nuts because I lose all the parental control settings I have in there for "time of day" restrictions for our kids' devices. Perhaps any custom settings you had to enable your 8x8 endpoint(s) were blown away in similar fashion...

guppy_fish
Premium
Lakeland, FL
^^^ +1 ^^^^

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Yeah those factory resets are so freakin annoying...

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to McBane
said by McBane:

The way it was explained in the past was your ONT uses your regular bandwidth for DV and sends this to the FiOS gateway in your CO via regular VoIP which then picks up the VoIP transmissions from your ONT and dumps them off on your COs POTS switch. How that's different from how your ONT handles the standard POTS freedom essentials is beyond me, maybe they hand off to different POTS switches for the different services?

DV is also superior to vonage and other voip services in that you don't have to go across the internet for your voip service, it unloads on the first hop at your gateway, which can be beneficial if you fax or still use a modem for anything.

From what I understand what you describe is Freedom Essentials.. They just change the medium of how it gets between the CO and your house. With Digital Voice the SIP traffic is routed to a main datacenter where they use softswitches and media gateways instead of the older TDM telco CO switches.

In the end they're essentially the same, just different as how its processed.

bhan261

join:2001-02-12
New York, NY
reply to McBane
Yeah, well...I've never been able to get my wife's fax machine to work properly on DV. I've spoken to FiOS, I've spoken to HP (manufacturer of the unit), I've sought assistance on multiple discussion groups. Nothing. It still won't properly receive incoming faxes.

Mopsmom1

@verizon.net
Our Columbia MD office has 8x8 VOIP and Verizon FIOS. We have 4 more offices around the country who don't use FIOS. Our Maryland office has had extreme service disruption for the last 10 days. On 4 of 5 calls there will be no audio on our end on inbound or outbound calls; the other person can hear us. Randomly it works again.

None of our other offices are experiencing this problem. Therefore it is not 8x8.

We have had 8x8 & Fios for almost 2 years and this is the first time we have had a serious issue.

I can upgrade the ActionTec firmware and reset to factory defaults, but if anyone has any proven solution or knows that Verizon is working on this, it would be appreciated.

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to buckweet1980
said by buckweet1980:

From what I understand what you describe is Freedom Essentials.. They just change the medium of how it gets between the CO and your house. With Digital Voice the SIP traffic is routed to a main datacenter where they use softswitches and media gateways instead of the older TDM telco CO switches.

In the end they're essentially the same, just different as how its processed.

The bottom line is that once your call is routed through the gateway and past the first class 5 switch, FE and DV calls are handled the same way. DV is simply VZ's method or loophole to avoid regulation by your state's public utility commission.

nyrrule27

join:2007-12-06
Howell, NJ
reply to MarkC23
if you dont have tv servcie just get rid of the vz router and use your own. wouldnt have to worry about the router firmware being automatically upgraded and any settings be wiped out

realvoip

@verizon.net
reply to MarkC23
said by MarkC23:

I called my insiders today and there is issues with 8x8 up and down the east coast. Verizon just did a conversion SIP/ Digital Voice and knocked out users of VOIP. I use this phone for my company , its an issue that no one can fix?

my "insider" told me 8x8 sucks and you should get a more reliable service esp if ur business depends on in.

alvin222

@verizon.net
reply to MarkC23
8x8 voip is one step above string and 2 cans

eightbyten

@verizon.net
reply to MarkC23
u have fios at your business location and u choose to take 8x8 over fios digital voice? what kind of SLA does 8x8 offer you. why try to save a couple of dollars and use a unheard of voip service? i hope for your business sake it is working again.

MarkC23

Ellicott City, MD
reply to MarkC23
First to the fax question-
Verizon will not fix the baud rate on out going faxes. I have a corp fax machine for out going faxes.

Second - to the VOIP one on one comment
You have no clue, zero clue what you are taking about! Verizon
has sip vs dig voice for fios users. I have div voice in my home office. I have 8x8 that I take with me to my other office. I am adding two lines to system. I have spent 8 plus hours on the phone with 8x8 plus Verizon. I run a business and have no time to fix others issues.

Last week Verizon knocked out the routing for all users for east coast because of ? no one knows

andrew z

@verizon.net
I work in elkridge which is next to ellicott city. I started having issues the same day with 8x8. they keep blaming fios too. I just had a dropped outgoing call. I've spent hours trying to get this fixed with 8x8's tech support. they had me change some settings in the actiontech router, and then go back to blaming it on verizon. does anyone know whats going on. Everyone else in my office building (office suites) has voip with other carriers and no one else is having issues so it has to be with 8x8.....

nyrrule27

Howell, NJ
call in to report this. vz knows about issue fios data and voip.

Mopsmom1

@verizon.net
reply to andrew z
Yep, it's happening again. Our 8x8 service was back up and running for 10 days and today only 25% of our calls connect. Actually, they connect without audio on our end.

8x8 is again pointing to our Actiontec router. Why would this suddenly be a problem? Nothing changed our end...so who changed something?

mopsmom1

@verizon.net
reply to andrew z
Mark & Andrew,
Our offices are next to the restaurant park in Columbia, basically at the interection of Columbia, Elkridge, & Ellicott City. It sounds to me like this problem is rather localized.

Had a similar problem at home when Comcast put too many users on one trunk and band-width dropped. That's when we switched to Verizon Fios at home.

I wonder if they have messed with the infrastructure locally, thus reducing our band-width.

Any ideas as to how to combat this? Should we join forces? You can contact me at 443-755-0790...if you can get through :/

nyrrule27

Howell, NJ
just call tech support. they have a process in place for these issues

Onedollar

join:2001-08-27
Pomona, CA
kudos:6
reply to Mopsmom1
Vz is aware of the issue you are describing. You will need to do leg work with your voip provider and get some tracert logs and then escalate to verizon tier 2

PaulBeiler1

join:2013-01-29
Phoenix, AZ
reply to mopsmom1
Have read these posts on the Verizon FIOS 8x8 issue. I'm having similar issues with two of my 4 folks in the Phila area that have Verizon FIOS. These two folks recently signed up with FIOS. I'll be watching these comments to see if any recommendations (static ip, hardware changes, etc) come out of this.