uniqs
share rss forum feed

zed260
Premium
join:2011-11-11
Cleveland, TN

charter bussnuss is now offering 30 meg for 55 usd

no caps

i called in earlier today and got swtiched from 20 meg bussnuss to 30 meg and lowered bill $8.99

Razoul

join:2012-10-09
Crestline, CA
It may be a local thing. I'm still seeing 30 meg business for $65/mo for my area.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by Razoul:

It may be a local thing. I'm still seeing 30 meg business for $65/mo for my area.

65 unbundled but if you got phone and or tv with them it goes down to 55

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
Internet goes down $10 but then TOTAL bill goes up by how much, especially if you didn't have or want tv or phone?

Heck of a deal!! Spend money to save money!

Sounds like my wife's logic on grocery shopping. She gets 16 packages of paper towels at once because they were on sale and spends $x.00 when a couple/few packages would've sufficed and it's NOT like paper towels aren't "on sale" every other week! I always tell her that if you hadn't spent $x.00 on 16 packages this time, you could've saved half that now and got more on the next sale!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by cork1958:

Internet goes down $10 but then TOTAL bill goes up by how much, especially if you didn't have or want tv or phone?

Heck of a deal!! Spend money to save money!

Sounds like my wife's logic on grocery shopping. She gets 16 packages of paper towels at once because they were on sale and spends $x.00 when a couple/few packages would've sufficed and it's NOT like paper towels aren't "on sale" every other week! I always tell her that if you hadn't spent $x.00 on 16 packages this time, you could've saved half that now and got more on the next sale!

well in some cases you have to have a landline phone cell service in my area is useless id hate to have to use my cell phone to go and call 911 or something

jchl89

join:2004-03-04
Rosemead, CA
reply to zed260
does Charter Business come in on a different line as the residentials, or even if so, do i have more priority? My Residential service is performing poorly during nighttime, and i've tried to get them to increase node capacity to no avail. I'm thinking of switching over to Business tier.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by jchl89:

does Charter Business come in on a different line as the residentials, or even if so, do i have more priority? My Residential service is performing poorly during nighttime, and i've tried to get them to increase node capacity to no avail. I'm thinking of switching over to Business tier.

bissnuss tier is givin higher priorty even on same node

if/when a node is congested they will throtle resdential users over business users also your more likely to get them to split node etc if your business

nocannothave

join:2006-10-14
Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to zed260
I made my bi-monthly call to Charter Business sales to ask about current pricing. Lo and behold, the 20mb/2mb circuit (the one I'm on) is no longer offered. It's now 30/4 for $65, 50/5 for $115, and the fastest one which was well beyond what I want to spend right now.

So in a few days, I'll have 50% faster download and 33% faster upload for $15 (19%) less per month. Can't wait!

Side note: the coax sales person mentioned fiber, so she transferred me there. It starts at around $600 a month, and is currently slower than coax. Weird.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by nocannothave:

I made my bi-monthly call to Charter Business sales to ask about current pricing. Lo and behold, the 20mb/2mb circuit (the one I'm on) is no longer offered. It's now 30/4 for $65, 50/5 for $115, and the fastest one which was well beyond what I want to spend right now.

So in a few days, I'll have 50% faster download and 33% faster upload for $15 (19%) less per month. Can't wait!

Side note: the coax sales person mentioned fiber, so she transferred me there. It starts at around $600 a month, and is currently slower than coax. Weird.

i got mine updated in like 5 minutes im assuming your not on a docsis 3 modom

as a side not is was originally 20/3 now the tiear is 30/4

nocannothave

Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
said by zed260:

said by nocannothave:

DOCSIS 3 over here. Yeah, I never saw downloads under 30mb and uploads were always over 3mb.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by nocannothave:

said by zed260:

said by nocannothave:

DOCSIS 3 over here. Yeah, I never saw downloads under 30mb and uploads were always over 3mb.

if your a docsis 3 modom just call back they can switch you in under 10 minutes if you get in touch with right person

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to jchl89
Also, from what a Charter rep told me once, there is less filtering on a business account. I am not sure if they still do but at one time Charter rejected emails from yahoo accounts. I was told to get a business account and that they did not filter any email from any provider. With the lower price no caps and less filtering I would consider this... Thanks for the heads up!

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
go with a third party email account like gmail

nocannothave

Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to zed260

Done.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
said by nocannothave:

[att=1]

Done.

nice how do you like the new speed

nocannothave

Kennewick, WA
Reviews:
·Charter
said by zed260:

said by nocannothave:

[att=1]

Done.

nice how do you like the new speed

Upload is actually closer to 5mb. Download is about 35mb. I mostly did this for the $15 per month savings. When I switched to business from residential, I lost over 50% of my speed to keep the same price. Now I'm closer to what it was.

jp16

join:2010-05-04
united state
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to zed260
said by zed260:

go with a third party email account like gmail

I do now.... The issue was a about 5 or 6 years ago. They may have fixed it now but I use gmail so I wouldn't know for sure.

BoMarty

join:2001-02-01
Ballwin, MO
reply to zed260
Business 30 meg for $55 has been running on TV ads for about 2 weeks here in St louis. What I dont know is if that price is "bundled"?

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
Reviews:
·Charter
said by BoMarty:

Business 30 meg for $55 has been running on TV ads for about 2 weeks here in St louis. What I dont know is if that price is "bundled"?

yes thats the bundled price 64.99 unbundled

cork1958
Cork
Premium
I call that bungling, not bundled. Sucks that some company basically forces you to spend more to save a little. Yes, I know most all of them do this. Makes no sense to me. To many other alternatives to be forced to use their phone or tv.

No,
Charter DOES NOT block Yahoo mail and NEVER has blocked mine! To suggest using Gmail is almost worse than suggesting getting a bungled deal, IMO. Gmail totally sucks if you ever want to send any kind of attachment other than a pic, for the most part.

To each his own though
--
The Firefox alternative.

zed260
Premium
Cleveland, TN
@cork i was replying to someone else they said charter filtered email which they probably do if you have a charter.net email

as for blocking yahoo or gmail or anything like that i doubt they ever will that would be lawsuit written all over it

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
reply to zed260
i'm on the 30/4 residential plan for $29.99 bundled with phone.
I never come close to using 250GB. Why would I want to pay $55 for almost the same package?

anon anon

@charter.com
said by compuguybna:

Why would I want to pay $55 for almost the same package?

For people that do use a lot of data then it's a good deal. Even the normal $65 price is better than paying $110 for 100 Meg for it's 500 GB cap.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to zed260
said by zed260:

@cork i was replying to someone else they said charter filtered email which they probably do if you have a charter.net email

as for blocking yahoo or gmail or anything like that i doubt they ever will that would be lawsuit written all over it

Yes,
I know you were replying to some one else and I was just stating that Charter has never blocked any mail of mine, whether sending or receiving for my charter.net e-mail, which I have always had, although only used for more "official" mailings.
--
The Firefox alternative.

imsystem

join:2004-04-02
Red Bluff, CA
reply to anon anon
Im glad i live in a small town. I pay 81.99 for my 100/5 Its not bundled with any other services. Last month i used 918 GB the month before 780 GB so far for this month im at 477 GB I have never been talked to about going over cap. I am assuming that there is not enough customers in my area for them and that don't monitor caps yet.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
Man, I know it's winter, but you're in California for cripe sake!

Go outside!!

I doubt if I use 918GB in a year!!

P.S.
I wouldn't brag about that to loud here!
--
The Firefox alternative.

imsystem

join:2004-04-02
Red Bluff, CA
I have kids that watch netflix non stop on 2 different tvs. before i got netflix i was only using about 200gigs. If and when charter decides to regulate the cap on me i will regulate netflix usage.

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1
reply to cork1958
Lets do some math here:

Netflix quotes 5Mbps for their "HD" Stream (maybe close ot 720P), so for 1 hr of netflix a day, that's 2.25GB. (5mb/s /8= 0.625MB/s * 3600 (3600 seconds in an hour)= 2250 MB).

Now, Nielsen reports that the average person watches 5hrs of video a day(11.25GB/Day). I find that a bit high, so I'll settle on 3.5hrs. (7.875GB/Day).

If we extrapolate that out to a 30 day month:
(Nielsen)11.25GB*30 = 337.5GB
(My proposed average)7.875GB*30=236GB

Now that's per person. Multiply it by the number of family members in your home (or by a percentage; say 160% to be realistic for a 3 person home), and you're at 377-540GB per month, JUST FOR STREAMING VIDEO.
If you're surfing the web, and downloading updates/games/media, it will be considerably higher.

If the cable companies are going to promote a wired world, they need to set reasonable caps that echo your standard user's web habits.

anon anon

@charter.com
said by cablegeek01:

Lets do some math here:

Netflix quotes 5Mbps for their "HD" Stream (maybe close ot 720P), so for 1 hr of netflix a day, that's 2.25GB. (5mb/s /8= 0.625MB/s * 3600 (3600 seconds in an hour)= 2250 MB).

Now, Nielsen reports that the average person watches 5hrs of video a day(11.25GB/Day). I find that a bit high, so I'll settle on 3.5hrs. (7.875GB/Day).

If we extrapolate that out to a 30 day month:
(Nielsen)11.25GB*30 = 337.5GB
(My proposed average)7.875GB*30=236GB

Now that's per person. Multiply it by the number of family members in your home (or by a percentage; say 160% to be realistic for a 3 person home), and you're at 377-540GB per month, JUST FOR STREAMING VIDEO.
If you're surfing the web, and downloading updates/games/media, it will be considerably higher.

If the cable companies are going to promote a wired world, they need to set reasonable caps that echo your standard user's web habits.

You assume everyone will be doing their TV watching via Netflix streaming 100%. A lot of viewing is network TV which most people can get for FREE via OTA. So that right there can easily cut the streaming viewing in half. Not to mention things like Hulu Plus have lower bitrates. For example I catch up on South Park at SouthParkStudios.com website. Their streams are 1200 Mbps( the older ones are even less ) which is fine for that type of show.

I'm not saying caps can't be higher I'm saying most people are not watching as much streaming videos as you say.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
reply to cablegeek01
"Now that's per person. Multiply it by the number of family members in your home (or by a percentage; say 160% to be realistic for a 3 person home), and you're at 377-540GB per month, JUST FOR STREAMING VIDEO.
If you're surfing the web, and downloading updates/games/media, it will be considerably higher."

I still say some one needs to go outside, especially if it's kids setting around wasting their lives watching Netflix already!

Personally,
Playing games or watching video on a computer is not only a total waste of a computer but of one's life!!

Sheesh! No wonder America has become such a dead beat, lazy, over weight country!

Not trying to start anything here, just my opinion. Feel free to waste away time you will never get back. I learned from when I had cancer back in 1993 not to be wasting my life as much as I used to.
--
The Firefox alternative.