spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wapcaplet

join:2005-03-31
Pasadena, CA

[ADSL2] Speedstream 4100 with Fusion service?

Just got the e-mail announcing Fusion availability. I'm definitely interested in upgrading from regular DSL, but I'm not sure if my current modem supports it. I'm using an old Speedstream 4100, and a few Google searches seem to indicate it supports ADSL2+.

I found a post on the Sonic message board that indicates it should work (»forums.sonic.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=285), but I wanted to double-check.

Has it been tested with DSL Extreme Fusion?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:27

1 edit
Hmmm. Can't say that I KNOW of any DSL Extreme Fusion circuits using that particular model... Edit: Ah-hah! Yes. Confirmed, that model should work, as long as it doesn't have any branded firmware locking it to another provider.

Of course, assuming you do sign up for service and use it, then I WILL be able to say that I know of a circuit which is using one successfully!

Wapcaplet

Pasadena, CA
reply to Wapcaplet
Thanks. I found another thread here on DSL Reports that describes how to determine what modes the modem supports (»Difference between 4100 and 5100), so I'll give that a try tonight.

If I order Fusion and it doesn't work with the 4100, I guess I can always use the DSL Extreme-provided modem. What modem is being shipped out for Fusion subscribers?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
It'll work. FYI though, our existing Comtrend and Dlink models are working just fine, and last I'd heard we're sending those.

Wapcaplet

Pasadena, CA
reply to dslx_nick
said by dslx_nick:

Edit: Ah-hah! Yes. Confirmed, that model should work, as long as it doesn't have any branded firmware locking it to another provider.

My Speedstream has SBC firmware, as I used to have SBC/Yahoo DSL before switching to DSL Extreme. I'm guessing that it should work with Fusion because it already works on DSL Extreme's network, right?

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. It's only on some of the newest models that we've seen them being a bit more... aggressive about locking down their modems. If you're able to use your modem with DSL Extreme DSL, it should work just fine with DSL Extreme Fusion.

Wapcaplet

Pasadena, CA
said by dslx_nick:

If you're able to use your modem with DSL Extreme DSL, it should work just fine with DSL Extreme Fusion.

So I just went through the first steps to order Fusion and came across this warning when I select "I will use my current modem":

Compatible Modems: Comtrend CT-5072T or D-Link DSL-2320B - View Picture
Yes, I have one of these modems. These are the only modems compatible with our Fusion service

So are we able to use any compatible ADSL2+ modem, or are we restricted to these two models?

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17
said by Wapcaplet:

So are we able to use any compatible ADSL2+ modem, or are we restricted to these two models?

Currently existing clients can use any compatible ADSL2+ modem and it aren't forced to take a modem lease from us if you do not already have one. You do need an ADSL2+ modem or your line would default to ADSL1 when it syncs and won't be able to obtain any higher than ADSL1 rates of course.
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Wapcaplet
said by Wapcaplet:

Just got the e-mail announcing Fusion availability. I'm definitely interested in upgrading from regular DSL, but I'm not sure if my current modem supports it. I'm using an old Speedstream 4100, and a few Google searches seem to indicate it supports ADSL2+.

The older Siemens SpeedStream 4100 shipped by SBC only supports ADSL. I could only sync at 8192/896 on my line with that model. The newer SS4100B is supposed to work with ADSL2+.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Dan000

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Wapcaplet
The older SS4100(A) does support ADSL2+, but you MUST cross flash it w/ the latest generic 4200 firmware. It upgrades the "datapump" and makes it compatible. The CPU becomes the limiting factor, afterwards. You wont reach the so called max rates of the ADSL2+ spec. So also don't use it as a router after the crossflash, as the generic version has routing/firewall/etc or else it'll have sea-saw kind of throughput.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Dan000 :

The older SS4100(A) does support ADSL2+, but you MUST cross flash it w/ the latest generic 4200 firmware.

I tried looking for that firmware. I was never able to get it. At this time I have two ADSL2+ modems supplied by my current ISP, so I will just leave the SS4100 at its stock+1 firmware revision.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Dan000

@sbcglobal.net
Try shadow sentry .org, if memory is correct. They have the various generic and isp specific releases. But be careful, it can brick your modem if not careful. It only upgrades the adsl standard to be a bit more compatible, you'll find the hardware/chipset/cpu limitation annoying.

Personally I still like the 2Wire units more. They have a beefier cpu & better diagnostics. The SS4100 uses a bit less power though since it'll be on 24/7.