kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to garys_2k

Re: Another Reason to Not Use CFLs...

I think small CFL replacements for home lighting have been a bad idea from the start, more so when they were made less expensive by cutting corners. However, the last thread I was in, expressing concern about CFL's was a bit nasty. Those who have bought into CFL's, are going to defend their purchase regardless of any fact presented based on my experience in this board.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 edit

said by pandora:

I think small CFL replacements for home lighting have been a bad idea from the start, more so when they were made less expensive by cutting corners.

You think it's a bad idea.
Yet cutting corners is something that's being done with LED as well. What's the best alternative? Incandescent?

said by pandora:

However, the last thread I was in, expressing concern about CFL's was a bit nasty. Those who have bought into CFL's, are going to defend their purchase regardless of any fact presented based on my experience in this board.

These days, there's no such thing as "investing" in CFLs. They're 2$-3$ a bulb. What we/they are defending is our choice not to go spend 15$-30$/bulb for LED.

Other studies confirm that yes, UV from fluorescent is bad, but the safe distance is way shorter than real life distances.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluorescen···ion_risk

quote:
The report states that most bare spiral lamps tested gave off more UV than the 60 watt incandescent lamp tested, but that the double-envelope CFLs emitted less UV. At 30 cm distance, the recommended maximum daily exposure was attained between 3 hours and 6 hours, with little difference between the studied 60 Watt incandescent lamp and any bare-spiral CFL. The report states that the Threshold limit values used represent otherwise healthy individuals who are not experiencing any hypersensitivity conditions or exposed to substances that increase UV sensitivity. Outdoor sunlight can supply the maximum recommended daily UV exposure in 20 to 100 minutes.
said by Hyrules:

It's kinda strange that your LED gets hot because i have both Light buld led and GU10 led and the are warm but not hot.

It depends on the heat sink on the bulb. Some are bad, some are good. Either way, LED ballasts head up (hence the need for heat sinks).

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by alkizmo:

You think it's a bad idea.

Yes I am guilty of posting my opinion now and then here and there on this forum. Worse, it may be different from yours. Guess that means insults should fly in my direction for not thinking the way you do.
--
"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand." - Milton Friedman"

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by pandora:

Yes I am guilty of posting my opinion now and then here and there on this forum. Worse, it may be different from yours. Guess that means insults should fly in my direction for not thinking the way you do.

Did I insult you?

pandora
Premium
Outland

said by alkizmo:

Did I insult you?

Of course.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by pandora:

said by alkizmo:

Did I insult you?

Of course.

I fail to see how.
Disagreeing with you isn't an insult.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by alkizmo:

I fail to see how.
Disagreeing with you isn't an insult.

You didn't just disagree, you added insult.
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by pandora:

You didn't just disagree, you added insult.

Quote the insult