uniqs
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88

Re: [IL] Latency issues.

said by Anonymous88:

What if they agree with me and tell you they can't find any issues? How do you make them 'fix' something that's not broken?

Thats because your NOC is full of people who shouldn't have that job. If there is a network issue they should find it. I had comcast they have 30 mil subs and mediacom has what? In the area I was in we never had a outage. I've had mediacraps service for almost 2 years and we have had 8 outages in the last 9 months. Thats a good track record.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

2 edits

k9iua6

Latency obviously affects some applications more than others. I personally am more worried about lost packets than I am about latency, although I also don't use the applications most affected by higher latency values (such as VoIP, gaming, or maybe video, all of which are also higher bandwidth applications and more time dependent). To say there is an absolute value of latency below which you must have is also a misnomer, especially with web browsing, which is what Anonymous was pointing out. It is all application driven.

Latency is also something that will constantly fluctuate across a range of values, depending on time of day and network conditions. It also makes a huge difference whether you are hitting sites that are dispersed across the network (such as CDN) or a centrally located (and potentially overworked) server. [There is a classic example from the differences of measuring latency to yahoo.com versus www.yahoo.com, where the latter will resolve to closer CDN with lower latency, whereas the former will not, with latency being very high.]

ADDED: I got the Yahoo examples reversed. yahoo.com will be the quicker ping, with www.yahoo.com being a very long ping. At least when I just now tested it. I also just found similar between google.com and www.google.com.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to GLIMMER

Premium Member

to GLIMMER
You guys can't 'make' someone fix something if that person/company believes there are no issues. His speed was too low for 50/5 tier I agree with that. FYI that speed is advertised as up to 50/5 in case you missed that part and I personally consider anything above 35 Mbit not an issue (this is hardwired to the modem/gateway). His latency while not the best was not 'bad'. Just because you get accustomed to really low latency and now it changed it does not mean there is an issue. I am also a gamer and I know I have no problems with latency below 150ms at all.

Mediacom is a much smaller company with not enough redundancy and scattered plant. Depending on the area you may see more outages than some other areas.

bulletsam
join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL

1 edit

bulletsam

When I can see my car, tank, solider, move forward and then lurch back to the start point constantly, yes, it is a problem.

I had a tech here Tuesday witness the lag/latency and timeouts I'm having. He acknowledged they do have a issue.

That's from tonight. Look good to you?

GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to Anonymous88

to Anonymous88
said by Anonymous88:

You guys can't 'make' someone fix something if that person/company believes there are no issues. His speed was too low for 50/5 tier I agree with that. FYI that speed is advertised as up to 50/5 in case you missed that part and I personally consider anything above 35 Mbit not an issue (this is hardwired to the modem/gateway). His latency while not the best was not 'bad'. Just because you get accustomed to really low latency and now it changed it does not mean there is an issue. I am also a gamer and I know I have no problems with latency below 150ms at all.

Mediacom is a much smaller company with not enough redundancy and scattered plant. Depending on the area you may see more outages than some other areas.

i dont care if mediacom is a small company if your a service provider then spend money on upgrades. and they could add redundancy there just to cheap to do it.