Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

w1spfanatic

join:2013-01-11
Screven, GA
reply to w1spfanatic

Re: WISP Startup

Thanks for the input guys! It is MUCH appreciated!

I've done issued my farewell to my wife, but my son will be the problem lol. He'll understand as time goes.

As far as using the existing 900Mhz , that will be a challenge. It is currently property of the Feds. I've been trying to contact the person in charge of it to find out information on how to obtain the rights to strike that back up, but the safe goat would be lighting up my own 2.4 network.

And I have been looking at Mikrotik routerboards all morning and have picked a few good models.

This being my first choice.
RB2011L-INN »store.wisp-router.com/RB2011L-IN

As far as the web site & email server deal. I am new to that aspect of the game. I purchased the domain through GoDaddy and I'm deciding on a host and someone to assist me with all that.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

said by w1spfanatic:

I've done issued my farewell to my wife, but my son will be the problem lol. He'll understand as time goes.

Use wife for back office tech support and answering the phone.

Teach son how to use drill holes for cable entrance. Bring him t-shirts from out of town industry and tech shows.

A family that WISPs together...Stays together.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to w1spfanatic

Im going to throw a suggestion in here regarding email and web hosting, so I dont really know what to expect, but ...

Ive been thinking some times I would like to start my own WISP, and if I did, what would I do to reduce administrative burden and cost?

The first thing I thought about was email. Email can be paiiinful, especially when you start receiving lots of spam, dealing with blacklists etc.

So my suggestion is: dont offer email to your customers unless they absolutely must have an email address on your domain, and if they do, charge for it.

The reasoning behind this idea is quite simple: with the likes of gmail, yahoo, hotmail, and the many others, why burden yourself trying to run your own email service? If customers want an email address, recommend they choose one of the freely available ones on the Internet - and thats if they dont have one already!

If the customer reeeaallly wants an email address on your domain, Ive often thought that I would set up a Google Apps account for my WISP to handle my own email, and you could simply sell them a gmail account through your GApps account at cost (I think they are about $50/year), but I'd need to check that is allowable in the T&C.

In the past many ISPs gave free email addresses simply as an official place to send electronic account correspondence and the fact you couldnt actually get free email accounts like you can now. I suppose theres also a little bit of advertising value. But IMO looking after your own email service is a cost and burden you could do without (me anyway, I would have more interesting things to be doing than running my mail server...)

I used to run an email server at home for my own personal use. I was always scared there would be a power outage that would blast away the disk, or the disk would just fail and I'd lose all my email. For personal use I now use GApps, which has amazing spam filtering (I used to also hate having to maintain the spam filtering software on my server), everything is backed up, and I dont have to worry about getting black listed.

Web hosting, well, you could host with GoDaddy (though I personally left them due to their support for SOPA), or find any other reputable host out there. Alternatively, rent a dedicated server or virtual server and run the website on there. The less things youve got to worry about, the more time youve got to concentrate on getting your WISP up and running.

</long spammy post>

The last suggestion I will make, please pretty please make sure everything you do is IPv6 ready or capable.

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by TomS_:

So my suggestion is: dont offer email to your customers unless they absolutely must have an email address on your domain, and if they do, charge for it.

I'll second this. The only reason I run an email server is because I started doing web hosting BEFORE starting my WISP, so I essentially had free web hosting and email for my new business venture. But supporting email can quickly become more of a burden than it is worth. I can't tell you how many "how do I set up my email address on my new windows 8/android, IOS, blah blah blah device I got for christmas" calls I've gotten in the last few weeks. And dealing with constant spam isn't worth it.

I'm not against offering email accounts to customers because it can be convenient for those who are technically challenged (plus it helps keep a customer if they don't want to go through the pain of switching email accounts, but I don't really want THAT to be the reason they choose to be my customer). If you choose a good web hosting (I wouldn't consider godaddy.com to be very good) and they offer good spam filtering and a nice webmail platform, email can be a nice bonus, but as mentioned, free email accounts are really the standard today and out of about 250 accounts, I've only had maybe 50 sign up for addresses, and most of those were 3+ years ago. I rarely have someone choosing to sign up for an email account through my domain anymore, and that's fine with me.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

Yea +1 on the email service, Im with Jcremin, only reason I have it is because it existed before my WISP. And is a headache, but of course the cheapest way to do it is in house, same with web site.

After years of tuning we dont have problems with spam, unless a customers account gets compromised, but fairly easy rectified.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca