spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ommina

join:2006-08-28

SMC Bridgemode

The Cisco modem, apparently, has a trick to placing it into bridge mode. Is anybody aware if there is an equivalent trick for the SMC when Shaw is unable to do so?

It had been bridged since the original install (when the new plans were released) but 'mysteriously' reverted to gateway mode sometime late last week.

I contacted CS, and was told that to return it back to bridge mode would mean reapplying whatever internal-magic codes they use, which would have the side effect of placing me on the new pricing, effectively increasing the Internet bill by $20 a month. I passed on that opportunity.

While the CSR assures me it will be 'fixed going forward', I don't really hold out much hope in this regard. Given the number of threads on these very forums over the past number of months from people looking to use their own router, I don't really believe Shaw is going to come up with any clever solutions any time soon.

BB100 account.

Options? Suggestions? Thanks!

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

I haven't heard of bridge-mode requiring plan changes...

Maybe Shaw_Alex can help with this, add/remove modem from the provisioning system without touching the billing part. But removing the bridge billing code and readding it, shouldn't require a plan change...

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Ommina

join:2006-08-28

You would think not, wouldn't you?

However, apparently the code for the original plan "no longer exists", so is unable to be readded after the removal.

But, of course, the new billing code ($20.00 / month more) is available. I'm not impressed.

And it does, once again, raises the question of why "bridge mode" is part of "billing" in the first place.

kevinds

join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:2

Because putting it in the customer-interface would give us customers way too much control?

If Shaw_Alex can't help, my suggestion would be having your modem replaced, preferably with the Cisco one if they will let you, or another SMC.

There should be override an function when codes are no longer available to be added, I've had to find someone to do that on my account, in order to add back grandfathered codes that were removed, and couldn't be put back.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to Ommina

Yeah, all Shaw needs to do is reprovision the modem - that should get the bridge mode support back. It doesn't matter if the plan isn't available anymore - the modem should be able to be reprovisioned in case you need the modem replaced. The only way it won't is if you got switched to the plan that put you on a gateway modem.

If Shaw_Alex can't help you, give Shaw another call. Perhaps you'll get lucky and reach a CS who can fix it without trying to convince you to buy something more. Each CS agent doesn't handle cases like this consistently, so feel free to call back and try again. Don't mention any case number at all - just say the modem is acting funny with your router.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1
reply to Ommina

There could be some legacy code on your account that would cause some problems; but i'll do my best to work some magic

Send me a private message with either your account number or the serial number of your modem and we can check it out.

-Shaw_Alex