spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kc5grw

join:2013-01-15

[TWC] TWC Dallas Incapable of Fixing a Feeder Problem

I have been fighting with TWC for roughly 18 months trying to get them to resolve a water penetration problem in their feeder. The particular block I live on has above ground service so if everything isn't nice and tight I get signal losses. The last several premises techs that have been out to my house have determined that there are no problems on the premises so the feeder must be the problem even indicating that the tap that feeds my house is old and very noisy.

The line techs on the other hand are absolutely worthless. When they actually do get scheduled they only look for obvious, visible problems without actually paying any attention to the notes from the premises techs.

My biggest frustration with TWC is the ridiculous tech support. My problem only occurs during rain. I live in Dallas. It doesn't rain here often. I call tech support when it's raining once I see my power levels on the modem drop 15-25 dbmV. Of course they can't schedule anybody out until 2-3 days or more in the future. You guessed it, no rain, no problem. I cannot get them to get a tech out during the event. They've given me intermittent tickets (only good for 5 days by the way) which supposedly will get someone out in hours. Nope never works and usually I don't have another event until the ticket expires. It's absolutely ludicrous the run around I get on the phone. I have flat out refused to do any of their stupid phone troubleshooting anymore and just demand a supervisor from the outset. Still never helps because they can never get anybody out soon enough. You would think that after 18 months of this crap that they would have enough data to get someone out immediately to troubleshoot and fix the problem.

I never had a problem before I moved to this location. My previous house had underground service so didn't have the same issues. The last 18 months have pretty much wiped out whatever years of good service I had. I'm to the point that I'm going to give U-verse a shot a internet and voice. I dumped TWC TV a year ago because U-verse TV had a couple channels I couldn't get on TWC and the rain problems hit my HD channels hard. I will probably hang on to the internet for a while longer until I determine that U-verse will serve the purpose. Only problem I have is that U-verse cannot deliver the speeds available with TWC. I'm currently at 30 on TWC. The max I can currently get with U-verse is 18. We'll give it a shot anyway. Unfortunately Verizon isn't an option.

cousintim

join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

The on-premise tech can view your signal history, at least for the last 7 days and I think longer. He should be able to confirm your power drops.

I would ask them to start with replacing your tap.

kc5grw

If it were only that easy....

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to kc5grw

Sounds like more of a noise or grounding issue vs a feeder problem.

pg73696

join:2013-01-17
reply to kc5grw

I worked cable for 15yrs and was a line tech. if there is a water ingress problem anywere in the feeder it will manifest with power loss through the upper high band ch 36 to super and ultra band ch 70's. typically in aerial plant water incursion occurs in the housings of line equiment. since the hardware is assembled upside down the tap plates and splitter/coupler plates start swimming in water in the sealed housing. somewere on that distribution there is a housing missing a port cap or a cracked housing.
To answer your question, here is the bottom line-- contact the FCC file a complant and get a case number or a record of it. this is your ammunition and trump card.
contact cabl;e company," escalate phone contact to technical operations manager or supervisor" when you speak to them tell them this exactly verbatim.
You have files a complaint with the fcc, give them the refferal info, and tell them you would like an "F.C.C. PROOF OF PREFORMANCE TEST DONE AT YOUR TAP"
watch what happens then, that should get results. they have to provide proof to the fcc your complant was resolved.
the proof of preformance test is very in depth, it is the last word in terms of system preformance, and it will show ANY problems on that feeder , good luck

kc5grw

Thanks for the info pg73696. It hadn't dawned on me to file a complaint with the FCC. That's a good idea. I just filed the complaint. I actually had a TWC supervisor leave a message yesterday after I posted this in the Direct Support forum but all they want to do is their standard, setup a service call, waste more of my time, accomplish nothing. When I talk to the supervisor today I shall make the request for the performance test. We'll see where this goes from here. Thanks again for the info.