All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Talesavo
join:2011-01-07
London, ON

Talesavo

How hard is it to switch from Tek to Start?

45/4 is just too good to pass up.

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers

Anon

Ask the good peeps in the start.ca forum »Start.ca
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to Talesavo

to Talesavo
There's a straightforward web form on the start.ca site for this. Just click through to it and fill everything out. Need to call Teksavvy and get a cancellation date (at least two weeks into the future) beforehand though.

merc782
join:2012-11-19
Ottawa

merc782 to Talesavo

to Talesavo
the steps are outlined in this thread

»How does a transfer work
Tristan
join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON

Tristan to Talesavo

to Talesavo
I'm thinking of doing this too. I don't know too much about Start, so I'm going to have to do my research. The vastly better upstream speeds are very luring, and while the cap for the 45/4 is only 350GB, it is 50GB more than what I get now.

4Gbit up? Very interested.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

said by Tristan:

I'm thinking of doing this too. I don't know too much about Start, so I'm going to have to do my research. The vastly better upstream speeds are very luring, and while the cap for the 45/4 is only 350GB, it is 50GB more than what I get now.

Also Start does not count Upload amount. Only download is counted.

*correct me if I'm wrong!
Expand your moderator at work

Perma
join:2011-12-20

Perma to Talesavo

to Talesavo

Re: How hard is it to switch from Tek to Start?

Also considering switching within the next few weeks, I need the upload.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

the key thing is cancelling with TSI first and making sure they submit the cancel order with Rogers now instead of what they usually do which is submitting the cancel date on your last day of service.

without that, Start won't be able to place an order since they won't see the termination date from TSI.

yourwrong
@start.ca

yourwrong to Guru

Anon

to Guru
said by Guru:

said by Tristan:

Also Start does not count Upload amount. Only download is counted.

*correct me if I'm wrong!

you are wrong. not sure where you got that from.

JonF
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

JonF to Talesavo

Premium Member

to Talesavo
Hello Talesavo,

Is there a reason you want to leave Teksavvy other than the difference in speeds? Is there a problem we can help you with?
nitric
join:2012-01-29

nitric

said by JonF:

Hello Talesavo,

Is there a reason you want to leave Teksavvy other than the difference in speeds? Is there a problem we can help you with?

I think most of the users here are happy with Teksavvy. It just comes down to being able to get a better product for nearly the same price with no word on what's going on with Teksavvy regarding the upgrades. Most people feel that it will take until Teksavvy gets on the aggregated POI for them to receive the speeds the already aggregated TPIA are getting. Someone recently mentioned that Marc said it would take 'months' so in that case I think quite a few people are going to look over at that greener pasture and start to move.
Gered
join:2012-11-09
Toronto, ON

Gered

This is it exactly really. At least it was for me. I've been with Teksavvy for a couple years and have no complaints with the service at all really. Unlimited cap options are a really great bonus too.

Ultimately, switching Teksavvy -> Start is, for me anyway, *purely* about being able to get the new speeds *now* and not in "months" (if that "months" bit is even accurate ... I don't think anyone can say with 100% certainty!).
Tristan
join:2006-09-10
Nepean, ON

Tristan to nitric

to nitric
That's exactly it. There is gross uncertainty around getting these faster speeds from Teksavvy. We don't know if it'll be one month, Q1, the first half or the last half of the year, or 2014.

I am satisfied mostly with Teksavvy, 3 out of 5 stars. There is certainly room for improvement. The internet service has been stable for me, and they have poured in a lot of money and time to fight for our rights, and deliver reasonably priced internet with higher (or no) caps.

I have a responsibility to my family to make sure we get the best bang for our buck. It looks like Teksavvy has been nudged out of top position, for now.
Talesavo
join:2011-01-07
London, ON

Talesavo to Gered

to Gered
Ya, it doesn't look like Tek is getting speed upgrades anytime soon, so time to move on to greener pastures. How do I make sure that Tek puts in the order immediately instead of waiting until the day before?

apvm
join:2003-02-14
London, ON
Linksys WRT1900AC
SmartRG SR505N
Huawei HG612

apvm to Tristan

to Tristan
said by Tristan:

I have a responsibility to my family to make sure we get the best bang for our buck. It looks like Teksavvy has been nudged out of top position, for now.

Agreed, the internet service has been stable for me too but since the $5 increase recently, Teksavvy's price advantage is now gone and I am starting to look around to see if they are still the best bang for our buck.

Shikomu
join:2007-11-16
Ontario

Shikomu to Talesavo

to Talesavo
I just did it last week. It's very easy. Teksavvy still couldn't get Cable in Burlington and Start could. I was with Teksavvy for years on DSL without any Complaints. now I'm getting 30/2 and 250 gigs. Cost upfront is high. Modem plus $50 install but I needed the faster speeds.
Gered
join:2012-11-09
Toronto, ON

Gered

To add to what Shikomu said, if you're on Cable already with Teksavvy and you already have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem then you won't have any extra costs to switch (not even the $50 install fee).

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd to Talesavo

Anon

to Talesavo
How do you make sure Teksavvy has forwarded the cancellation? I would say call them at least 2-3 times within a week after your initial call to confirm it went through- just so that you don't hear different stories.
Get it confirmed on the forums.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc to Talesavo

Premium Member

to Talesavo
said by Talesavo:

Ya, it doesn't look like Tek is getting speed upgrades anytime soon, so time to move on to greener pastures. How do I make sure that Tek puts in the order immediately instead of waiting until the day before?

Hum, I dont think that's the case. The CRTC knows full well that this is important. My impression is that we will have a decision from them very soon. As soon as that decision is made I would assume that existing users would get speed parity right away and that for newer higher speeds it may take a bit longer for us to put new packages together and what not.

This decision will also deal with the CBB or UBB rates that were set more than a year ago.

To put it mildly, this is a huge decision that's coming out.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Tristan

to Tristan
said by Tristan:

what price
if i can do 1600 gb in a month with 5 megabit that is far cheaper
why do i care if its a 500000000/50 account with a 350 gb cap
nitric
join:2012-01-29

nitric to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

said by Talesavo:

Hum, I dont think that's the case. The CRTC knows full well that this is important. My impression is that we will have a decision from them very soon. As soon as that decision is made I would assume that existing users would get speed parity right away and that for newer higher speeds it may take a bit longer for us to put new packages together and what not.

This decision will also deal with the CBB or UBB rates that were set more than a year ago.

To put it mildly, this is a huge decision that's coming out.

The rumors are that the aggregated POIs will get the upgrades and the rest won't -- not sure how much truth there is to that.

Can you confirm that you said what the user below mentions?:

»Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out
I sent an IM to Marc today and he replied very quickly, he said that they are working on the situation with speed matching. He had said that they hope to have it resolved in the next few months.

I wouldn't say that's a definite answer but I was happy and impressed at the speed at which the CEO will respond to such a concern. WTG TSI.

I think the main word that makes myself and other users concerned is 'months'. :P
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
Few months.... Time to go? We've been waiting since like October or November last year.
HKPolice
join:2002-08-09
Scarborough, ON

HKPolice to Talesavo

to Talesavo
Ya I'm considering a switch too since TSI's youtube servers are constantly buffering @ peak hours and even a direct connection to youtube's california servers are slow.

Did anyone switch to Start yet, and do they throttle Bittorrent traffic since it's an Aggregated POI?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc to nitric

Premium Member

to nitric
said by nitric:

The rumors are that the aggregated POIs will get the upgrades and the rest won't -- not sure how much truth there is to that.

*snip*

I think the main word that makes myself and other users concerned is 'months'. :P

on the first. This is just it, a decision on this will come out at the same time as the CBB/UBB rates. Until then, we just dont know what will happen.

For the second, it is possible that it takes months which is why I mentioned it. I do believe however that a decision will be released very soon. As mentioned above, we have asked for higher speeds on the non-agg TPIA as well as agg-TPIA.

My guess is that the CRTC knows that this is very important. They also know that we are the most affected by this decision. I dont think the CRTC would have put out a decision that is clearly advantageous to some but not others if the next decision that levels the playing field wasn't around the corner...

For my part, I will do what I can to speed things up as much as possible.

At the end of the day, its important to realise that these things are outside of our control largely. Once we know what our costs are, we will reprice accordingly. Those who wish to switch, that's part of the bargain with TekSavvy, you're free to do what you will. In the same way that you'd be free to come back if you liked our rates better once we put ours out there. Obviously I would rather not to create extra work for nothing. TekSavvy is still committed to offering a great value in the same way that we always have. I fully expect that we would be very competitive in all cases.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

2 edits

elitefx

said by TSI Marc:

TekSavvy is still committed to offering a great value in the same way that we always have. I fully expect that we would be very competitive in all cases.

Any pricing less than Rogers Jan 24/2013 outrageous rate hikes and only 9 months after their last cash grab atrocity can only be of great benefit to TPIA present/future customers in general.

Personally, I think you guys are going to see a massive influx of customers in the coming months. Rogers has completely lost any value for the dollar period regarding their services.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by elitefx:

said by TSI Marc:

TekSavvy is still committed to offering a great value in the same way that we always have. I fully expect that we would be very competitive in all cases.

Any pricing less than Rogers Jan 24/2013 outrageous rate hikes and only 9 months after their last cash grab atrocity can only be of great benefit to TPIA present/future customers in general.

Personally, I think you guys are going to see a massive influx of customers in the coming months. Rogers has completely lost any value for the dollar period regarding their services.

Frankly, I for the life of me cannot figure out how Rogers thinks their service is so valuable. People usually raise prices to fund other services/projects within a company looking in to the future.

Rogers keep raising their prices every 6 months (last one was June 2012) and I cannot emphasize how silly their prices are getting now. Can anyone (you?) even try to come up with a decent reason? I doubt it lol It doesn't make sense.

On a side note to the thread - I've been in a huge debate with myself over this switch. Start.ca or TSI Cable. I've hesitated with TSI Cable over the last 2 years over the major issues. Now that things are getting better with TSI, start comes out with nice plans and good prices.

Touch decisions. I think, most around here don't want to switch due to the 1 on 1 ability with your ISP, but wallet and speed play a huge part.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Talesavo

Premium Member

to Talesavo
All it takes is two phone calls - one to Teksavvy to cancel, one to Start to subscribe.
That seems pretty simple to me - I think you should be able to handle that.
tjmone
join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

tjmone to Talesavo

to Talesavo
A little loyalty and patience is needed folks.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

Marc, there's other issues than just the new Rogers speeds. As mentioned above, the youtube issue is pretty serious and there's a dedicated thread going with no updates from TSI. It seems there's other network issues too like Twitch being really bad at peak on TSI compared to other providers here.