Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to EUS

Re: [Serious] QC Dying with dignity

As long as the Criminal Code section regarding aiding suicide (aka active euthanasia) is in place, it supersedes provincial law, including the administration of healthcare.

A province can't opt out of the Criminal code merely because it wants to, nor attempt to pass off doctors actively causing a patient's death as the "continuum of care". Using this logic, a terminally ill patient could ask to be shot as long as 2 doctors agree. Whatever the method used, the person is still dead by the wilful actions of another. That is illegal under the Criminal Code.

Humane does not mean legal in this context.
--
Logic requires one to deal with decisions that one's ego will not permit.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8

said by digitalfutur:

As long as the Criminal Code section regarding aiding suicide (aka active euthanasia) is in place, it supersedes provincial law, including the administration of healthcare.

That's probably true, though it may be for the courts to clarify. In any case, it wouldn't be an issue if the federal government changed the Criminal Code.

said by HiVolt:

I don't see why the feds are opposing this still...

I do. The explanation, however, belongs in CanPol, where this issue has also been discussed (in connection with the case out in BC).