spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ChipinCT
join:2013-01-16
West Suffield, CT

ChipinCT

[CT] SVI Amplifier went bad!

Tonight, we lost "Internet" and "TV" - our 2 services with Cox. After waiting 35 mins for a operator, they confirmed my cable modem was not 'answering' and so they lined up a service call for me for tomorrow.

Since my neighbors service was not out, I "jumped" out the amp to a TV and sure enough, it worked. The amp failed. Or, the power supply did. The power supply was quite hot.

Can I replace this amp myself? I can only find these on sale on craigslist, but one thing that concerns me, is that power supply (wall wart) has always been hot. I can't find any documentation on that unit.. I think it is over-driven.

Background: In October 2008, Cox replaced my modem with a WebSTAR DPC2100R2, and the tech also installed a SVI Digital SV-A15-2PRS Subscriber Amplifier after measuring signals. The amp's outputs go to a splitter (to 5 TVs) and direct to my cable modem.

TIA!
Chip

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

There may be another source for that type of equipment however they're only readily available to cable providers to the best of my knowledge.
ChipinCT
join:2013-01-16
West Suffield, CT

ChipinCT

Thanks. Do you know if there other commercially available amps that are equivalent or better?

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
Nokia BGW320-505

odog to ChipinCT

Premium Member

to ChipinCT
This very likely uses a 120AC to 12DC F81 power supply. Most of the "drop amps" uses the same type of power supply.

First suggestion, take the modem off the amp. Put a two way splitter before the amp with one side going directly to the modem, and the other going to the amplifier input.

The hot power supply is fairly normal from my experience, but I haven't worked with them in ~10 years.

digiblur
Premium Member
join:2002-06-03
Louisiana

digiblur to ChipinCT

Premium Member

to ChipinCT
I would also do away with the cable modem using the amp. There really is no need for it if it is wired correctly.

TelecomEng
@rr.com

TelecomEng to ChipinCT

Anon

to ChipinCT
Ahem...

»www.amazon.com/SVI-Subsc ··· 08C8926K