join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Steve

Re: Windows 8 is blocking Linux-based recovery environments

said by Steve:

I'm sorry, you are completely misreading this whole situation, blaming Acronis for behavior that's not even remotely bad or misleading.

You can't blame Acronis for what's happening but you can fault them for not stating their product won't do some of the things it claims.
It doesn't do shazbot with Win 8. The product spec needs to say it doesn't do shazbot with Win 8 and shouldn't be touted as being "fully" compatible.
--
CMKRNL

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
How is it not compatible with Win 8? It is as long as you enter bios and temporarily disable Secure Boot. SUPPOSEDLY, you can disable secure boot permanently if you wish (at least Intel says you can) but although Dell told Ed Bott in 2011 that this would be possible on all Dell Win 8 computers that has turned out to be NOT true, but you can disable temporarily and then Acronis will work. (Of course, if it is a Dell you are required to call Dell to get permission to enter Bios...Dell is having so many problems with new BIOS that they actually are telling users that entering Bios and changing anything will void the warranty unless done so under Dell tech supervision) but I don't know if other OEMs are doing this or having the severe problems Dell is having with its implementation of UEFI and fast boot. So, Acronis TI is compatible in THIS REGARD. Entering bios on a Win 8 computer is not easy though as boot is screaming fast so you have to know exactly what to do (hit the computer start button with one hand and with the other, AT THE SAME TIME, begin tapping F2 if you wish to enter bios. Acronis should have those instructions on their site as it is different from earlier OSes where boot was much slower.

A perhaps more important consideration is that Acronis 2011 did not support EFI GPT drives - does 2013? I see nothing about it at Acronis site. What I see there would make me run as fast as possible in the opposite direction and not because of whether not it fully supports Win 8 and restoration of EFI GPT drives but because of all the garbage that is now included in what should be an imaging program only.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson