spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ThaiGuy
join:2008-05-10
Thailand

ThaiGuy

VoIP provider that allows you to set your own SIP Username

I'd be interested to hear from, or find out about any VoIP providers that would allow me to set my own user ID (user name) and password on devices I provide to my Customers.

Must support G711 and accept calls without registration.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

Curious why it really matters what the username is?

What kind of problem are you trying to resolve that would need a vanity (for lack of a better term) username?

ThaiGuy
Thailand

ThaiGuy

My Customers make outgoing calls only, but they are important calls and we cannot rely on a single VoIP provider. I run Redirect servers and use DNS SRV as way of building redundancy into our service. When calls come in we redirect to provider 1. If they are down we redirect to provider 2..... and so on.

If provider 1 is CallCentric, we could provision the CallCentric username/password into the client ATA's and have the ability to redirect calls through either CallCentric or the backup provider.
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve

Premium Member

Sounds like you need a proxy server. Lots of free software around.
Proxy registers your customers, then you control what goes to providers. You could use IP authentication with various providers, and not require un/pw at each one.

There are lots of ways to solve this without having vanity user names.
gweidenh
join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX

gweidenh to ThaiGuy

to ThaiGuy
Onsip allows you to create your own username.

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1

Premium Member

Indeed they do, I just setup a new user yesterday.

ThaiGuy
Thailand

ThaiGuy to w1ve

to w1ve
I authored our own Redirect server so I can look at making it behave like a Proxy server. I like your idea of IP authentication and will investigate this further.

I will also check out OnSip for a quick fix