All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

aberranthian

@metrocast.net

35 Mbps package not delivering what's promised

Now before I start, I know that the packages have the words "up to" before the amount displayed and that more often than not, you won't get exactly what is promised all the time. However... Only recently (within the last few weeks) I've been experiencing SIGNIFICANT losses in DL speed. When I say significant, I mean I am only getting 0.5 to 5 Mbps DL at best during random times throughout the day. Half the time I get around 16-22 Mbps (I've done tests through speedtest.net and the metrocast speed test) and the other half the time I am getting the 0.5 Mbps to 5 or 7 Mbps. Now this has been very frequent lately (2 times a day or so) and lasting upwards of 1 to 4 hours at a time. What gives? Has anyone else experienced this? Like I said, it's never happened before a couple weeks ago and now all of the sudden I will randomly throughout the day get drops down to 1/32 of what I'm promised. What is causing this? I have not changed any of my settings on my router. It's all the same as it has been since set up. Could I get any fixes/advice? I have already tried the unplug, wait 10 min, plug back in methods multiple times each time it drops and 9/10 times it does absolutely nothing. Also, the router is only a year or so old and is one of the expensive models at the time (Linksys E2000) and all of my wireless technology is running wireless N. So my hardware is not the cause of this (90% positive). Any help?

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
What modem are you using?

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
I am using the Motorola SB5101 SURFboard Cable Modem that Metrocast sent us back in 2009ish when we signed up for the internet service.

Kathy D

join:2011-03-22
reply to aberranthian
I suggest calling MetroCast Tech Support at 1-800-608-6480.

jrobert69
How High?
Premium
join:2001-05-19
Rochester, NH
reply to aberranthian
Ask for a new modem. or buy one.
--
Spring at last

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
reply to aberranthian
I have seen full speeds here and I agree call MC and get them to figure it out. A quick search show it looks like you have a DOCSIS 2 modem and 35 down is I think at or above the max you can get out of 2 so you need a DOCSIS 3 modem. I purchased my own last year and have been happy with it and do not pay rental so that makes up for paying for it over time.

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
I see. That may be why. I don't know why they wouldn't inform us of that little fact but I suppose a call could possibly clear that up. I saw a post before about someone calling Metrocast before and Metrocast told them that they would send someone over to check it out but it would be at the expense of the person who called. I hope this doesn't end up being the case. I'll see if I can't get them to tell me how the specs line up against their new 35 package and see if they can send a replacement modem. (I believe we rent the modem) I purchased the router however so that's not an issue. Thanks for the suggestions. I almost always go to community forums before resorting to calling them, because in my experience, over the phone service is usually horrendous with companies. Thanks again. If I do end up figuring it out I will let you all know. Just to be certain of the cause and fix.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to aberranthian
Can't tell what system you are on but I am in Ct and I have called in about my speeds a few times over the years and have always been taken care of for no charge. I have had the cable from my house to the pole replaced. Taps on the pole changed on a holiday weekend and most recently two techs came to my house and redid the wiring inside my house. Not in the walls but all connections were changed.

I will admit the last one would have cost me had I not paid the 3.95 inside wire maintenance fee. So as long as the problem is not the wire inside your house there should not be a cost you.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
reply to aberranthian
Could be also that your node is getting saturated. With the speed increase it may be getting overloaded which would explain why it lasts for a few hours. Is it typically in the evening?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL
reply to aberranthian
said by aberranthian :

I am using the Motorola SB5101 SURFboard Cable Modem that Metrocast sent us back in 2009ish when we signed up for the internet service.

That is your problem. I would start by getting a DOCSIS3 modem.

You will only hit 35mb on that modem if no one else is on the Internet at all. With DOCSIS3, it will bond more channels to allow you to get the higher speeds.
--
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.

Disclaimer: These are MY comments, my employer cant be held responsible.

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
reply to ptrowski
It seems to be happening more randomly than before. But the times it drags down the most is around 6pm - 12am (I'm in NH btw)

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL
said by aberranthian :

It seems to be happening more randomly than before. But the times it drags down the most is around 6pm - 12am (I'm in NH btw)

That's peak time, so that sounds about right.

I would try and get that DOCSIS3 modem. You should have better results with that.
--

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
Yeah. I just got the new DOCSIS 3.0 modem today and saw a great improvement at first. I was reading 30-32 Mbps which was awesome. Although now as the day has progressed it has dropped down to 5 Mbps and it's barely being used (1 streaming video and 1 person playing WoW) and I know afternoon activity across the town would slow it down a little, but it should not be dropping down 25+ Mbps because of that. So I have to call Metrocast and have them send someone down to check out the "node" I believe it's called. Might be overloaded. We got in contact with them and they said if the new modem doesn't fix it to call and have someone come look at the node. So it helped, if only for a short amount of time.

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL
Wow, that's pretty bad.

Wish I could help you out more, but I am no longer associated with them.

When the problem gets fixed, your speeds will be more consistent with the DOCSIS3 modem, so I wouldn't return it.
--

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
Yeah. I had absolutely no problems before the package upgrade to the 35Mbps. So maybe it's some kinks they have to work out, but I'm hoping to get this resolved because we had no issues before all of this. It puzzles me but hopefully I can get it fixed soon. Thanks I'll report back if we figure out the issue.

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
Alright. I figured I'd send an update. It turns out that after my upgrade to the new modem nothing had changed. After having 2 different calls to their tech support and then having an actual tech come out for a trouble call, we've determined that it has absolutely nothing to do with my hardware, and that apparently Metrocast is having issues with their servers in my area and that they aren't sure when it will be fixed. As of yesterday I was told that they were working on it for a week already trying to fix the issue. Frustrating on my end because tonight I'm getting ~200 ms ping, 1.xx Mbps DL speed, and 1.xx Mbps upload speed. Also frustrating knowing we pay $70 a month for the top tier package and can't even get $5 worth of use out of it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
Those types of issues once identified are not an immediate fix.
Usually requires some hardware ordering and pre-planning. From what I remember it took 2-3 weeks here.

koan00

@metrocast.net
reply to aberranthian
Sorry if I missed it, but did you say what area you are in?

In Maryland they are having serious issues. Just about at the start of the year (and the 35MBps package) the speeds dropped really low. In the beginning of Jan, I was told node work was being done with an ETA of about end of Jan. Well Jan is almost over and the problem persists. I spoke again with support this evening and they said it's "a work in progress". As of now I'm going to downgrade my service level until metrocast can get its act together.

billh491

Pomfret Center, CT
reply to aberranthian
We are in North East CT

aberranthian

@metrocast.net
I'm in NH. Metrocast for me comes from Belmont. I've been experiencing these issues for 5 weeks now. They've only been working on it for about 2. All I know is I hope they plan to reimburse us for the lost speeds and money that went with it.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH
NH here too, but I'm getting over 35:

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?

Brierfield, AL
You're out of the Rochester system, which is a different router altogether. My guess is, they are working on it. They are usually on top of things when it comes to utilization issues, but you can't fix it with a snap of your fingers, it takes time.

Trust me, I know
--