uniqs
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

thewisperer

Premium Member

cool toy

Click for full size
Ever had a problem getting a rope over a roof to secure yourself?

Ever had a guy on a tower 100 ft up who forgot something?

This thing will shoot a dart and 17lb line 120 up

Tested, approved and I'm impressed
TheHox
join:2012-05-31

TheHox

Very cool toy.

How much that set you back?
Link us to some more details on it?
thewisperer
Premium Member

thewisperer

Premium Member

»www.thelaserline.com/

250 bucks in Canada

light years ahead of »www.lsdinc.com/content/p ··· tails/64

I was using that before
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to thewisperer

Premium Member

to thewisperer
Looks wicked.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to thewisperer

Premium Member

to thewisperer
coiling up the line is that a pain?

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

looking at the manul i assume you discard line once used.
kc9sqr
join:2011-11-10
Rockford, IL

kc9sqr to thewisperer

to thewisperer
That is pretty cool... And looks like it'll work a little better than my technique that I use to with my paintball gun...

There is nothing special about that gun, other than the very short barrel, it's just a standard paintball gun otherwise.. In my opinion if one is on a tight budget. It looks like you can buy just the darts, then purchase the paintball gun, and some reels of fishing line, or string elsewhere.. And still be able to achieve the same effect..

I've used some fishing line and foam "reballs" (re-usable foam paintball round about 25 cents per ball) through my paintball gun for shooting string over a suspended ceiling, up a tree, etc...

Those darts do look like they'll work much better for longer distances though... I ran a paintball field for about 10 years, as well as did all the airsmithing work.. I do like the "all in one package" of it though, I really wish I had come up with the idea of doing the whole package deal of it... It's definitely pretty cool way to re-purpose a paintball gun..
thewisperer
Premium Member

thewisperer

Premium Member

I had thought of building my own: I looked at used ones around 50 bucks;

when I saw this thing I said will try it see if I like it

I liked it: just replace a new spool in holder (1200 ft)

I did not bother trying to build one: too cool: looks and all: and case
kc9sqr
Rockford, IL

kc9sqr

I don't blame ya! That does look pretty sweet...

I figured I'd share my input on that for anyone that may just be starting out and/or just on a really tight budget to help with saving a few bucks...

I already have a functioning "kit" for the same purpose, barely ever have a need for it anymore, and yet I still want one of these

Also one last tip, do NOT leave the paintball gun gassed up with a charged CO2 cartridge when stored and not in use.. It is REALLY bad for the internal seals of the gun to be stored in a charged state.. Always remove the cartridge when done to discharge the air system of the paintball gun.. It also doesn't hurt to leave the hammer in a uncocked state (forward) when stored as well, it's a bit easier on the hammer spring...

Those two little tips, as well as a good cleaning/oiling every so often will keep that gun lasting for quite some time...

I've seen those type of paintball guns that were 10-15 years old and sometimes older, estimated 250,000 rounds fired through one of them, and still sending rounds down range..
thewisperer
Premium Member

thewisperer

Premium Member

I have never used paintball (c02) guns

So I should not leave a 1/2 empty cartridge in the gun?

They explain to "dry fire" until c02 is expelled before removing cartridge

That might explain why the case cut out does not allow you to have a cartridge in it while in storage: does not fit...

I have had a load in it for about 5 days and fired only one shot

I will post a video (must be one already?)

guess I should empty (demo) that first cartridge

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· ZQ-siM-s
kc9sqr
Rockford, IL

kc9sqr

Dry firing is an okay way to discharge the co2 cartridge, you can also unscrew it and leave it threaded and wait a few seconds for the rest of the CO2 to discharge from the cartridge... But as a general rule I've found (depending on how the gun is tuned) you SHOULD get 20-30 shots out of each 12 gram cartridge before it's empty...

I like that they made the case not fit the gun with gas in it, nice touch...

Just be careful with that thing, paintball guns can and do destroy eyeballs pretty close to instantly when used improperly... Whatever you do with it, do NOT look down the barrel when it's gassed...

I'm not saying you would, but I've ran a paintball field for a good amount of time, you wouldn't believe how many people do that. lol

I'm also going to suggest you, or anyone reading that may be interested in it, look into finding a paintball field near their area and giving it a try...

Ya never know... You might just have the most fun you've ever had

Oh... For a little extra safety with that, google "barrel plug" and put that in the end of your barrel until you're ready to load it and fire..
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to thewisperer

Premium Member

to thewisperer
said by thewisperer:

This thing will shoot a dart and 17lb line 120 up...

Shoot that dart into his ass a couple of times and his memory will improve.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to kc9sqr

to kc9sqr
said by kc9sqr:

Dry firing is an okay way to discharge the co2 cartridge, you can also unscrew it and leave it threaded and wait a few seconds for the rest of the CO2 to discharge from the cartridge... But as a general rule I've found (depending on how the gun is tuned) you SHOULD get 20-30 shots out of each 12 gram cartridge before it's empty...

doesn't this ruin the O rings by freezing them?
kc9sqr
Rockford, IL

kc9sqr

Possibly, but unlikely... Usually after firing the gun 5-10 times or more, there usually isn't enough CO2 to last more than a 1/2 to MAYBE 1 second burst of CO2 coming out.. And even if there is a bit more than that, it usually isn't enough in a 12 gram cartridge to do damage to the cartridge piercing pin..

The seal around the piercing pin is a bit different, and a lot more durable than the usual O rings that go on the larger tanks..
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky to thewisperer

to thewisperer
that makes sense, I was thinking Big tanks. O rings suck, I go through them all the time on my paintball gun and kegerator.
54067323 (banned)
join:2012-09-25
Tuscaloosa, AL

54067323 (banned) to thewisperer

to thewisperer
said by thewisperer:

You mean like a handline?
thewisperer
Premium Member

thewisperer

Premium Member

this allows you to shoot a line up, then a rope, then a bucket?

I looked at the video: not impressed: I will post one shooting over a huge house.
prairiesky
canada

prairiesky

said by thewisperer:

this allows you to shoot a line up, then a rope, then a bucket?

I looked at the video: not impressed: I will post one shooting over a huge house.

I showed this to my friends for that exact reason. They do xmas lights and are looking for better ways to tie off. What I some times do for roofs in winter is to throw a line over the house, it it off to my truck, then use it on the other side of the house. Roofers tie off to the top usually, but that requires a trip up at the beginning not tied off and a trip down at the end not tied off. My way solves those two problems. This devices solves getting the line over the house if it's too big to throw over

DaDawgs
Premium Member
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

DaDawgs to thewisperer

Premium Member

to thewisperer
I would require every climber to carry a roll of dental floss in his tool bag at all times. Never could get them to actually do it though...

Regarding Bore Plugs and paintball they can and have been shot out of the barrel. We used a sock over the end of the barrel. Google "paintball barrel sock", for examples.
thewisperer
Premium Member

thewisperer

Premium Member

IMG_0309.MOV
1,171,458 bytes
IMG_0310.MOV
1,177,143 bytes
better late than never: just getting warmer here;

btw: that's not my car!

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to prairiesky

to prairiesky
said by prairiesky:

What I some times do for roofs in winter is to throw a line over the house, it it off to my truck, then use it on the other side of the house.

That works when you park your ruck in the front driveway and work on the backyard side of roof. But what if you have to work on the driveway side of the roof?

What do you tie off your rope to? Screw in earth anchors?