join:2001-08-27
Canada

1 recommendation

MarkAW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: What AV are you running?

said by Mele20:

Avast has too many FP's. It says there is a trojan in WinPatrol.

I never thought I would do this but I now use Windows Defender on Win 8. I don't get FP's, I don't get my AV locking HostsMan when supposedly it, by default, excludes the hosts file from scanning, I don't have a new AV refusing to install because I have Spyware Blaster installed, etc. I don't have problems with Windows Defender. Yeah, I know its detection rate is not very good but it doesn't give me serious headaches for no reason like every other AV does.

Says you i have never seen avast say that about WinPatrol on any of my systems, so i think you need to check your setup.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20

Premium Member

I guess you didn't see my thread?

»Avast detecting trojan in WinPatrol

I submitted the detection to Virus Total and it shows Avast and GData (which uses Avast engine) as the only two AV detecting this "trojan".

If you Google you will find that Avast (and a few other AV) have detected this trojan falsely several times over the past few years and not just in WinPatrol. Since no one else is seeing it currently, I suspect that this is an old Avast FP that I am getting because GData, when it installs, has really OLD definitions and GDData begins IMMEDIATELY to update them without my doing anything. The detection in WinPatrol is made just as GData is updating its definitions...in fact GData is also updating the program itself yet its scanner is doing an idle scan when it probably should wait until its program is updated and its definitions are also updated. I now think it is detecting this off the definitions that come with the installation and those are old. It is a false positive from Avast...just not a current one.

GData support is puzzled but I didn't tell them when I emailed support that GData apparently is so zealous that it is doing an idle scan before it finishes updating its definitions. I will tel them that now and ask why the definitions that come with the download are so very old.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

4 edits

1 recommendation

MarkAW

Premium Member

That's not avast that is saying Winpatrol is a trojan. May be you should look at your own thread and see. Gdata may use a Avast engine but it's not Avast, and the two replies in that thread prove that it's not avast.
Then again you only started that thread a day after this thread to try and prove a point which was a fail (imo), since it's your Winpatrol host file according to your post in that very thread that Gdata is detecting.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Virus Total shows that Avast detects that file as a trojan. Avast and GData (using the Avast definitions) are the only two vendors that detect it as malware. Avast forum has references to it, but not current ones, and that is another reason I think the detection was made from GData's Avast definitions that come on the download of the product trial version and if GData hadn't been so fast to do an idle scan but had waited until the new product updates and definitions were loaded it probably would not have detected it as Avast fixed the FP.

I didn't start that thread to prove a point. The timing was coincidental. I was waiting to hear back from GData support.
slajoh01
join:2005-04-23

slajoh01

Guys....I said this many many times. AVOID FREE AV solutions like Avast...It ain't good.

If u really cannot afford your data to be compromised, then an Endpoint security enterprise solution is the way to go IMAO...