spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Vlargh

@teksavvy.com

Trouble with vonage modem and linksys wrt54g router,plz help

Hi, I just recently got my vonage modem and for some reason it doesnt connect to my linksys wrt54g; the internet light keeps blinking. Did anyone here have the same problem? I have the dd-wrt firmware for linksys.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Vlargh :

Hi, I just recently got my vonage modem and for some reason it doesnt connect to my linksys wrt54g; the internet light keeps blinking. Did anyone here have the same problem? I have the dd-wrt firmware for linksys.

To my knowledge, Vonage does not sell modems. If you are trying to use your Vonage ATA as a modem, that is your problem.

If you need more help than that, you are going to have to supply some more information such as:

1. Brands/models of all equipment involved (including your modem, assuming that you have one).

2. A detailed description of exactly what is connected to what (and how it is connected...identify which interface ports are connected together).

3. Post screen shots of your modem, router, and Vonage box config and status pages.

And FWIW, making the same post twice using different user names is not going to get you help any faster.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

mahermusic

join:2001-07-06
U.S.A.
Reviews:
·Vonage
reply to Vlargh
I've been a Vonage customer since Day One, and Vonage has never marketed an adapter/modem combination. They've produced a number of 4-port router/2 port phone/wireless combos, but no phone/modem combos like Comcast, Cablevision, etc. currently provide for their internet/VOIP phone offerings.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by mahermusic:

I've been a Vonage customer since Day One, and Vonage has never marketed an adapter/modem combination.

Until/unless we hear back from the OP, my guess is that the OP has previously had a cable ISP provided VoIP service (where the VoIP ATA is indeed inside a modem), and has made an assumption that this is the way VoIP is done, and the new Vonage box is also a modem.
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Vlargh

@teksavvy.com
Sorry by modem I meant the modem looking box hat vonage sends you through post. And Sony for the double post the reason I did that is because I thought I have to register to post since his one wasn't showing up.

At the moment the vonage ata is connected to the router and the router is connected to my dsl modem. So the ethernet cable from my router is connected to the internet labeled slot of the ata. The router is set to pppoe and the ate is set to dhcp automatic.

The odd thing is if I connect if I connect my dsl modem to the vonage ata directly and then connect my router to the ata (so that it gets Internet through the ata) it works fine however the after awhile my router stops receiving connection from the ata.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Vlargh :

At the moment the vonage ata is connected to the router and the router is connected to my dsl modem. So the ethernet cable from my router is connected to the internet labeled slot of the ata. The router is set to pppoe and the ate is set to dhcp automatic.

So is the above setup working or is it not working? Unless your internet connection is too slow to allow simultaneous data and VoIP traffic without aggressive QoS in your router, that should work just fine.

said by Vlargh :

The odd thing is if I connect if I connect my dsl modem to the vonage ata directly and then connect my router to the ata (so that it gets Internet through the ata) it works fine however the after awhile my router stops receiving connection from the ata.

When you did this test, did you remember to do the PPPoE in the Vonage ATA's WAN setup, and setup your router's WAN for DHCP? Also, is your DSL "modem" actually a "modem", or is it a modem/router gateway box? Many modem/router combination boxes, and even the Vonage ATA will attempt to do PPPoE passthrough, but that is not usually very reliable. Making sure that the "modem" is actually being used as a bridged modem, and doing the PPPoE in the Vonage ATA, with your router's WAN in DHCP modem would be preferable to relying on multiple layers of PPPoE passthrough. Of course, the only reason for putting the Vonage ATA in front of the router would be if you don't have enough upstream bandwidth; otherwise what you are currently doing is usually preferable.
--