elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to andyb

Re: Shaw sells Mountain Cablevision to Rogers

HA, the rumors of Cogeco's sale have come up again with this sale.
I can read it on my tablet using the app (they haven't figured how to lock that down yet). If anyone has a "Globe Unlimited" account please post the story here.

If the past Louis Audet has said no, but recently his father passed away and no doubt the shares will get divided amongst the wife and kids.

Apparently the dividends the company pays out on the Audet holdings is only $2m/yr while Louis is bringing in $3m as CEO. With Mountain cable sold to Rogers, Rogers now controls the territory on 3 sides of Cogeco.

Just like the Waters family said they wouldn't sell Chum upon the passing of their father, I'm sure it's a matter of time before Cogeco is up for grabs.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

yuuuuup

@204.93.60.x

Cogeco also now has;

A transit company (PEER1), A foot in the US market (Atlantic Broadband) and a Fiber Company in the downtown Toronto core (Cogeco Data Services)

Pretty sure they are not in a rush to sell.

MFido

join:2012-10-19
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

HA, the rumors of Cogeco's sale have come up again with this sale.

EACH time when any change happens in our small Canadian telecom world, even a small, small change, this rumor appears ... It is just funny. I do not see WHY Cogeco would sell ...

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Rogers now controls the territory on 3 sides of Cogeco.

That's not as big a deal as it sounds considering that there's really only two major cable players in Southern Ontario, and Shaw was never major.

Mountain wanted to sell to Rogers from the very beginning, but it all came down to money and Shaw at the time had the better deal.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to MFido

Same reason the Waters family sold CHUM to CTV, MONEY.

While settle for a paltry 2m/yr (split 5 ways) in yearly return, when you can get a huge payday now and not worry about the company making or losing money.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

Click for full size
downloadpiac_cac_omc···ctrum_op 126,134 bytes
(piac_cac_omca_cippic_cocso_letter_re_shaw_rogers_aws_spectrum_option_agreement.p)
PIAC, CIPPIC, Open Media, and others request that the Minister stop the sale of the AWS spectrum that was reserved for new entrants which Shaw purchased, from being sold to Rogers, as its against the original intents of the auction.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP