guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to jasontaylor

Premium Member

to jasontaylor

Re: [HD] Is Verizon lying about HD?

OWN is not carried in HD on FIOS, not just on FIOS but many other cable networks as well.

The ratings are horrible and discovery has pour half a billion into the new network, yet pulls in audiences less than on tenth of the previous syndicated weekly show.

No cable network has the capacity to carry all the available HD streams so decisions are made to carry the most popular
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned)

said by guppy_fish:

OWN is not carried in HD on FIOS, not just on FIOS but many other cable networks as well.

The ratings are horrible and discovery has pour half a billion into the new network, yet pulls in audiences less than on tenth of the previous syndicated weekly show.

No cable network has the capacity to carry all the available HD streams so decisions are made to carry the most popular

This argument doesn't work on Verizon, sorry. They couldn't care less about "popularity." They will add whatever random crap a Verizon exec decides on a whim that needs to be added.

FiOS probably has the highest ratio of crap HD out there. Need I remind you that Verizon is wasting six HD slots on those ".TV" networks that no cable provider will carry; another ten HD slots on those weird Spanish channels that no one has ever heard of before, and another dozen HD slots carrying redundant west coast premium channels on east coast systems and vice versa.

What is that, over 25 HD channel slots Verizon is wasting on random, redundant or low rated bullshit right now?

Also, OWN is carried in HD by everyone else except for DirecTV and Comcast. They are in HD on Dish, AT&T, Time Warner, Cox, Charter, etc. It's far from being a fringe network like the Byron Allen channels are.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

1 recommendation

knarf829

You had me until your defense of OWN, which is a nothing vanity channel created to feed one large woman's equally massive ego. I'm glad we don't have it in HD.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

2 edits

46436203 (banned)

said by knarf829:

You had me until your defense of OWN, which is a nothing vanity channel created to feed one large woman's equally massive ego. I'm glad we don't have it in HD.

Every channel is a vanity channel created to feed someone's massive ego.

My defense of OWN was in response to the hypocrisy of that post by guppy_fish.

Just be thankful that Oprah only has one network instead of seven like Byron Allen...

I will take OWN HD over Byron Allen's 7 .TV networks any day.
said by nowayout:

Verizon has started muxing more channels at 3:1. They're not "compressing" the channels per se, but the channels they're pairing 3:1 were already being delivered at lower bitrates (12mbps), making the negative side-effects mostly negligible. Until this past year or so they were fitting them at 2:1 regardless. So this has given them more room to play with.

This is not true.

The bulk of the 12 Mbps networks are not being received like that.

Verizon is receiving MPEG-4 signals and instead of re-encoding them to MPEG-2 at 15+ Mbps they are now re-encoding them to MPEG-2 at 12 Mbps.

As most things Verizon receives now are MPEG-4 they are re-encoding just about everything. For some reason they also re-encode AXS.TV in most VHOs (Distributed as MPEG-2 @ 17 Mbps bitrate) to MPEG-2 again at the same bitrate, introducing additional compression artifacts for zero bandwidth savings. This makes little sense.
jasontaylor
join:2010-11-17
Kensington, MD

jasontaylor

Another excellent post in this thread by Murica:

"... This makes little sense."

But does any of this make any sense? Remember, as I pointed out what, over a year ago on my twitter feed, this is the same company that removed the DVD and AUX buttons from their remotes because customers who didn't have surround sound systems complained they didn't know how to turn off their TVs, when a key reason to have FIOS is 5.1 audio in the first place (as opposed to Netflix+Hulu+, which at the time was stereo only), which indeed usually requires having a non-tv, non-set top box power ON/OFF capability.

jimmybouy
@verizon.net

jimmybouy

Anon

said by jasontaylor:

Another excellent post in this thread by Murica:

"... This makes little sense."

But does any of this make any sense? Remember, as I pointed out what, over a year ago on my twitter feed, this is the same company that removed the DVD and AUX buttons from their remotes because customers who didn't have surround sound systems complained they didn't know how to turn off their TVs, when a key reason to have FIOS is 5.1 audio in the first place (as opposed to Netflix+Hulu+, which at the time was stereo only), which indeed usually requires having a non-tv, non-set top box power ON/OFF capability.

sorry i didnt read ur twitter tweets from today or yesterday much less a year ago. people with high end systems tend to use remotes that come with the system rather than a cable remote.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to jasontaylor

to jasontaylor
quote:
But does any of this make any sense? Remember, as I pointed out what, over a year ago on my twitter feed, this is the same company that removed the DVD and AUX buttons from their remotes because customers who didn't have surround sound systems complained they didn't know how to turn off their TVs, when a key re
This is actually true, no matter what your opinion is. I heard dozens of customers complaining about those remotes, and I hated them as well. One point though, they should have BOTH versions available for the few that need to control additional components.