Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3

Re: Of Netbooks, Tablets And Linux's Revenge

Interesting. I have heard many people say they love windows 8, but yet it seems that many don't like windows 8. A few I have read even consider it worse then windows Vista.

I have yet to use a computer* with windows 8 on it, so I am rather curious as to why it's getting a lot of mixed feedback.

*We will be getting two low priced laptops for the kids towards spring [low price being 450 to 550 dollars]. So I'll have a chance to "explore win 8 then I guess.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

drjim
Premium,MVM
join:2000-06-13
Long Beach, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Out of all the people I know who have Windows 8, it's about 70% SUCKS and 30% it's OK.
--
One man's Magic is another man's Engineering.

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2
said by drjim:

Out of all the people I know who have Windows 8, it's about 70% SUCKS and 30% it's OK.

Is it a tablet OS, a desktop OS, or both? Not sure myself.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Snakeoil
Some people like the tiles - those that likely use a smart phone with tiles or a tablet and those that hate the tiles (myself included) that primarily use a PC...

I have seen the tiles on a laptop of a friends and I hate them. They guys wife - has had issues figuring out how to close programs - like Paint. The new Paint looks idiotic and I am not sure I can use it for what I currently use it for... She eventually found a way to close Paint - but it took several steps more than it should. Several programs they can't find anyway to close a program but by using Task Manager.

I am one that I would prefer to not have to use external programs to get functionality I want - like the Start button.

I am waiting for some time to load Win 7 Pro I bought just before Christmas...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
Windows 8 was impossible to do real work in. I know several users (not technophobic by any means) who ended up having to upgrade their new systems to 7 to be able to work (all using niche Windows-only packages or they would have switched over to GNU/Linux on their workstations). I'm almost convinced that Windows 8 was a ploy to boost Windows 7 sales and even if people don't buy 7, they have already paid for a WIndows 8 licence
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL
kudos:1
reply to DarkSithPro
said by DarkSithPro:

Is it a tablet OS, a desktop OS, or both? Not sure myself.

Both, but you miss much of its unique functionality on a PC if you don't upgrade to a Touchscreen too.

I have seen a couple of WIN 8 laptops advertised out there that have touchscreens.

I think the tablet version is slimmed down some.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

so I am rather curious as to why it's getting a lot of mixed feedback.

It IMO pointlessly attempts to combine a touch-device UI with a desktop UI.

My typical desktop system has a couple of 16:9 monitors, has over a dozen open windows all the time [some of them even executing on Linux systems], and the keyboard gets used a lot. I simply don't need a radical paradigm shift.

There surely are better UIs for different devices (touch screen: phones and tablets) than the 'desktop' UI, and for all I know Windows 8 provides that better UI. But the cost is that it worsens the desktop UI I still need.

You can, if you want, assume that I'm an old geezer who can't take change. To that, I say: (a) when I were a lad, we talked to computers by drilling holes in cardboard, so don't talk to me about 'radical UI change' (b) I was probably point'n'clicking on a VAXstation while some here were still on an etch-a-sketch, and (c) I use and like the iPhone UI on a touch screen device.

I am thinking that this Windows might be the first version (in the Windows NT line, not that old DOS-based Win3/Win9x line) that I never buy. Though that will bring its own infrastructure upheavals.

Sorry for the waffling, but I bet you don't get many Windows users in here

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Some people like the tiles - those that likely use a smart phone with tiles or a tablet and those that hate the tiles (myself included) that primarily use a PC...

I have seen the tiles on a laptop of a friends and I hate them. They guys wife - has had issues figuring out how to close programs - like Paint. The new Paint looks idiotic and I am not sure I can use it for what I currently use it for... She eventually found a way to close Paint - but it took several steps more than it should. Several programs they can't find anyway to close a program but by using Task Manager.

I am one that I would prefer to not have to use external programs to get functionality I want - like the Start button.

I am waiting for some time to load Win 7 Pro I bought just before Christmas...

I take it that they never used a touch screen device? close is drag down from top. not many steps at all
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
They have smart phones but I don't know which ones. Problem is - it is not the least bit intuitive and that is a huge problem for Win 8.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to drjim
I wanted to like Win 8. I really did. I tried for about a month but could not get used to the new interface. It seemed to me it was a huge step back and was not as easy to use as the old interface. A friend of mine tried it at a local store and hated it. I didn't think I hated it but once I went back to Win 7 I realized how much I missed it.

If Microsoft wants to get into smartphone and tablet market I have no problems with that. I do have a problem with them pushing a tablet OS on my PC.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

They have smart phones but I don't know which ones. Problem is - it is not the least bit intuitive and that is a huge problem for Win 8.

That's a qualitative statement. About as useful as the IDC numbers.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

scrummie02
Bentley
Premium
join:2004-04-16
Arlington, VA
reply to FiReSTaRT
»www.classicshell.net/

No need to downgrade, classic shell got me running in less than five minutes.