join:2012-08-17

1 edit

Darknessfall to swintec

Premium Member

to swintec

Re: [Hardware] iDEN Shuts Down; Sprint Network Vision 800MHz CDM

@swintec
»network.sprint.com/CT/Hartford/

Gives a rough idea where Sprint towers are.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected

Anon

said by Darknessfall:

@swintec

According to that map, the tower down the road from me is designated a "1" (the legend indicates "voice upgrades"). I get a very strong signal as I pass the tower. Today my wife had the phone in the car while I drove and she read off the dB levels. Upper -60s were the readings as we passed north and south of the tower.

I must say that coverage on the roads is seamless though. I had a conversation that took me through three towns, a car wash, inside stores, and never dropped the call or had it get degraded intelligability. The ONLY place where the phone does not work is at the house.

Noticed another interesting thing. The other day when I measured, it was raining and I had 1 bar at the roof and in the yard. Today it was dry and cold and I had 3 bars in the yard. I even had 1 bar in the front of the house, where all glass windows are facing the tower and was able to continue the call for a bit.

My hope is that they do indeed utilize the 800MHz CDMA capabilities of the LG 730 and give me good service again. 1900MHz is literally line of sight. If you have ANY obstructions at all between you and the tower, you don't get a signal. With the iDEN, the 816Mhz fared MUCH better, even penetrating dense forest.

Sprint is improving, but has a way to go at my house. We've ordered a Wilson dB Pro cell booster and antenna kit. I think it's the only solution that will enable me to use the phone in the house.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

@swintec

Very rough as it will only show towers that are to be upgraded or have been upgraded within last 6 months.

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to disconnected

to disconnected
said by disconnected :

Sprint is improving, but has a way to go at my house. We've ordered a Wilson dB Pro cell booster and antenna kit. I think it's the only solution that will enable me to use the phone in the house.

If you have dsl or cable broadband you could get a contract and they would sell you a femtocell. They don't have one available on their pre-paid brands as far as I can tell.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

1 recommendation

swintec

Premium Member

said by dib22:

If you have dsl or cable broadband you could get a contract and they would sell you a femtocell. They don't have one available on their pre-paid brands as far as I can tell.

I believe they allow it on the Ting prepaid brand now. Whether you buy it from them or get a use done on ebay.

disconnected
@snet.net

disconnected to dib22

Anon

to dib22
We're shutting off our landline, so no broadband soon. Will be relying 100% on the mobile phone for all voice and internet soon.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by disconnected :

We're shutting off our landline, so no broadband soon. Will be relying 100% on the mobile phone for all voice and internet soon.

Ouch.. bad move. Wired internet is always better than wireless.

Good luck!
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule

Premium Member

The fastest landline service I can get (Frontier DSL)

Verizon 4g

US Cellular 4g

said by dib22:

Good luck!

Depends on where you live...this is what I can get where I live.

dib22
Kansas City, MO

dib22

said by applerule:

said by dib22:

Good luck!

Depends on where you live...this is what I can get where I live.

It's not the speeds... it's the overage costs.
decifal7
join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN

decifal7 to applerule

to applerule
But what is the cost/cap for frontier for that speed? If its even similar to att's dsl cap, i'd hang onto it.. Wireless has been too dang flaky for me... Not to mention the cost to use ratio..