morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Switched from tek to ebox seemlesly

I was on tek, dsl i went ahead and switched seamlessly today from one to the other, everything is now working perfectly on ebox. went from 78/month to 42/month Quite the price gap! woot. though to be fair its mostly the Dryloop, Modem rentals on the 25/10 i went 15/1 this time.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

So, you're comparing apples and oranges then. You're comparing the following services:

TekSavvy 25/10 with 300 GB cap for $78
eBox 15/1 with 150GB cap for $42

I'm not saying eBox's 15/1 wouldn't still be cheaper. It would be, because eBox's 250GB and TSI's 300GB are about the same price, but eBox includes the dry loop. But you're not going from $78 to $42 because you switched to eBox, you're going from $78 to $42 because you switched from 25/10 to 15/1.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit

Well even apples to apples guzpaz P:) 45.95 +10 = 55.95 VS teksavvys 52.99+8+9 = 70 So either way there is a 14 dollar difference out the gate. And more potential for unlimited usage with an additional 4 hours a day included in leech time.

I will assume ya typoed the 15/1 150g since it appears that way I know its not apples to apples, But the main point was my transitition went seamlessly P:)
--

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to morisato

I didn't typo the 150GB, you said you were now paying $42/mth, and the only eBox plan for 15/1 that costs $42 or less is their 150GB plan.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
reply to morisato

EBOX has different pricing for 15/1 and it's much cheaper in Ontario.

markf

join:2008-01-24
Burlington, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·ELECTRONICBOX
·Execulink Telecom
reply to morisato

For direct comparison, in Ontario:

Tek (dryloop 15/1 300GB with Band B dryloop) = $62.25 taxes in
eBox (dryloop 15/1 250GB) = $42.88

eBox also has 500GB for $54.18 for higher usage users.

Not sure how the are doing it, but the biggest difference comes in the fact that eBox has no dryloop fees.

Good to know transitions are easy. I'm on 6/800 and seriously considering their 15/1 package along with another VoIP provider (I'm not with Tek, but may do TekTalk out of ease of use. I will also look at low cost voip.ms and decide shortly.

Dcite

join:2006-05-12
Mississauga, ON
reply to morisato

If it's not too much trouble I am interested to know how fast EBOX's 15/1 is in a speedtest.net ? Is it actually close to 1Mbit upload? Or more like a slight increase of the dsl overhead version...
890Kbps+ upload would be great,
If it's close to 690kbps like the 800Kbit sync rate for DSL... not much of an improvement?

knightdsl

join:2013-01-19
Kanata, ON
reply to morisato

Hi Morisato. I also just signed up with Ebox for 15/1 250G. For the 1st few days, I was getting consistent download speeds of 15Mbps (using speedtest.net). Then my speeds dropped to 10.4Mbps. Are you getting something similar? My uploads remain consistently close to 800Kbps.

morisato

Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Speeds are good for me dcite, Your distance will be your own issue and yes guzpaz before tax my 15/1 is 37.95 In Ontario, WITH 250 gig cap.

--

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
reply to morisato

The real story here people, is some are not pleased with the current look, the current feel of Teksavvy.

If Bell Canada were FREE utterly no cost at all, I would still spit in their face and tell them to cram their service regardless of the circumstances.

Sometimes the circumstances are all that matters and sometimes it has nothing at all to do with the price.

Teksavvy is still a good 'price', but, with some, Teksavvy is no longer the Teksavvy they were.

I have pondered Nexicom, and I have pondered Start. The are both different small guy operations, and there is little difference if you are just looking at the prices.

It's sometimes the company that differs and sometimes that is what really matters.

It would not be the first time I have seen a small operation gain success gain size and then grow larger than they can manage and remain what they once were.

I am pondering E-Box myself, as it is more about all the intangibles, that are not found on the main page of the company web site where you get prices and details and specs.

And considering those that don't know it, Mori is the brains behind my internet satisfaction
You never argue with the person that maintains your computers and your services.

There's going to be a lot of fallout from Teksavvy getting large, and from all the garbage surrounding 'the court case', and while little of it is Teksavvy wishing it to be so, the marketplace is no place for those that can't swim.

As it stands, I likely will gain more than just price differences and performance differences with a switch to an alternate option.

But lacking a crystal ball, I won't claim to know how things will be in a year from now. I hope all goes well for everyone.