uniqs
share rss forum feed

unwired9
Premium
join:2008-04-08
Algoma, WI
reply to unwired9

Re: OSPF Backhauls

Inssomniak feels my pain - The issue is if I take down the bridge I loose connectivity to the far side radio. For instance if I wanted to drop the link to run a spectrum scan from both sides - I could not. I was thinking that vlan may be the solution with the exception being that I would run a /30 between the far side router and bridge and a /30 to the near side router and bridge and then a seperate /30 for the router to router - ospf communication. I have redundant links accross the board so it is not a matter of being able to access the far side router if I drop the link. This is not an ospf issue or a ubnt ospf issue - It is how would you maintain management access to the bridge in the event the link went down or you dropped the link for maintianance purposes.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

said by unwired9:

It is how would you maintain management access to the bridge in the event the link went down or you dropped the link for maintianance purposes.

If I understand your question then the answer would be: you dont have to worry about it, thats what OSPF will take care of, and the reason we use routing protocols like that.

If you have redundant paths around your network, then if one of them fails, the subnets attached to the routers either side of that failed links simply become available via other paths.

If you have an existing connection open to a device, packets for that connection should start routing via the new path. If you try to establish a connection, then again packets route via the new paths to reach the device.

When the link comes back up and OSPF determines there is a better path, all packets start routing via that path again.

There is likely to be a short delay as OSPF realises that a link has failed and withdraws routes via that path and it propagates around the network.

Naturally if you've done something like what I illustrated above, then its easy enough to lose access to a device when the link drops, since it is "connected" to a device over the link that has gone down.

If you have redundant paths then yes, definitely have each radio on each side of a link connected management wise to its local router to take advantage of routing around link failures.