how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnPaul

join:2011-04-18
North York, ON

[Express] Can't get DPC3008 setup as D3, need to buy new modem

After countless hours on the phone with Rogers, I have given up trying to get my Cisco DPC 3008 D3 modem set up as such. They will only activate it as a D2 modem.

I will most likely go to a Rogers store and buy one of their modems. What models are being offered? What's good, what's bad?

Thanks,
Paul.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

Re: [Express] Can't get DPC3008 setup as D3, need to buy new mod

said by JohnPaul:

After countless hours on the phone with Rogers, I have given up trying to get my Cisco DPC 3008 D3 modem set up as such. They will only activate it as a D2 modem.

I will most likely go to a Rogers store and buy one of their modems. What models are being offered? What's good, what's bad?

Thanks,
Paul.

The only modems sold in stores now is the Hitron. Crappy wireless gateway, but in bridge mode it should work just fine as a modem.

simon726

join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON
said by yyzlhr See Profile
The only modems sold in stores now is the Hitron. Crappy wireless gateway, but in bridge mode it should work just fine as a modem.
[/BQUOTE :

You didn't forget the Cisco DPC3825. Like the Hitron, the Wireless gateway is "substandard".

Putting either the HiTron or the Cisco DPC3825 is preferred.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by simon726:

said by yyzlhr See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

You didn't forget the Cisco DPC3825. Like the Hitron, the Wireless gateway is "substandard".

Putting either the HiTron or the Cisco DPC3825 is preferred.

The DPC3825 is not technically sold in store. You can buy one from the rental pool if you want, but it costs more to do that then to buy a retail packaged Hitron.

arthurwinslo

join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON
reply to JohnPaul
Johnpaul, set up the modem as a DPC3825. They DPC3008/DPC3010/DPC3825 utilize the same firmware base. The whole reason why they won't provision the modem is because you told them it is a DPC3008.

So while there is no technical reason to provision the modem as a docsis 2 modem (considering the modem will still bond 8 channels regardless) they are simply refusing because the modem isn't purchased from them.

There are a bunch of DPC3008's on the Rogers side of the network in Markham and Richmond Hill as I am typing this.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by arthurwinslo:

Johnpaul, set up the modem as a DPC3825. They DPC3008/DPC3010/DPC3825 utilize the same firmware base. The whole reason why they won't provision the modem is because you told them it is a DPC3008.

So while there is no technical reason to provision the modem as a docsis 2 modem (considering the modem will still bond 8 channels regardless) they are simply refusing because the modem isn't purchased from them.

There are a bunch of DPC3008's on the Rogers side of the network in Markham and Richmond Hill as I am typing this.

Are they registered as D3 devices with Rogers? Most users have reported that they've only been able to register a DPC3008 as a D2 device. The modem will still get channel bonding but because the billing system sees it as a D2 modem, those customers are not able to switch to in market tiers that require a D3 modem.

JohnPaul

North York, ON
reply to arthurwinslo
Hi ArthurWinslo,
You are correct and I've tried many times with different Rogers people, but they just can't get their system to accept my DPC3008 as D3. It appears that once my modem got registered as a D2, their system will only recognize it as a D2. Someone from their IT dep would have to somehow delete it but this is beyond their scope so they won't do it.

JohnPaul

North York, ON
reply to JohnPaul
I went to a Rogers store on the weekend to buy a new modem - no stock! They sent me to Best Buy - no stock!
Perhaps a new modem is on the way?

Anyone know if Rogers sells returned modems (like the DPC 3825) for a more reasonable price?

Paul.

yyzlhr

Scarborough, ON
said by JohnPaul:

I went to a Rogers store on the weekend to buy a new modem - no stock! They sent me to Best Buy - no stock!
Perhaps a new modem is on the way?

Anyone know if Rogers sells returned modems (like the DPC 3825) for a more reasonable price?

Paul.

They do not, returned modems simply go back to refurbishment and re-deployed in the rental pool.

arthurwinslo

join:2012-11-30
Toronto, ON
reply to yyzlhr
yyzlhr, the majority of them are running the 80/10 tier, and a few 46/4 and a couple 18/1