uniqs
share rss forum feed

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY
reply to Rattler

Re: Verizon FIOS Battery Backup

said by Rattler:

I keep the boat batteries on a smart charger over the Winter put-up season and they have been very reliable.

Which smart charger do you use?

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

said by JackBauer:

said by Rattler:

I keep the boat batteries on a smart charger over the Winter put-up season and they have been very reliable.

Which smart charger do you use?

It's a Guest (by Marinco) 2614A, marine dual battery charger designed to be installed in the engine space on an inboard boat (must be ignition protected). It is a 3-stage charger that looks at the battery state and applies full rated output (10A or 5A depending on which battery bank it's outputs are connected to) until the battery voltage reaches an "almost charged" set point, then it goes into "Absorption" mode which lowers the current to about 60% of the full load value until the battery reaches what is considered fully charged state and then it drops the charge current back to 0-3A to maintain a float level on the battery, depending on what the battery voltage is doing.

Its designed to not "cook" the batteries once they attain full charge.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

JackBauer

join:2006-08-24
Schenectady, NY

said by Rattler:

It's a Guest (by Marinco) 2614A, marine dual battery charger designed to be installed in the engine space on an inboard boat

Thanks - was just curious because I bought an Xtreme Charge about a month ago and it saved two batteries a Ctek 7002 could not. I was amazed.

Darn thing needs to be fixed though, has a problem with the LEDs and it's kinda annoying I have to send it back to be repaired after only having it a month, but again... It saved me from replacing a car battery on a car that come off lease relatively soon. A great investment to save sulphated batteries. Love that thing.