spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whichpasswor

@comcast.net

Which password manager is the safest and most trustworthy?

Keepass, Lastpass or RoboForm?

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

I use free KeePass v1.x and think it's pretty safe...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to whichpasswor

I prefer PasswordSafe 2.2. It's secure, doesn't store anything online, and highly portable (no dependencies like .NET). I can't speak for the newer versions.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to whichpasswor

»passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

no__1__here
Premium
join:2003-10-13
Tomball, TX
reply to OZO

said by OZO:

I use free KeePass v1.x and think it's pretty safe...

+1

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state

1 recommendation

reply to whichpasswor

I use free LastPass. The main reason is all the integration with chrome and everything else. Website is nice as well.

It's using 500 iterations of PBKDF2-SHA256(i don't think HMAC) which makes it somewhat secure against cracking. But then again, the iteration count is adjustable and actually getting the database is pretty hard to do(gets deleted every time the browser closes).

So usability is the main reason I use it.

DevilFrank

join:2003-07-13
reply to whichpasswor

I do use Password Depot since V3. It´s not for free but it´s worth the money in my eyes.
--
Regards from Germany. Please excuse my stumbling English

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

reply to whichpasswor

Password Corral
Got to be safe. I'm likely the only one left using it .

Lagz
Premium
join:2000-09-03
The Rock
reply to whichpasswor

I use pin and paper. I guess if I didn't feel secure about my surroundings or I needed to hide some top secret military plans then that might be different.
--
When somebody tells you nothing is impossible, ask him to dribble a football.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to whichpasswor

I've used Password Agent for years, and it has worked well for me.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I use Lastpass myself but I have extra security enabled in which I have to use a six-digit code generated by Google Authenticator on my Android phone to log into my Lastpass account on unknown computers.

Obviously on my computers I don't need the six-digit code because I trust them but on untrusted computers I have to use Google Authenticator to login.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Expand your moderator at work

MorpheusUK

join:2003-09-09
reply to whichpasswor

Re: Which password manager is the safest and most trustworthy?

I use KeePass Password Safe 2.x (moved from 1.x as .NET is installed by default on Win 7 and above anyway). It also has the advantage of being supported on many platforms I used a version on my Symbian phone when I had one and now on Android and in my Linux boot. Few others are supported on as many platforms.
--
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they are not after you

Madtown
Premium
join:2008-04-26
Madera, CA
reply to whichpasswor

I use Last Pass. What got me using Last Pass was the PSN hack that happened a while back, even though I'm an Xbox Live user.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden
kudos:1
reply to whichpasswor

I like 1Password for both MacOS and Windows. I've gotten great service from it for years.

pats_lose

@comcast.net
reply to whichpasswor

I find the password manager in my head is currently still safest and most trustworthy to date.

Drunkula
Premium
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX
reply to whichpasswor

Keepass works for me. I even have it on my android.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to whichpasswor

KeePass has never let me down or sold the farm, so I'll continue to use it on multiple devices.

Blake

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Aaron11

said by Aaron11 :

I personally use SplashData's SplashID Safe and for me it is safest and trustworthy because they are the longest-running developer with well established support. They created specialized a variety of confidential data security applications for different purposes, whether for personal, business or even company-level use.

SplashID has problems -- they encrypt EVERYONE'S password with the same fixed master key, so anyone who gets your phone can decrypt your data. Search for the word "SplashID" in this review of iOS Password Mismanagers:
Security Now! Transcript of Episode #347
»www.grc.com/sn/sn-347.htm
I don't know if the Android and PalmOS versions use the same bad design logic but I expect they do.
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to pats_lose

said by pats_lose :

I find the password manager in my head is currently still safest and most trustworthy to date.

Keeping stuff in your head means you're almost certainly reusing passwords, which is far worse than picking a bad password.

ZipZap

@europa.eu
reply to DevilFrank

said by DevilFrank:

I do use Password Depot since V3. It´s not for free but it´s worth the money in my eyes.

+1 . Very solid solution.

cuda7071

join:2001-03-16
Mars, PA
reply to whichpasswor

Been using Roboform for years, never been sorry.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
reply to Mangix

said by Mangix:

I use free LastPass. The main reason is all the integration with chrome and everything else. Website is nice as well.

I use Lastpass as well for maintaining passwords for all non-financial web sites. All the usual web sites like dslreports, facebook, msn it is good enough for me.

But for banks, brokerages, retail sites, health insurance site, etc. I use an offline tool: Password Corral 4.0.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to therube

said by therube:

Password Corral
Got to be safe. I'm likely the only one left using it .

Nope I use it too and have been for years.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

FFH
Premium
Tavistock NJ
reply to pats_lose

said by pats_lose :

You must have a great memory. I have over 90 passwords to various sites. All are randomly generated and different from site to site. I am happy to just remember the passwords to the 2 password tools I use.
--

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

reply to whichpasswor

I like using Post-it v1.0.

I've actually decided to start using KeePass Professional.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium
join:2001-08-27
Canada
kudos:16
reply to whichpasswor

Been using Keepass2 for years and it hasn't let me down yet.

Expand your moderator at work

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Premium,Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky
kudos:3

(topic move) Which password manager is the safest and most trust

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 4 followups to it), has been removed

Dovell

@cox.net
reply to whichpasswor

Re: Which password manager is the safest and most trustworthy?

For an enterprise environment, I prefer Power LogOn from Access Smart.