share rss forum feed

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

4 edits

[Info] Windows 8 Pricing Goes Back to Normal

quote:
Windows 8 Pricing Goes Back to Normal

...Microsoft said all along that the $39.99 price was a special offer, good only through January 31. And now Windows’ official blogger, Brandon Le Blanc, is confirming that the deal is ending. As of February 1, Windows 8 Pro will be a $199.99 upgrade, and the slightly more basic Windows 8 will be $119.99

Read more: »techland.time.com/2013/01/18/win···ISDfYmWz

Update on Windows 8 Pricing
Posted on: Jan 18, 2013 by Brandon LeBlanc
»blogs.windows.com/windows/b/blog···ing.aspx

Fact Check: Windows 8 Pricing Identical to That for Windows 7
"There's been a lot of whining this week. It's all unnecessary" - by Paul Thurrott

»winsupersite.com/windows-8/fact-···indows-7

• Microsoft hikes Windows 8 prices, now starting at $119 [pocket-lint.com]
»Friday Evening Links

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

1 recommendation

To keep the same price as Win7, well what are they up to?

Cudni

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Gone Fishing

said by Gone Fishing:

Windows 7
There's been a lot of whining this week.

Microsoft should have learned from the end of the temporarily-reduced payroll tax rate. If you reduce the cost of something temporarily, people are later going to be claiming that you "increased" it.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Gone Fishing

People are whining about the upcomming price hike to downgrade to Windows 8?

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
reply to Gone Fishing

Does the $39.99 upgrade work to upgrade "regular" windows 8 to pro?

Gem
Premium
join:2005-09-10
kudos:4

I think not, but easy enough to throw XP, Vista, or W7 to a hard disk.

Then you can download the upgrade to install W8 pro on that drive or even on to another drive.

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Gone Fishing

And they thought it wasn't selling well at the reduced cost. They won't sell any at the regular price.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
reply to Gone Fishing

I'd like to see them reduce the pricing on Windows 7 upgrades.. I bet lots of users will be goin' back to it, especially if they need to get some work done on their computers

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone Fishing

I wouldn't be staring into Windows 8 right now if not for the fact I scored it for 16 bucks.

Yes SIXTEEN bucks. My buddy went and got it and liked t so I decided ok 16 bucks is as he said virtually impossible to ignore.

I don't hate anything about 8, and I don't hate anything about 7. But it is inevitable, that an OS takes a long time to update/patch after installing.

7 is today a tedium I was ok with parting with. The update/patch portion was just not worth avoiding 16 bucks.

But 200 bucks? Ok come on, there is nothing THAT painful about finding a few drivers.

I would be getting Windows 8 only through force via a totally new system like a new laptop before I'd pay 200 bucks for it.

I can't picture ANY version of Windows worth 200 bucks since I have been using a computer.

Anyone that really has to pay for anything will have either already bought it, or won't be interested.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Sukunai:

I wouldn't be staring into Windows 8 right now if not for the fact I scored it for 16 bucks.

Yes SIXTEEN bucks. My buddy went and got it and liked t so I decided ok 16 bucks is as he said virtually impossible to ignore.

I don't hate anything about 8, and I don't hate anything about 7. But it is inevitable, that an OS takes a long time to update/patch after installing.

7 is today a tedium I was ok with parting with. The update/patch portion was just not worth avoiding 16 bucks.

But 200 bucks? Ok come on, there is nothing THAT painful about finding a few drivers.

I would be getting Windows 8 only through force via a totally new system like a new laptop before I'd pay 200 bucks for it.

I can't picture ANY version of Windows worth 200 bucks since I have been using a computer.

Anyone that really has to pay for anything will have either already bought it, or won't be interested.

For me 8 is 100% free. I run it on my work PC just to keep up with the new.

I COULD run it at home if I wanted.

At home I am sticking with Windows 7 as there is nothing in 8 that windows 7 doesn't give me.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Sukunai
Premium
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone Fishing

Well in the end, I would be inclined to agree, that 7 does everything I need it to do.

Right till you need to re install it.

Now I am of course happy to hear of all those that proudly claim to have no need to re install an OS. Wonderful, your world never has anything change in it, and nothing ever happens to your computer

I'd still be using 7 if not for the fact that occasionally I do modify my computers. And re installing 7 while not a traumatic experience, is still never the less more pain than it needed to be.

8 being new, it isn't dragging around a couple of years of accumulated updates/patches, as we all know MS and the world of computers at large never stops changing.

I first thought I would only require 8 as a tablet OS. I likely will continue to consider it just a tablet OS. But it doesn't come with a couple of years of accumulated baggage either.

Good luck not requiring to need to re install your OS though.
I have done it often enough to know it is more than enough effort updating and patching.

My desktop is still running 7, and likely will expire and still be running 7. It's not worth the effort to modify that computer. It's just a means to watch Netflix on to me. I am lucky it is even running, as last November it was nearly pronounced dead

But my laptop likes 8 enough. And I hate needing to spend undo effort maintaining it.

There is nothing like a new OS to eliminate a lot of updates and patches. Not that it won't need them. I won't say 8 is perfect and without it's own eventual baggage. In 2-3 years, it likely will be time to give 8 the boot as well. Just so long as they offer it for peanuts first.
I'd gladly re install an older OS even with all the effort instead of giving MS 200 bucks.

Joey1973

@verizon.net
reply to Sukunai

said by Sukunai:

So, basically, anyone who does buy it after the date will be part of the captive-gotta-have-it crowd, eh. (I guess that's one way to "increase" sales... though not enough to make up for everyone who won't be buying it because of the "normal" price.) For $200 I got my sister a Chromebook, specifically because it doesn't have Win8.

Sukunai
Premium
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone Fishing

It's not so much the sum as it is the value.

For 16 bucks it was sure a legit OS for 16 bucks? Hard to pass up.

200 bucks is just 200 bucks when it comes to 200 bucks.

I just dropped 300 bucks on a Nexus 7. Sure I might have gone and suffered another 200 and bought a Windows 8 using tablet. But I can't see any value in a 500 dollar purchase of what I already have in my 10 inch Android using tablet. I'd like to be able to play some Windows games on a tablet yes, but I don't have 500 bucks worth of interest yet

The Nexus 7 was about getting something purse sized really. I don't really like some aspects of Android, but again, it's like Windows 8, I don't hate it, but I need to need it bad enough too.

I'd have loved to get a Windows 8 using item in 7 inch range for 300 bucks. But until MS realizes the market for pretend Apple products is already fairly crowded, and there is only so many people that will be paying 600 bucks for a Johnny come lately product that isn't really great enough to merit that much interest eh.

Some things are just only worth so much. I'd rather have root canal than pay 200 bucks for Windows.

Gone Fishing
Premium

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Gone Fishing

Windows 8 Tip: Buy the Electronic Upgrade Now, Install It Later

quote:
w i n s u p e r s i t e . c o m

Windows 8 Tip: Buy the Electronic Upgrade Now, Install It Later
You can save big by buying the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade now, but install it in the future

Paul Thurrott

I recommend Microsoft’s web-based installer as the best way to purchase and install Windows 8 Pro. But with the special promotional pricing for this upgrade coming to a close, readers are wondering whether they can buy now (and save) but install later. The answer is a resounding yes.

In fact, you can buy now and install at any time through October 26, 2015.

This is great news. But it’s especially great news for the time being: As I write this, the January 31, 2013 deadline for the promotional pricing expiration is less than a week away. So you can buy the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade through Windows.com for just $39.99 (in the US) now, but install the upgrade at any time in the future, through October 26, 2015. If you have one or more PCs you think you will be upgrading in the future, don’t wait: The price for this upgrade goes up to $199.99 starting February 1, 2013.

(Here’s a meta-tip: You can buy up to five upgrades per email account.)

Here’s how to do it.
Read more @
»winsupersite.com/windows-8/windo···it-later

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to dave

Re: [Info] Windows 8 Pricing Goes Back to Normal

said by dave:

said by Gone Fishing:

Windows 7
There's been a lot of whining this week.

Microsoft should have learned from the end of the temporarily-reduced payroll tax rate. If you reduce the cost of something temporarily, people are later going to be claiming that you "increased" it.

Actually, the experiment just proved what most people already know. Very few people ever upgrade their version of windows, at any price. They "upgrade" when they buy a new PC with the latest windows installed on it.

Pretty much anyone who was going to buy the OS upgrade (aside from volume license companies, who sure don't pay $200 a pop for it) has already done it. Everyone else will upgrade if/when they ever get around to buying a new touch-enabled device with win8 on it.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

amungus
Premium
join:2004-11-26
America
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: Windows 8 Tip: Buy the Electronic Upgrade Now, Install It La

Waaaait a minute...
What's up with the Oct. 26th 2015 deadline?
I think we need clarification here.
The deadline seems to be for when you can use their installer, NOT when they key magically expires... at least, one can hope.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Sukunai

It was $16 for Windows 8 if you had bought a PC with Windows 7 after June/2013 or something like that. I bought one and put in on bootcamp. Not overly impressed, but it works better than most PC's because Windows 8 recognized the special pads that MacBooks have.

At first they didn't verify that you had actually purchased a Windows 7 system, afterwards, they did ask for a Windows 7 product key to verify.

It's not worth more than $40, IMHO, so I think MS is insane for asking $200.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8
reply to Gone Fishing

Re: Windows 8 Tip: Buy the Electronic Upgrade Now, Install It La

If you buy the Windows 8 Pro upgrade but do not install it yet would I still beable to use my current Windows 7 key that I used to upgrade from? Even on a new install?

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to J E F F

LOL.. I'm still looking for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit for $40. It's gonna hurt to shell out $140 when my activation grace period runs out next week.

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Gone Fishing

That settles that!!

I wasn't interested before.... Now they've simplified the decision!

I didn't do 3x, but 5 kind-of worked, 98 was a dog, 98SE was good, I didn't do Melenium, which I hear was a dog, but XP was good,
I'm sorry to say I did Vista (What a mess!), but I really, really like W7-64.......

But I've yet to hear or read anything about W8 that provides me with any features over W7-64 that will help me.

I'm not Bashing Microsoft..... I just want something for my money.
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Sukunai
Premium
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone Fishing

My buddy pointed out it was going for 16 bucks !!

He said they were not even verifying anything.

That was funny as hell I don't mind saying. They sure attended to that little gaffe fast.

I got it for 16, and 16 is no real challenge. 200? I'd be inclined to laugh at anyone paying 200 bucks for ANY form of software regardless of what it did.

Is 8 good enough for 200? Nope, not even close. Is it ok for 40? well it's a simple question, do you want to pay 40 now, or 200 later?

Do you really believe you can get by with 7 or earlier until 9 comes out? Are you looking forward to not being able to format and re install (without it being a real hassle that is) if that situation should ever come up? Have you ever formatted a computer and reinstalled the OS before though? If not, odds are you are unlikely to need to budge on this.

Go on using 7 if it is working for you. My desktop is still using it.
But if the day comes the desktop needs to be formatted and the OS re installed, I am likely gutting it for parts and letting it die.

The last time I installed 7, even though it is only a couple of years old now, it was just enough hassle I have no desire to do it again. Too many drivers changed, too many patches arrived, too much work following installing the OS.

None of that happened when I installed 8.

But there is only so much about 8 that is 'cool' really. And most of that 'cool' belongs on a tablet, not my laptop.

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Gone Fishing

Good luck with that. I wouldn't want it even if it was free.

Gone Fishing
Premium
reply to Gone Fishing

Microsoft Store: It's easy - choose from two editions

Windows - Microsoft Store Online
It's easy - choose from two editions
»www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss···y_020113
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Sukunai
Premium
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Gone Fishing

Over the years I have gotten plenty of use out of 'free' OS usage.

They always worked juuuuuust fine.

But it is a hassle, and a skill level thing doing so.

I won't be claiming 8 has improved my life that's for sure. In 3 years I expect to be in the same place I was a month ago.

I'm just happy whenever I need to reformat and reinstall, I can forget the hurdles and hoops this run through.

I think any that really needed 8 already have it though.

I am also plenty sure 'free' copies will be available like always as well.

16 bucks was a good trade for ditching that method for once.

I will be ok giving them 16 bucks in 3 years.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to Sukunai

said by Sukunai:

8 being new, it isn't dragging around a couple of years of accumulated updates/patches, as we all know MS and the world of computers at large never stops changing. ...

There is nothing like a new OS to eliminate a lot of updates and patches. ...

I laughed when I read this, because right after my first boot into Win 8 Pro, Windows Update informed me that it needed to install some Critical Updates. Some 450 MB worth!