Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Dish washer arms not spinning

but water does come out of the arms but they seemingly do not spin anymore.

How catastrophic is this?
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

It would probably help to post the model number. Is there a lot of mineral buildup in it?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Thought it would be a more generic answer... Maytag - model MDC5100AWB. Some mineral deposits - been running vinegar thru it pretty regular, though not on a monthly basis.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
reply to CylonRed

Maybe this will help:
»forum.appliancepartspros.com/dis···pin.html
--
"Executive orders" or rule by fiat. You decide.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to CylonRed

I've had problems in recent years due to a combination of low hot water temp and the new detergents. Try running some citric acid dishwasher cleaner through it. Amazon has several brands. It has worked good for me. A few times I have needed multiple treatments to get everything clean.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to DataDoc

Hmmm - could be - though after looking at the bottom arm - I can't figure out how it comes off. I don't see any type of screw. I can take part 36 off (3rd diagram) or how part #5 is remotely located.
--
Brian

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

Look at the Q&A at the lower part of this page:
»www.appliancepartspros.com/whirl···625.html
--
"Executive orders" or rule by fiat. You decide.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed

I helped a neighbor with a similar problem. Through a very unsophisticated process, I discovered that the water supply screen had gotten clogged with debris. The city had just flushed hydrants days before, so I am guessing that knocked this stuff loose - rust and slivers of wood.

Annmarie
Lillian
join:2000-11-11
kudos:5

said by ArgMeMatey:

I helped a neighbor with a similar problem. Through a very unsophisticated process, I discovered that the water supply screen had gotten clogged with debris. The city had just flushed hydrants days before, so I am guessing that knocked this stuff loose - rust and slivers of wood.

Unfortunately that is quite common by me. The water co is supposed to send a warning in advance but sometimes it "gets lost in the mail" and you are doing a white wash of laundry when brownish red water comes pouring out into the tub.
We have to clean out the faucets with screens for the rust particles.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

No problem with flushing of the hydrants - they do tell us and when it is done - the water is never discolored even though we have a hydrant in our front yard.

I finally got the parts apart - lots of minerals - I took a picture and will upload it shortly.

Going to use a lot of vinegar though I might have to break out the CLR and gloves...
--
Brian

Annmarie
Lillian

The CLR is great! The real one if you can find it. They cahnged the ingredients and made a new bottle but it does not work as well as the real one.
--
Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are good is like expecting the bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to CylonRed

Click for full size
I often forget the gift that the glaciers brought us in Ohio - then I get reminded....

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to CylonRed

Head to TSC - they'll have more heavy-duty stuff than the watered-down, consumer grade stuff Lowes and similar will sell.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Got it cleaned up as well as I could - we have the older CLR. Had to work hard to clear out the arms - both ends were plugged up, especially on the upper arm.

Running CLR thru a cycle again - sounds like the arms are spinning again...
--
Brian

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

How did you cycle some CLR through it?

I have a dishwasher issue as well. I think the water doesn't get jetted up the arms as much as it should (If I interrupt mid-cycle, msot top dishes are only steamed, not soaked). So I want to do an attempt at clearing the residues. I can hear the dishwasher pump still works, or it's the arms, but there's a lot of noise, just not the splashing I'd usually hear against the door.

Bornloser

join:2002-09-04
Alliance, OH
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
reply to CylonRed

By the looks of your picture, I'd be willing to bet that you are either on very hard water or are using the gel detergent. If your are using the gel, STOP. The stuff is crap and that is the end result from prolonged use. I see it just about every day.

Annmarie
Lillian
reply to alkizmo

FYI - the newer CLR bottle that says something to the effect of "better for the environmental" sucks.

Try to find the original formula and stock up

I love CLR.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Bornloser

We have very hard water... I have used gels before and have some now but still trying to find a detergent I like.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to alkizmo

Used the instructions on the CLR bottle. Normal wash - when it gets to the actual wash cycle (past the first rinse) then add in a half cup of CLR and let it finish the cycle. Then run another full cycle using cold water.

Our arms were full of lime - I could not get all of it out but had to do a LOT of poking and prodding in the holes.

All I can do now if keep clearing the holes and call the softener repairman tomorrow.
--
Brian

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

I dont know if those instructions work every time.

My dishwasher sort of cause into a confused seizure when you interrupt it. It doesn't really resume, it seems to flush its water tank and start over with a fresh batch.

You and me, buddy, will be cleaning our dishwashers this week.
May I suggest you take OUT the arms, lay them in a shallow bucket large enough to hold the arms, then soak in CLR to let it sit for 24h or something.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

still trying to find a detergent I like.

You want this - Note price is for a case of 6 -
»www.restockit.com/cascade-automa···pg).html

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to alkizmo

The citric cleaner I mentioned earlier will remove that type of buildup. Here a link to one but I usually get it off of Amazon.

»www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/···1/273634

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to alkizmo

While I would not mind soaking it a lot longer to see if I can to get the lime out - I am not sure of the long term effect of old style CLR on plastic...
--
Brian

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by CylonRed:

still trying to find a detergent I like.

You want this - Note price is for a case of 6 -
»www.restockit.com/cascade-automa···pg).html

Negative. Add a teaspoon of this in your wash cycle. »www.lowes.com/pd_124762-68-63004_0__
--
Professional student pilot!

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to CylonRed

I have a Maytag that has a different front, but a nearly identical interior, as do my parents. In both our cases, both the lower and upper arms frequently plugged. At first we thought it was the white flaky stuff that we'd also find in the arms. However what it ended up being was the plastic screen on the "garbage disposal" portion of the lower arm that was slowly disintegrating. That may not be your problem, but doesn't take much to remove the few additional screws when you remove the lower arm to check.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Bruschi

said by Bruschi:

Negative. Add a teaspoon of this in your wash cycle. »www.lowes.com/pd_124762-68-63004_0__

To clean the dishes, or to clean the dishwasher itself?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to cdru

said by cdru:

That may not be your problem, but doesn't take much to remove the few additional screws when you remove the lower arm to check.

Already had it all apart yesterday to clean it all up - the screen is fine...
--
Brian

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to alkizmo

To clean the dishes!

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by Bruschi:

To clean the dishes!

Nothing I can toss in there to clean the dishwasher itself?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Vinegar. CLR or read the manual and see what it suggests.... I have not seen a manual for a dishwasher that did not have a suggestion for cleaning the inside of the dishwasher.

There is also the other citric cleaner mentioned on page 2 as well.
--
Brian