how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

roadsider7

join:2010-04-05
Jenkintown, PA

DISABLE Actiontec mi424 bridge mode!

After getting this router into bridge mode without too much trouble, I can't undo it. On my network, I also have an Actiontec ECB2200, which doesn't work if I put the router into bridge mode. Now that I've figured this out, I need to restore the original setup, but when I restore the original settings in the router, it does not connect to the internet. In the Network settings, I'm still seeing the thing listed in "bridge mode", and I can't seem to undo this. Please, for the love of god, help me.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

Have you done a hard reset on the router?
That should restore factory settings.

roadsider7

Jenkintown, PA

I have used the router's own "reset defaults" function on its internal web pages and I've used the reset button on the back of the unit, each several times. If there is another way or another reset function, please clue me in.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

You need to hold the reset button in until all the lights go out. This is usually about 10 seconds. If this doesn't reset the router to factory defaults, the router is bad.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

roadsider7

Jenkintown, PA

I've done that a few times so I'm left to conclude the router might indeed be bad.

yyonline

join:2009-02-09
Downingtown, PA
reply to roadsider7

I wonder if your DHCP lease hasn't yet expired... I run into this problem when swapping routers. FiOS won't give you a new IP until your old IP expires. The lease time is 2 hours, so try resetting and then leaving the router unplugged for 2 hours. This will allow the lease to expire. If that doesn't work, sounds like a bad router.

roadsider7

Jenkintown, PA

Does it matter, though, that when I restore the Verizon router to bridge mode and use my Netgear router for DHCP, everything works fine?

As an aside, I want to restore my Verizon router to its factory defaults because I believe my Actiontec ECB-2200 network adapter works in tandem with Verizon's router -- at least when it's not in bridge mode. Is that a correct assumption?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to roadsider7

•Which "bridge mode" option did you use?
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

Options 4 and 5 are the only true bridges.
Some of the other options are sometimes incorrectly referred to as bridges.

•What revision Actiontec do you have?

•Is the ECB2200 you have really an ECB2200, or is it a VZ branded ECB2200V?

•What are you using the ECB2200 for? PC, STB or something else?

•Do you have FIOS-TV?

said by roadsider7:

I believe my Actiontec ECB-2200 network adapter works in tandem with Verizon's router -- at least when it's not in bridge mode. Is that a correct assumption?

You need a MOCA bridge on each end of a MOCA LAN connection. Normally, the Actiontec serves as one end of that connection and the ECB2200 as the other end of that connection.

The ECB2200 will work with trade-offs options #5 (if that's what you're using) since the MOCA LAN on the Actiontec router is active to support the STBs. Trade-offs option #4 does not support MOCA LAN.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

roadsider7

Jenkintown, PA

first of all, thanks for the help.

I was using the setup as described here at DSL Reports.

»How-to: make ActionTec MI424-WR a network bridge

We have revision F

The ECB is a Verizon unit that we were using to access a TiVo.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Those instructions do not support MOCA LAN.

Please following the instructions linked in option #5 (double bridge) in the trade-offs FAQ.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

You need the second bridge in the double bridge configuration in order to support MOCA LAN.
--