how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AgentPhish

join:2003-04-02
Santa Clara, CA

Please help my 80 year old grandparents with uverse

Hello everyone, I'm hoping to get some help understand the terrible email system att seems to have in place in this situation.

My grandparents switched to UVERSE This past summer. Previously, they had standard att DSL. They have had that service for at least 6-8 years and have had an email address - example@att.net - which is still what is set up of their PC and is still working.

They got an iPhone yesterday, don't ask, I didn't want them to do it, and this opened a can of worms.

It seems to me that when they switched to uverse they were given a second a second email address which looks like -example1@att.net - note that there is now a 1 before the @att.net.

They had NO idea about this address until I tried to reset their password because they didn't know what it was, I found out via att's uverse password reset page that this other mystical example1@att.net account even existed.

So the two accounts APPEAR to be separate because if I email example@att.net it shows up on their PC. if I email the other, it does not.

Furthermore after a password reset was done, and att's web site would ONLY recognize the example1@att.net address to do any reset whatsoever, I am able to access that address via the att/yahoo webmail, and none of their email they receive on the PC is there. So, more evidence that these are physically separate accounts.

I am wondering if anyone can explain WHY this happened, and what to do about it. My grandparents are far too old to begin to understand any of this, and I can't seem to get att website to recognize their original, example@att.net, email address, so I'm not even sure what to try.

Frankly I don't care if I get to the bottom of the second account as long as we can do a password reset on the first one, and get it setup on their iPhone so they can use their original example@att.net on it.

Sorry for the long and confusing post but it doesn't make much sense to me either! Every time I get involved with att in ANY way it seems like a complete clusterfu**

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

doubleohwhat

join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

If it were me, I'd just set them up with a gmail, yahoo, etc account. There's really no reason to use an email account that is tied to an ISP account these days unless you just want to. Personally, I don't like the idea of my email account being at the mercy of an ISP and me at risk of losing access to the account if I ever change or cancel the service.

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA
reply to AgentPhish

I understand that, and you understand that, and given a choice, I would do that, but in an effort to not confuse them any further, and so that they don't have to change their address and notify the rest of their octogenarian friends of an email change, I would like to just keep it the same.

I am a very technical person, I use multiple gmail, yahoo, and iCloud accounts and I troubleshoot many different types of network and computing equipment for a living, but this att nonsense that's going on makes NO sense to me. I would never use an ISP email.

I have figured out I can login to their myATT page and see their bill and all of that by using the example1@att.net address.

The example@att.net address is not mentioned anywhere at all within that myATT page, nor will att's website let me reset the password for that email account. If I put that account in, the next screen that pops up and asks to verify the billing zip declines the zip I put in each time. They have lived there for 22 years.

Lame sauce att. Lame sauce.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04

I believe Tier 2 can help you, try 866-329-2662, its no where near the wait time of that 2020 #

Rangersfan

@sbcglobal.net
reply to AgentPhish

When an existing AT&T DSL customer switches to AT&T U-verse, they have the option of either maintaining their existing AT&T DSL email account as their AT&T U-verse email & account log in OR they can create a new email address. It sounds like a new email address was created for your grandparents to be used for their U-verse email address and account log in. I don't know if their U-verse email address name can be changed at this point to be the same as what their DSL email address was. You call U-verse Technical Support to see if that is possible.

I assume that the issue is that your grandparents don't know the password for their existing DSL email address?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to doubleohwhat

It is going on two years since I quit AT&T, and I still have my 'pacbell.net' accounts. You suggest a "Yahoo!" account. Well, all AT&T email is handled by Yahoo!. When I left AT&T, my 'pacbell.net' accounts were converted to Yahoo! Web mail.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA
reply to UverseTech

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll be giving a call and trying to figure this out tomorrow.

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA
reply to Rangersfan

To answer the question about the password of the old account, they thought they had it written down and theres a very limited number of passwords they have ever used, but I cant even seem to locate the appropriate page to attempt to reset that DSL password if needed.

Each time I think i've found a new page that might help it ultimately loops me back to the myatt login/password reset page and it rejects their zip code when I put it in their example@att.net address. Lame.

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA
reply to AgentPhish

.... also I attempted to use »www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···NMSvR91y the instructions on this page to link their account, but the page's instructions don't work as there is no portion of the page once logged in with their Uverse account that says "My Linked Accounts"

Forosnai

join:2011-09-30
kudos:2
reply to AgentPhish

Here is what happened. Your folk had a paid email account through ATT when they had DSL. When your folk registered for the new Uverse Internet they chose to "create a new ID" instead of "use existing ID". So now their familiar email is in no way associated with their paid Internet account. It is defaulted to a free ATT email. See »www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp···bGYmXCR2
Set aside some time and gather as many notes as you can, then contact Tier 2 and have them re-register the Uverse account with their old email address.

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA
reply to UverseTech

Well.... if this is your tier 2 support I'd very much dislike working for your company. I simply began to explain that I was calling on behalf of my 85 year old grandfather who doesn't understand any of this, and as of this summer had DSL...

The woman immediately cut me off and said, "I'm not DSL support, I can't help with that"

I said, "That was simply incredibly rude. I was in the middle of explaining why I called and you cut me off mid sentence and said you could not help. Do you understand how that feels to me?"

She said, "Well i'm not DSL support"

I said, "Well I am calling about uverse but you need this information for you to actually solve my problem, but since it seems like you're not willing to act like a customer service agent and listen to a customer I will just try calling back to speak to someone else"

She said, "I'm trying to assist you sir" "Clearly you're not." I said.

Not my first poor interaction with someone at AT&T (wireless previously) so I can't say I'm surprised.

I do what she does for a living but with customers in person. I would NEVER be caught dead behaving like this.

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA
reply to UverseTech

Thanks for that number, took 3 calls to get someone who would actually listen and help me.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Reviews:
·Charter

That's not too bad sometimes it took me more than that , I called it dialing for dummies

If you get the clowns in the Philippines just hang up and call back, they are just script readers and poor at that.

AgentPhish

Santa Clara, CA

So I got it sorted, but they were incapable of explaining the following:

- Why this secondary account was created when my grandparents have no idea it exists
- Why couldn't they just use their original email.
- Why couldn't I reset the password for the original email via the web site even when it ended up that I had the right credentials to do so.

They ended up resetting the password for me manually on their end, then after that I could reset it on my own, which I found really odd. Then after setting it up on my iPhone once as an "Other..." Acccount type, it locked me out again completely via web or phone, until I tried setting it up as a standard Yahoo account on my phone as a test, then suddenly I could get into the web interface and the phone and they were getting messages on their PC.

It's like their account was stuck in purgatory someplace.

This is why I don't do business with AT&T personally.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

said by AgentPhish:

So I got it sorted, but they were incapable of explaining the following:

- Why this secondary account was created when my grandparents have no idea it exists

Already explained. When setting up a new U-verse account, there is an option presented to either get a new AT&T email address, or use an existing account. Their new account was set up with the first option instead of the second option.

- Why couldn't they just use their original email.

They could have. I was able to set up a friend so she kept her original AT&T Worldnet email address; and this was before U-verse was widely available (she was going from "AT&T Worldnet" dial-up to the then brand new. "at&t Yahoo! HSI" service).

- Why couldn't I reset the password for the original email via the web site even when it ended up that I had the right credentials to do so.

Did you log in at, 'mail.yahoo.com'? Once the new account was in place, the old account was converted to a free, Yahoo! Mail account.

This is why I don't do business with AT&T personally.

While I no longer do business with them, I have set up four accounts over the years, and never had trouble getting the desired account configuration.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum