how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Grover8

join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

How to upgrade to Motorola 7xxx series for free

If you have one of the old Motorola 6xxx series, whether it be a DVR or non-DVR, you can upgrade for free via a trick.

Verizon is offering Free NHL preview til January 31st. Now when you have the old box and try to tune to channel 1470 you will get a message saying you need to upgrade your box to view this channel. This is due to the channel being MPEG-4 which the Motorola 6xxx series do not support. Go through the process and Verizon will ship a new box to you in 3-7 business days via UPS.

Also you can order a new remote if you want also from your TV. Go go to In-Home-Agent and select "get new remote".

The box is a free upgrade. No extra charge other than what your paying monthly for the box.

Enjoy!

ptuck874

join:2008-10-28

dude, thanks so much, worked and order placed!!! nice trick

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Grover8

Nice! Get those old boxes out!

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

2 edits

said by Jackarino:

Yep, the sooner we do, the quicker more HD channels roll out.

irwe

@verizon.net
reply to Grover8

Great trick. However not the first time VZ is giving free STB upgrades via an automated process.

I remember several IMG revisions ago they had a menu choice 'Check STB ...' that gave you the choice order a free box upgrade. The wording was vague, it did not mention MPEG-4 or any reason why you would need an upgraded box.

Now if VZ was as generous giving their customers with the older Actiontec routers a free upgrade to the latest REV I ........

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX
reply to Grover8

I already have two 7100 p2's and a 7232 p2 dvr and i'm at a loss as to why the channels say they are currently unavailable when i tune to them.

Bytezboy

join:2001-05-17
New York, NY
reply to Grover8

Thank you for the info.

suburban06

join:2008-10-20
Newtown, PA
reply to Grover8

Great info!. Thanks! Have tried on a few of the STBs I have and keep getting "Network Failure. Connection to the server failed. Please try again after some time."

Grover8

join:2012-01-06
Fresh Meadows, NY

I had network error as well but it says the order went through and it should be fine. It says don't resubmit order.

I got my shipping email with UPS tracking number. It's coming to me tomorrow Tuesday 1/21 from Horsham, PA. I live in Queens, NY. Pretty fast

bt06437

join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX
reply to Grover8

Thank you ! Did the upgrade this am.

mewing80

join:2008-11-14
Sewell, NJ
reply to Grover8

What do you do with the old 6XXX boxes when you get the new ones?

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

said by Jackarino:

Yep, the sooner we do, the quicker more HD channels roll out.

Unfortunately they continue to give them out.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to mewing80

said by mewing80:

What do you do with the old 6XXX boxes when you get the new ones?

They provide a return postage paid UPS label for the shipping box.

nyrmetros

join:2008-02-01
Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to Grover8

said by Grover8:

If you have one of the old Motorola 6xxx series, whether it be a DVR or non-DVR, you can upgrade for free via a trick.

Verizon is offering Free NHL preview til January 31st. Now when you have the old box and try to tune to channel 1470 you will get a message saying you need to upgrade your box to view this channel. This is due to the channel being MPEG-4 which the Motorola 6xxx series do not support. Go through the process and Verizon will ship a new box to you in 3-7 business days via UPS.

Also you can order a new remote if you want also from your TV. Go go to In-Home-Agent and select "get new remote".

The box is a free upgrade. No extra charge other than what your paying monthly for the box.

Enjoy!

Would this work on a free for life 6xxx box? Would I increase any monthly fees?

vftrwe

@verizon.net
reply to Grover8

Is the remote free also?

I noticed the order remote menu choice for some time, never tried it because it wasn't clear if there was a charge for it or not?

Thanks.

PirateJim
Premium
join:2007-07-11
Toms River, NJ

I've ordered a remote thru the In-Home Agent before, and it is, indeed, free ..

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

The rule is 1 free replacement 2-button remote per box per year.

vftrwe

@verizon.net

Thanks everyone for the info.

Verizon sells several different kinds of remotes on their own website. The 2-button (controls two devices) one is the cheapest and the one that each new subscribers get. So I guess the only people that pay money for one are those that want a nicer remote or already gotten their free 2-button remote.

I will go ahead and order a 2-button one from the TV set, I am so used to the 2-button one that it doesn't make sense to pay for something fancier. The only reason I am even ordering one is that my wife recently dropped and cracked the one that we had since installation several years ago, it still works just looks bad.

mewing80

Sewell, NJ
reply to Grover8

Is it possible you may get a cisco box instead of a motorola?

mewing80

Sewell, NJ
reply to Grover8

Disregard I got the motorola

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to mewing80

said by mewing80:

Is it possible you may get a cisco box instead of a motorola?

Not likely. My sister pays for the DVR, had a 6416. I finally got her to call and get another, they sent a 7232 Moto. I told her to ask for the Cisco, but the rep was a jerk about it and she didn't fight him.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

The reps have no control over which STB's are sent out...

Greg2600

Belleville, NJ
reply to Grover8

Well, he should have said that, rather he told her it made no difference, all DVR's were the same. She didn't care, she just wanted the full HD guide.

nickyboy4

join:2008-07-24
Farmingdale, NY
reply to Grover8

My brother has a 6416, do you think they will send him a 7232? Hope so.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
reply to Greg2600

And in Motorola/Cisco areas, Motorola is the default STB for exchanges by mail - so if you currently have Motorola, you'll only get Motorola as a replacement. You can't request Cisco to replace a Motorola, and Motorola to replace Cisco....

ptuck874

join:2008-10-28
reply to Grover8

good gracious, finally hooked up new box today, and man, so much more speedier, thanks op! worked like a charm!

IOPerer

@verizon.net
reply to nickyboy4

If anybody has gotten a free 7232 through this trick please let the board know.

Sometime ago there was talk that the 7216 STBs were being retro-fitted with 500GB hard drives so they will have the same internal storage capacity as the 7232 STBs.

I think that the 7216 supports MPEG-4, so it is possible that they can be reused.

Exactly what model number has anybody gotten????

redmond

join:2001-04-24
Wayne, PA
reply to Grover8

I got a 7216 with an upgraded 500g hard drive. 2 day turn around.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
reply to IOPerer

The 7216-P2 has a 500GB drive in it.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

said by nycdave:

The 7216-P2 has a 500GB drive in it.

Only if it's been retrofitted. Original 7216-P2s in the field still have 160GB drives.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.