spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

Roof noise after new roof installation

I got a new roof this past summer (complete tear down) on my townhouse. I haven't had any problems with leaks but I do have a noise issue when the wind blows. The noise comes from where the firewall between the units meets the roof and it only occurs in 1 spot. There aren't any vents in the immediate area where the noise occurs. I've had the installer back out and he didn't see anything wrong when he went back up on the roof.

I'm going to send him a recording of the noise but I wanted to see if anyone on here had any ideas.

»youtu.be/YHy-B3B3Sa8

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

Wow thats a crazy noise... sounds like someones on yer roof with a chainsaw! lol

you definitely have something loose up there, be it a shingle, flashing, etc, and it is vibrating in the wind..

you need to nail down exactly -where- its coming from, and relay that to the roofer.. the video was a good idea.

good luck

-j

dosdoxies
Premium Member
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA

dosdoxies to cowspotter

Premium Member

to cowspotter
There's something up there and it's really mad!

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to tp0d

MVM

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

you need to nail down...

Pun intended?
Hellrazor
Bah Humbug
join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA

Hellrazor to cowspotter

to cowspotter
Can you get a picture of the roof from the offending location? I heard a similar noise on my house during the 70mph winds from Hurricane Sandy. It was the vented soffit vibrating during the extreme winds.

My guess is something on the capping didn't seal, wind is getting under it and resonating on end of a piece of tar paper.

Or

You have a horny whitetail deer on the roof grunting like crazy...

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to cowspotter

to cowspotter
You need to go up there and find who is doing the haircomb+paper whizzing noise. He probably will be a mustachioed man, so be careful.

But ya it sounds like something whizzing in the noise, could be anything really (not necessarily a bad roofing job), so go track it down then nail it down/up/in/out.

cowspotter
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

Unfortunately this is a 3 story townhouse and I don't have a ladder tall enough to get up there. I've got the location pretty nailed down so ill pass along the additional info to the roofer. I agree that it's not a bad roofing job, just something we need to figure out. The noise occurs above my bedroom and is just annoying when I'm trying to fall asleep.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

It sounds metallic to me. I'm guessing it's flashing with an exposed edge or corner. It's also fairly high frequency, which would indicate pretty small in size, so it wont be "obvious" at first glance. I would think that just a dab of roofing adhesive would dampen/kill the vibration. I wouldn't think "nailing" through a new roof would be necessary.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to cowspotter

Premium Member

to cowspotter
Similar, but not quite the same .... My mother in law's house had this awful noise on windy days. Like a horrible creaking in her livingroom.

Turns out, as a tree in her front grew, it's trunk was rubbing against the phone line. As the tree moved ever so slightly in the wind, it was playing the phone line like a violin! She never believed me and didn't want to 'bother' the phone company, so I did the next logical thing .... Switched her to fios as soon as it was available. The guys cut and removed the copper line, and problem solved!

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn to cowspotter

MVM

to cowspotter
Well, if this were a contest, and no information as to the source of the noise was provided, I'd guess that it is someone playing a kazoo with their butt while farting. I suppose that is unlikely. Is it near where any iceblock material stops? I'm thinking that at some locxation where it ends (probably near some flashing, some wind is getting in there and causing it to vibrate).

Hawk
Premium Member
join:2003-08-25

Hawk to cowspotter

Premium Member

to cowspotter
We tried searching for a smilier occurrence once by feeling (with our hands) along the inter walls, joists & beams to see if the vibration would feel stronger or weaker as we went. We did find the source but not from that method. Might be worth a try if you haven't already. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Good Luck!

screavan
join:2012-11-27
Pearcy, AR

screavan to cowspotter

to cowspotter
I've heard that noise before... but it was one p'd off squirrel that got caught in a live trap...

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo
join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

R4M0N to tp0d

to tp0d
said by tp0d:

Wow thats a crazy noise... sounds like someones on yer roof with a chainsaw! lol

I thought you were just being dramatic... until I watched the video. LOL... That does sound like a chainsaw.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to owlyn

Premium Member

to owlyn
said by owlyn:

Well, if this were a contest, and no information as to the source of the noise was provided, I'd guess that it is someone playing a kazoo with their butt while farting. I suppose that is unlikely. Is it near where any iceblock material stops? I'm thinking that at some locxation where it ends (probably near some flashing, some wind is getting in there and causing it to vibrate).

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought that the OP took his camcorder in the attic with him and began farting like there is no tomorrow.
I'll bee keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

said by natedj:

said by owlyn:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I thought that the OP took his camcorder in the attic with him and began farting like there is no tomorrow.
I'll bee keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

bwahahahah beano be damned!

-j

cowspotter
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

Roofer came out. He was cracking up watching the video, said he was going to share it with the rest of the guys he works with. We're trying some spray foam in the small gap where the air is shooting through and causing the vibration. It's not a water leak so I'm ok with the fix. If it happens again then I think the siding on my neighbors house will need to be pulled off where it meets my roof. Our units are staggered so their siding joins up with my roof.

Hoping it's fixed though...