how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Chriso123

@virginmedia.com

[Config] Cisco 871w - All Baud Rates result in Gibberish

Hi all,

Just found a router in my stores at work, they gave it me and I've just plugged it in to my PC through a Serial Com port.

In the demo version of HyperTerminal I get nothing, but in Tera Term i get this:
»s13.postimage.org/dvhvdu807/baud.png

I've tried every single baud rate. Any ideas how I can make this behave?

markysharkey
Premium
join:2012-12-20
united kingd
Were you using a PC with a serial port or was it a serial to USB adapter? If you have a USB to serial adapter, you wouldn't be the first to see the USB driver mangling the output.
It's usually a good idea to go in to Device Manager on the PC and make sure the USB port is mapped to COM1, 2, 3, or 4. I don't think that will be your problem, but it needs ruling out IMHO.
Try an ethernet cable in each of the 4 LAN ports. You may get lucky and get the required DHCP response. If you do, try telnetting in. If that doesn't work, try SSH.
If all else fails (and by all else, I mean rule out a duff serial cable, duff USB adapter, duff driver, duff install of Hyperterminal / Tera Term / PuTTy etc etc) then hard reset it.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to Chriso123
said by Chriso123 :

I've tried every single baud rate.

Which every single baud rate did you try?

As other mentioned, try to use an actual serial cable and COM1 DB9 or DB25 port instead of using USB port.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to Chriso123
What settings are you using? Typical settings for a Cisco console are 9600-N-8-1.

Chriso123

@nhs.uk
Yeah I'm using the Serial port in the PC.

I've fixed it, it was a faulty cable.

Thanks guys.